Photo

The Informative Thread

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#81 Highway Man

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

Throwing a Tecumseh engine on the mower really Dates this video.....

I trust my John Deere anyday! It can mow over sticks, rocks, bullets, shrubs, and I have even knocked over a tree with it!
Must be an older one then...

#82 Rubulator

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:07 PM

I dont have a lawn... I just whack the weeds a cpl times a year so the house doesn't look abandoned... :)

• Highway Man and Capn Cackler like this

#83 Highway Man

Posted 07 November 2019 - 09:17 PM

I dont have a lawn... I just whack the weeds a cpl times a year so the house doesn't look abandoned... :)

is the upstairs abandoned

:chk:

#84 Highway Man

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:21 PM

A slang term for Tecumseh engines are TickClunkSeized
  • Rubulator likes this

#85 Rubulator

Posted 08 November 2019 - 01:39 AM

is the upstairs abandoned

:chk:

Nah, it's just... vintage... like me :)

• Highway Man likes this

#86 HARRY TRIGGER

Posted 08 November 2019 - 09:26 AM

• Highway Man likes this

#87 Highway Man

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

I make washers out of old piston wrist pins. Hard material, but can be cut easy.
  • HARRY TRIGGER likes this

#88 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:28 PM

How to be a car mechanic:

• Rubulator and Highway Man like this

#89 Highway Man

Posted 25 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

Remember you pay for quality

• Rubulator likes this

#90 Rubulator

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:19 PM

Something we don't do a lot of anymore... Quality, longevity... 80%+ today is built cheap, and not too last... Consumerism to drive the $$ beast of society.

• Capn Cackler likes this

#91 Highway Man

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:20 PM

Something we don't do a lot of anymore... Quality, longevity... 80%+ today is built cheap, and not too last... Consumerism to drive the $$ beast of society.

They're making car engines and transmission without dipsticks to check the oil..
Briggs, Honda and kohler now put plastic cams in nearly all 10 HP or less engines, Kawasaki uses all steel cams now, they produced a engine in the 90s, the FD590V, plastic cam, luckily they learned from their mistakes.

Edited by Highway Man, 25 November 2019 - 07:30 PM.

• Rubulator likes this

#92 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

#93 Zap Rowsdower

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:02 PM

i had a 1999 and a 2000 chevy malibu. neither had a transmission dipstick. i guess they figured the engine would do before the transmission due to the intake valley gasket issue with all the v6's of this time.  my 2006 cobalt has both dipsticks and is chugging right along just dandy. i guess gm v6's are terrible. the family also had another 2000 malibu that also had the intake valley gasket issue and my ex's 2005 impala also had the same issue.  gm should be tarred and feathered for their v6 engines of this era. maybe they are better now,so a tar and feathering may be too stiff. but a poke in the eye should be a compromise.

on topic:

i nearly always carry a 63032 in my pocket. if not,its a schrade old timer 8ot my grandfather bought me when i was ten. i rarely carry this one though. its 30 years old but still looks new aside from the patina.

#94 Highway Man

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:03 AM

I carry a rough rider HR

IMG-20191128-080138.jpg
  • Zap Rowsdower likes this

#95 Zap Rowsdower

Posted 28 November 2019 - 09:47 PM

i'm stupid and cant figure out how to put pictures here. so i cant share mine. i've heard a lot of good about rough rider. i've wanted to get one of their congress patterns for awhile.

#96 Highway Man

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:58 PM

If sharpened right, they'll hold an edge for eternity.

#97 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:49 AM

You all are lucky this pistol/knife is not in BF1942

• HARRY TRIGGER, Zap Rowsdower and Rubulator like this

#98 HARRY TRIGGER

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:26 AM

You all are lucky there not one of these in game.

• Zap Rowsdower and Rubulator like this

#99 Highway Man

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

You all are lucky this pistol/knife is not in BF1942

A Knistol or a Pife....
  • Rubulator likes this

#100 Highway Man

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:09 PM

Magnetron

Briggs & Stratton developed the Magnetron ignition system in the 1980s. Similar to earlier induction ignition systems, the Magnetron system doesn't rely on mechanical points to generate current to the spark plug. Instead, the switching is performed by a pair of transistors. Magnetron ignition systems are so reliable that they have replaced breaker point systems in all lawn mower engines produced by Briggs & Stratton as well as in those produced by other manufacturers.

The ignition system starts a lawnmower and keeps it running by generating enough electric current to jump the gap between the electrodes of a spark plug, and to create a spark to ignite fuel in the combustion chamber. To do this, the system makes use of the phenomenon of magnetic induction, discovered by physicist Michael Faraday in 1831. Faraday discovered that magnetism and electricity are related, and that moving a magnet past a coil of conducting wire generates electric current in the wire. A corollary is that passing electric current through the coil generates a magnetic field that can induce current in a second coil.

Increasing Voltage
A lawnmower engine with a Magnetron ignition system has a flywheel, which is connected to the engine crankshaft. A single permanent magnet is attached to the edge of the flywheel, and each time the flywheel revolves, the magnet passes a coil of copper wire and generates an electric current in it. By itself, this current isn't strong enough to jump the gap across the spark plug electrodes, however, so the ignition system includes a transformer, which is a secondary coil with more turns than the original one. According to a law that Faraday discovered, the voltage induced in the second coil by the electromagnetic field generated by the first coil increases with the number of turns in the second coil.

Starting a lawn mower with a Magnetron ignition consists of spinning the flywheel, either electronically or manually, by means of a pull-rope. The voltage induced with each spin goes to the primary coil, which has about 75 turns. It induces a larger voltage in the secondary coil, which has more than 4,000 turns, and produces a current of about 10,000 amps, which is sufficient to jump the gap between the spark plug electrodes. The spark ignites the fuel, and the movement of the piston pushes the flywheel through another revolution, creating a self-sustaining cycle that powers the lawn mower.

I've been shocked by one of the coils before.
an Intek, pulled the plug, reattached the high tension lead, held it against the engine block and my dad pulled the core and I thought a bolt of lightening hit me
s-l1000.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com