Photo

Help With Windows 7 & BF1942/2/2142

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MaYoRofSMACK

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:05 PM

Hello folks,

A couple of week ago my trusty old PC with XP decided to give up the ghost so I've gone out & got myself a new PC with Windows 7.

I'm now fed-up of banging my head against the wall 'cos I can't get any of the BF games to work.

BF1942 loads up halfway before Windows saying something about closing the program & I end up back on my desktop.

BF2 & BF2142 just about let me join a server before I get kicked & end up back on the server select screen & it says "Punkbuster" No message with it saying why its kicked me.

I've downloaded pbsetup & ran it numerous times, & it keeps telling me that I'm bang uptodate.

It's Windows7 64bit if that's any use.

Any help would be bloody great as I've only shelled out for a new PC to play the BF games (Especially 1942, pleeeeease tell me there is a way to fix the problem for that)

Thanks in advance, MOS.

#2 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Run Bf1942 as Administrator and XP Service pack2

#3 MaYoRofSMACK

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

Run Bf1942 as Administrator and XP Service pack2

Can you explain more please?

What do you mean by run it as an admin? I am the admin on the PC if that's what you mean?

How do I put XP service pack 2 onto Windows 7?

#4 dodgem

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

I'm also on Windows 7 64 bit. It's a bitch....maybe even worse than vista in terms of getting 1942 to work properly.

Update PB, make firewall exceptions for bf1942. Run BF1942.exe in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and as an administrator.

Even after doing all this my game will crash quite often on load/map changes (but when it does, third time is usually lucky), and when I alt-tab excessively or for too long. But generally it won't kick you once you're in and playing.

#5 MaYoRofSMACK

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:28 PM

I'm also on Windows 7 64 bit. It's a bitch....maybe even worse than vista in terms of getting 1942 to work properly.

Update PB, make firewall exceptions for bf1942 and PnkbstrA and B (I think I found them in C:Windows\SysWOW64). Run BF1942.exe in compatibility mode for XP SP2 and as an administrator.

Even after doing all this my game will crash quite often on load/map changes (but when it does, third time is usually lucky), and when I alt-tab excessively or for too long. But generally it won't kick you once you're in and playing.

Cheers for the reply mate, but can you say it all again in English :lol:

#6 dodgem

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:47 PM

Can you come into Teamspeak?

#7 MaYoRofSMACK

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:00 PM

Can you come into Teamspeak?

I haven't got TS on here at the minute mate no.

Come to think of it I think I chucked my old headset out even if I did install it :lol:

#8 dodgem

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

Okay:

Find your "pb" folder here:

My Computer>C-DriveProgram Files(x86)\EA Games\Battlefield 1942.

Delete the whole folder, then update punkbuster using this link:

Click Here

(If you want to play BF2 and 2142, you'll also need to select and update them from the drop down menu in PBSetup)

THEN:

go to Start>Control Panel>System and Security, and select "Allow a program through Windows Firewall"

Select "Allow another program", and then select Battlefield 1942 from the list. If it's not there, you'll have to browse to:

C:Program Files(x86)\EA GAMES\Bf1942 and select "Bf1942.exe". Click Add and then Ok.

THEN:

Find your BF1942 shortcut which you use to start the game. Right click it and select "Properties". Go to the compatibility tab and tick the box to "Run in compatibility mode", and select "Window XP Service Pack 2" from the drop down list. Also tick the box at the bottom for "Run this program as an Administrator". Click Ok.

Then try running BF1942 and see if you can connect.
  • MaYoRofSMACK likes this

#9 MaYoRofSMACK

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

Dodgem, I can not even find the words to tell you how much I bloody love you !!!!!!!! :cowmoo: :pinkele: :cowdance:

You've only gone & bloody sussed it ..... I can play BF1942 on Moongamers again :applaud:

You're a legend man, thanks a bloody million :wub:

#10 MaYoRofSMACK

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

I'm back with another problem :lol:

My sound doesn't appear to be right. I've got 5.1 speakers & they all work, I've put my ear to each one & they all have the BF sounds coming out of them, but when I fire my gun I don't hear the normal sound coming out of my front two speakers, just the sound of the bulleets falling on the ground from the rear speakers.

