Photo

Deleting A Operating System

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 Houie

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Ok I recently (well maybe not recently) suffured from a very very bad virus it like killed my OS (long story) so some guy (supposed to be good with computers pfft) did somethign and put 3 OS'S on my computer and I only use one (the second one) and I want to delete the other 2 (mainly the 1st because it has so much stuff on it which is useless) so does anyone know how to delete a OS...

Also Its when its loading my BIOS it says which OS would you like to use...

Thank you! :applaud:

#2 Jack

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

I can't help you with the OS question, but I can tell you that it is "Lin" not "Len". You may also want to check some of the other cool people.

#3 The Xevious

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:55 PM

I can't help you with the OS question, but I can tell you that it is "Lin" not "Len".

:rofl:

Check your boot.ini, then see where the other two lead to, find those partitions and wipe em. If you have only one partition, it should matter as the installation is just some windows files.

#4 Houie

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

I can't help you with the OS question, but I can tell you that it is "Lin" not "Len". You may also want to check some of the other cool people.

But I mean "Len".... Theres a person named "len" and he is "Cool"... :D

Xev not really sure what you mean but ill probably figure it out...
Also where is Boot.ini?

Edited by Houie, 20 March 2006 - 07:59 PM.

#5 The Xevious

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:00 PM

C:\boot.ini

#6 Houie

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

Weird it was hidden ok, sorry for all the trouble Xev but Im not really sure where the path is...
What boot.ini looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.1="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Thank though! :D

#7 The Xevious

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:05 PM

All of those are the same installation of Windows, they all go to the same place, the second one has a uesless trigger added to it to enable something that can not be disabled after Service Pack 2 of Windows XP. Nothing to worry about, change

timeout=30

to

timeout=0

to remove the menu.

#8 Houie

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:08 PM

Ok im using the 2nd one now and I just use the 2nd one as my main one... So does that timeout thing delete the 2nd?

Yes I know im a noob or in usha way a knob... :(

I wish it said Group: TOTAL NOOB for me

Edited by Houie, 20 March 2006 - 08:10 PM.

#9 The Xevious

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:17 PM

It wont delete anything, it makes it so it selects the default. But it doesnt matter, they are all the same installation, and 1 and 3 are the same, 2 has a useless option.

#10 JJ

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:19 PM

Houie, I'm starting to get concerned pal. Your not making sense.........I think you have been off the beach to long......{OTC} JJ

#11 Houie

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

Ok Xev.... It says can not C:\boot.ini file. Make sure the path and filename are correct.

JJ: Errm well I miss it alot... I just feel really stupid and every single day im mad at my self and well even though it might seem like something small... But its like huge to me... :(

Edited by Houie, 20 March 2006 - 08:24 PM.

#12 The Xevious

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:28 PM

Ok Xev.... It says can not C:\boot.ini file. Make sure the path and filename are correct.

Can not what?

#13 Houie

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:30 PM

Opps... cannot create the file... Even though I want creating it I clicked file/save...

#14 phinnaeus

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

sounds like it might be set as read only or something, thats easy to change though. that might not me it however.

#15 The Xevious

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

It's usually Read-Only. Make sure it's not Read-Only, if it is then disable that. Then save it again.

Right Click the file, click Properties, then un-check Read Only.

#16 Houie

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

Well, I had to go to the file directly in the like adress bar and not double clicking the file... Its like its not there...10 (like hidden yes I know im using alot of likes)

#17 The Xevious

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:34 PM

Well, I had to go to the file directly in the like adress bar and not double clicking the file... Its like its not there...10 (like hidden yes I know im using alot of likes)

Did you get it working then? Or did it not un-read-only itself?

#18 Lin

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

Also where is Boot.ini?

He's mad at me 'cause I grounded him for saying the F-bomb in game. He'll be back in a week.

BTW...FlashChat is kewl...and real time.

#19 JJ

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:00 PM

JJ: Errm well I miss it alot... I just feel really stupid and every single day im mad at my self and well even though it might seem like something small... But its like huge to me... :(

I'm sure it is and next time you will not be an ass, you will behave........it will pass soon and you'll be back, you'll see pal........{OTC} JJ

#20 Jack

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

Also where is Boot.ini?

He's mad at me 'cause I grounded him for saying the F-bomb in game. He'll be back in a week.

BTW...FlashChat is kewl...and real time.

What is FlashChat and where can he, I mean I, find it?

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com