Photo

clocking the cpu

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 commando

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:31 PM

i'm concidering to clock my cpu do anyone know how to do it (and yes i'll do it on my own risk ;) )

#2 Linux

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:36 PM

First search alternate forums for specs on your CPU, then restart your computer, hit DEL and go into Advanced BIAS Settings. Increase your FSB to around what the specs say, and load back up. Keep playing with your FSB until you have found a clock that works flawlessly.

On my old CPU, an Athlon XP 2600+, I overclocked it from stock 1.9ghz to 2.2ghz. This still ran comfortably, but make sure your thermals are running good, all of your games take it and dont shut down after twenty minutes of play, and most of all that your computer starts back up.

If you do happen to clock it WAY too far, there is a default reset on your motherboard that will set it back to default settings. Read your motherboard manual for more information.

Good luck, and this does take a little while to find the right setting.

#3 commando

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:04 PM

thank you!

#4 commando

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:27 PM

1 more thing: i got a 1,0 ghz cpu but it makes wierd sounds if i clock it to 1,2...

1,1 works nice... :angry:

#5 Monkey

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:37 PM

sysopt check the forums there, You will be amazed at what all you can learn from them.

#6 HUMANITE

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:29 PM

Also try Overclockers they have a good forums. Mucho information on specs, tech, and all that good jazz. :D

#7 Boondock Saint

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:55 PM

There's a clock on our CPU's? Is it in the back or something? :huh:

#8 Why Two Kay

Posted 07 January 2005 - 05:49 PM

I think he means "OverClocking"

#9 Lady-Sapphire

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

You really need to give more then "My CPU" First is it AMD or Intel, then what core barton, prescot, ect. Also need to know what motherboard, and chipset. The main thing is the core. Many times there is more then one core type at a given CPU of a given clockspeed can be. Some can be over clocked int the Bios, some you have to physicaly modify the chip, and some you have to do both. Overclockers is good site to start with. I can not say enoght that if you are going to do this, get the best cooling system you can get in your rig. Learn to polish a heatsink, get artic silver, shims if need be. Your entire case needs to be cooled too, or else you are just pumping hot air back into you heatsink. You may see water cooling, think long and hard about this. Water and you PC, they really do not mix well. Many of the hard core hardware people that are useing water will tell you a water system takes days to put together. Basicaly, you put it in the system with nothing else in it(should take 4-6 hours depending on the system) then they run it for a day or two at full load to test if for leaks. If it leaks, they fix the leak and start the test over again. Then they put the system in.

Also, just my person take on overclocking with my 19 years experiance. If a a 1.5ghz chip was able to run STABLE at 1.75 or more in normal systems, don't you think they would set them to run there and charge us more for the chip? Yes people do over clock, yes it can be done, but to do it safely you have to go to some extreams to make sure you have the cooling taken care of.

#10 Why Two Kay

Posted 07 January 2005 - 09:13 PM

99% of Intel Motherboards are NOT overclockable. So if you bought your PC from Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP, etc...then you almost will never be able to overclock. AMD are good because they are all soft-clockable, meaning you can do it all in the BIOS, no need to move jumpers like in the lod days. :wheelchair:

#11 KAOPECTATE

Posted 07 January 2005 - 11:09 PM

There's a clock on our CPU's?  Is it in the back or something?  :huh:

:withstup: Yeah, I got a sweet clock with mine. It is on the lower right side. Never have to set it, wind it, or change the batts. It tells me the date if I roll my mouse over it and even changes with daylight savings AUTOMATICALLY!!!

Frankly, I'm surprised all yous techno geeks are impressed by this. I thought it was pretty standard stuff.:crazy2:

sheesh!

:evil3:

#12 Lady-Sapphire

Posted 08 January 2005 - 12:47 AM

99% of Intel Motherboards are NOT overclockable. So if you bought your PC from Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP, etc...then you almost will never be able to overclock. AMD are good because they are all soft-clockable, meaning you can do it all in the BIOS, no need to move jumpers like in the lod days. :wheelchair:

This is not entirely true. Intel chips can be overclocked, but not as easly as AMD. Intel Motherboards can be used in over clocking, but yea this is up there with acts of god, but can be done. Not all AMD cores are soft overclockable. Many require createing a electrical pathway between some of the contacts on the top of the chip, and one I read about (can remeber what core) required a electrical pathway between two pins before you put it in the scoket. And again many of the AMD cores require both the chip mod and the bios tuneing.

#13 Angel of Doom

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:02 AM

Ryan = PwnZ0red

#14 Akooma

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:15 AM

Why overclock?

When a chipset is designed it is not that speed by design. Let me translate.

When a chipset is created there is a theoretical max clock rate that the chip can withstand. For instance a Pentium 4 class processor running at 3.2 ghz is the exact same processor physically you buy at 3.6 ghz. The difference between the two is that the higher speed processor passed the speed quality check. They refer to this as burn-in.

Silicon is an imperfect material and the impurities play a role on what the speed the chip is marked at by the manufacturer. By overclocking your chip, you may get away with a faster processor speed but you may also get more errors, BSoD, and decrease your processor's life (if extremely overclocked and overheated).

I have only overclocked one chip (an AMD 800 mhz to 1 ghz). I can say I experienced the above problems. I suppose today's chips are more forgiving with 200 mhz since their speed is much higher but I'd have an extra $400 in the bank in case you fry your core.

In summary, most manufacturers if given the option to sell a Chip labeled 3.6 ghz for $600 dollars or downgrade it to 3.2 ghz and make $300 off it, they'll choose the prior every day of the week.

Good Luck.

Ak

#15 Angel of Doom

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:15 AM

Posted Image

#16 Diabl0

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:23 AM

AHhhhhhhhhh Wtf is that thing?

#17 Why Two Kay

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:26 AM

This is not entirely true. Intel chips can be overclocked, but not as easly as AMD. Intel Motherboards can be used in over clocking, but yea this is up there with acts of god, but can be done. Not all AMD cores are soft overclockable. Many require createing a electrical pathway between some of the contacts on the top of the chip, and one I read about (can remeber what core) required a electrical pathway between two pins before you put it in the scoket. And again many of the AMD cores require both the chip mod and the bios tuneing.

I didnt say that Intel chips are not overclockable, I said that an Intel chip (say a P4 2.8 GHZ) in a Intel Motherboard from a major company (Dell, Gateway, etc) is much more difficult, if not impossible, to overclock. They almost always lock out any change at a Soft-Clock and many do not have a jumper configuration, as its an Intel Motherboard, and Intel doesnt want you to run their PC any faster than its intended to.

As for the AMD chips, that was mainly for my personal experience with chips in the 1 GHZ-3 GHZ range, OEM chips. I found all of there perfectly overclockable in a $50 dollar motherboard (ECS K7VTA3) and with a $5 dollar fan. I made no modifications, and they all overclock very well, I got the 2000+ up to a 2600+ and the 1 GHZ up to 1.8 GHZ, all with that $5 fan and a not well ventelated (sp?) case.

#18 Lady-Sapphire

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:03 PM

Here is a few links on advice on how to connect the bridges on an AMD cpu.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1112/
http://www.overclock...om/articles432/

2kills, on your overclock, did you change the FSB or the multiplier? Also what did you change the voltage too?

#19 Why Two Kay

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:30 PM

I changed them all, I upped the voltage very small though, I would have to go into the BIOS to get the exact specifications and numbers.

#20 Afrika Korps

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:02 PM

What is the deal with the new Pentium 4 HT (Extreme Edition or not) chips? Do they have any special qualitys? Should I up-grade from a Pentium 4? :huh:

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com