I've gone through the different options in the BF sound menu, I thinkk it's something like 24,32,48,64 channels or something, but had no joy.

Any ideas?

come on Dodgen, don't fail me now :lol:

#11 MaYoRofSMACK

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:50 AM

I'm back with more problems :P

First problem being that xfire keeps giving me some problem about needing to verify I'm the admin or something to play any of the BF games. Well I am the admin on the PC, there aren't any accounts or anything, just the main admin account which I use. I've done some Google searches & it tells me stuff about right-clicking & going to properties & un-ticking the admin thing (Sorry my description is a bit poor, I hope you get what I mean :lol: ) But it was never ticked anyway, but I've tried with them ticked & un-ticked etc... Still no joy. So I've got to resort to joining games via in the built in server list thing. That wouldn't be too bad but it only ever brings up about 50-60 servers (And on BF2 & BF2142 No Moon servers :shutup: ) I've checked all the filters & stuff but can't see anything wrong.

If anyone has any advice/solutions to any of the above (For BF1942/BF2/BF2142) it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :cowdance:

#12 dodgem

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:55 AM

Sry dude. Really not sure about the sound or the xfire problem. But I'll write this to bump your thread :D

One thing you could do is make shortcuts for each server your frequent. Copy and paste a few of the BF1942 shortcuts on your desktop, then right click>properties. On the "Shortcut" tab, add this to the end of what is already there:

+restart 1 +joinServer 64.34.180.19:14567"

so it should read something like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +restart 1 +joinServer 64.34.180.19:14567"

(note the space between the .exe" and the +restart 1). The +restart 1 will prevent the BF1942 intro movie from showing, and the +joinServer will immediately connect you to that server (in this case you will be connected to Moongamers Mostly Omaha CQ server, without ever seeing the main BF1942 menu). Find the ips for the other servers you play on, and just edit another BF1942 shortcut in the same way, but using that IP instead of the one above.
  • MaYoRofSMACK likes this

#13 MaYoRofSMACK

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

Thanks once again Dodgem.

Does that same trick work with BF2 & BF2142 also?

I've managed to solve my sound problem .... But still have the Xfire issue :monkeydance:

#14 Zipper

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

Heck man i'v got the same problems thats why no one has seen me in awhile. upgraded to a new computer and all LKKNJNJK happend i guess upgrading is not allways the best thing to do, You must be running an HP. Anyway I can't even get my BF2 or Special Forces to lode, pops up with this program has only been tested with windows XP 32 bit. And then changes to a compatablity problem. So Bumbed :wasnt-me:

#15 Warrior124

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

Note: I've only tested this on my pc (w/64-bit Operating System\Windows 7 Ultimate), and it works for me.

Battlefield 2:
If you don't have a desktop shortcut it is advised to make one so you can set the following settings...
1) Right click on your (BF2 shortcut), and click on your Properties tab.
2) Click the Compatabilities tab, and Change settings for all users.
3) In Compatabilities make sure the following are checked.
(1) Run this program as administrator
(2) Run this program in compatability mode for: Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
4) Go back to the Shortcut tab, and in the Target line put the following command line.
"<Path to your BF2142.exe>" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +playerName <Your playername here> +playerPassword <Your password here>

5) If you have Alcohol 52% make sure you make backup images of your game using the SECUROM method.
6) After making your image use Alcohol 52% to make a Virtual Disk, and mount the image to your virtual disk.
7) Take your disk out of your CD/DVD Rom drive, and put all the disks you have somewhere safe just incase you ever need it, again.
8) If you have an external hard drive save a copy of your images, and Alcohol 52% setup to your external hard drive just incase you ever need to reinstall anything in the future.

