Photo

CD rom drive help.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mexican eskimo

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:46 PM

i was messing around with my cd drives, trying to make it so the working one (dvd drive died couple months ago) was the main one because certain things dont work if cd isn't in main drive.

But now when i go into my computer or insert a cd it can't see either one. I went to install/upgrade the drivers and it says that they are up to date and they are working (but they aren't :( ). The power works on the drives, and i have them connected to the motherboard in their little slot thingy. But they don't work.

if it matters i have XP

#2 Scoop1967 - Dan

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:02 PM

The Master (Main) Drive should be on the end connector of the cable, the Slave (Second) should be on the 'middle' connector.
Be sure your Drive Jumpers are correct.
Here is a generic photo of jumper setings. Your Drives jumper may differ.
Posted Image

#3 mexican eskimo

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

wat's a drive jumper?

#4 Bullet-BS

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

On IDE channels some motherboards have 2 IDE channels IDE1 & IDE2.
Your C: drive will be the Master on IDE1 and then you have any other drive as the Slave. This will be the same for IDE2 if you have it.

BUT if your running a Dell then you have to set the jumper setting to CS (Cable Select).

#5 Scoop1967 - Dan

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:44 PM

wat's a drive jumper?

If you look at the back of your drive, near where the power cable and IDE cable plug in, you will see a set of pins, usually with a little black plastic piece attached to two of them. Moving this pl astic piece (JUMPER) to different positions tells the motherboard which drive is the master and which is slave. Like Bullet mentioned above, you can also choose 'cable select' and let the motherboard configure your drives automatically.

#6 mexican eskimo

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:07 PM

it's alive and kicking.
thx for the help scoop and bullet, the drive looks a little different than the picture but now i got a working drive, i took out the drive that isn't working since i was in there. (the old master) Now i got a big hole in the front of pc but who cares? :D

#7 Bullet-BS

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

SWEET!!!!! Glad I could help.

Now i got a big hole in the front of pc but who cares? biggrin.gif

Just added cooling airflow :)

#8 Major.Winters

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:43 PM

SWEET!!!!! Glad I could help.

Now i got a big hole in the front of pc but who cares? biggrin.gif

Just added cooling airflow :)

....or a new pleasure device....

0 user(s) are reading this topic