9) If you haven't done so already do a search for PnkBstrA.exe, and PnkBstrB.exe and make sure all you find are running in administrator compatability. No need to run them under any other mode. You will need to restart your pc for it to take effect.

10) You should be able to run your game, now.

Battlefield 2142:
If you don't have a desktop shortcut it is advised to make one so you can set the following settings...
1) Right click on your (BF2142 shortcut), and click on your Properties tab.
2) Click the Compatabilities tab, and Change settings for all users.
3) In Compatabilities make sure the following are checked.
(1) Disable desktop composition
(2) Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
(3) Run this program as administrator
(4) Run this program in compatability mode for: Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)
4) Go back to the Shortcut tab, and in the Target line put the following command line.
"<Path to your BF2142.exe>" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx <Resolution Width> +szy <Resolution Height> +eaAccountName <Your EA Account Name Here> +eaAccountPassword <Your EA Account Password Here> +soldierName <Your Soldiername>
Note: Mine needs this command line to go straight to the main screen, or else my screen will continue to remain black causing me to have to restart my pc as it won't ctrl + alt + del out.

5) If you have Alcohol 52% make sure you make backup images of your game using the SECUROM method.
6) After making your image use Alcohol 52% to make a Virtual Disk, and mount the image to your virtual disk.
7) Take your BF2142 disk out of your CD/DVD Rom drive, and put it somewhere safe just incase you ever need it, again.
8) If you have an external hard drive save a copy of your image, and Alcohol 52% setup to your external hard drive just incase you ever need to reinstall anything in the future.

9) If you haven't done so already do a search for PnkBstrA.exe, and PnkBstrB.exe and make sure all you find are running in administrator compatability. No need to run them under any other mode. You will need to restart your pc for it to take effect.

10) You should be able to run your game, now.

#16 Alvin Tostig

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:41 AM

recently bf42 with firefox and win7 haven't been getting along. you cannot maximize bf42' with firefox running.

a work around i've found is to use the restore down button (located between the minus and x in the window) of firefox. after restoring down firefox you should be abel to maximize bf42' again.

Firefox isn't the only culprit, i've found skype also has a similar effect on bf42' and this work around works for that as well.

#17 Zipper

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:52 PM

Well thanks Warrior124, Well i tryed every step on your list still won't game load. Ya click on the icon screen gose black BF2 pops up like a big old tease and thin gose back to the desk top. I guess i'll have to try and figure out how to instal my Windows XP, I tryed and it says that there is no HD instaled so i can't even format the drive and install Windows XP, Boy this realy sucks. Bumber Dude. Thank You Randy :wtf:

#18 Lin

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

Use an app like Partition Magic and create a new and separate logical drive, you should be able to create another boot drive. You can do this by "borrowing" from your current drive and it should be able to complete the task without messing up your current hard drive.

#19 Avion

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

I would not use this as a permanent fix for your Xfire issue but you could try turning of the User Access Control (UAC). To do this click on the Start button in the lower left-hand corner and select Control Panel from the menu. Inside Control Panel find User Accounts; inside User Accounts find Change User Account Control Settings. Pull the slider all the way down to the lowest setting (this will require a restart of the computer). After the computer restarts then you can try Xfire again.

I do not recommend leaving UAC turned off - it is an Operating System security layer, below your Anti-virus, that protects your system from all sort of nasty things.

#20 Warrior124

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:27 AM

Well thanks Warrior124, Well i tryed every step on your list still won't game load. Ya click on the icon screen gose black BF2 pops up like a big old tease and thin gose back to the desk top. I guess i'll have to try and figure out how to instal my Windows XP, I tryed and it says that there is no HD instaled so i can't even format the drive and install Windows XP, Boy this realy sucks. Bumber Dude. Thank You Randy :wtf:

Mine goes back to desktop as well whenever the map finishes loading the first time I start the game. However, when it does that just right click on your mouse so the pointer shows, and click on the BF2 icon in the task bar system tray (near the clock) at the bottom of the screen to bring the game back up. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com