Photo

How-To: Getting BF1942 to run on an Intel Mac (Core 2 Duo) running Leopard (10.5.6)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 trexchard

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:37 AM

I have scowered the internets many nights, travelled through mountains of forums and valleys of blogs, to find and piece together all the information needed to do this. (That's for dramatic effect, I really talked to some cool peeps from here that helped me figure it out.)

So here it is:

1. Install Battlefield 1942 the standard way, by dragging and dropping the Battlefield 1942 folder from your disc to the Applications folder.
This should be enough for people who want to play only the campaign mode. If you want to play online, continue below. If this doesn't work got you, the rest of this tutorial won't help you.

2. You now must update to the 1.61d patch. However, you can't use the regular patch installer to accomplish this. Instaed, you must use the manual installer. Click here to download it from the Aspyr website..

You will get a DMG that looks like this:
Attached File  Picture_21.png   20.33KB   33 downloads
So navigate to the appropriate language folder, and drag and drop the files into your Battlefield 1942 folder in the Applications folder.

(It does not look like this: Attached File  Picture_22.png   8.85KB   30 downloads. That's the updater that doesn't work. It's not the manual installer.)

Now, this will get you sort of working. You can play most servers online, but not ones that have the "Pure" filter on, such as my favorite, Moongamers Mostly Omaha CQ.

4. In order to get that working, you must update two files that the manual installer missed: init.con and contentCrc32.con. These files can be found in Applications/Battlefield 1942/Data/Mods/BF1942. As seen here:

Attached File  Picture_20.png   68.49KB   37 downloads

This is a screen shot of the correct file dates, if your files have different dates, you need to replace them. Download them here and here. Drag them into the folder previously mentioned.

5. One more thing... You will need to manually update punkbuster in order to play as well. For some reason EA or Aspyr or Punkbuster has made it difficult for us and you must do this manually, instead of the normal auto update. Go to the Punkbuster website and download the PBSetup app for the Mac here.

It'll be some weird .run file but it works. You will need to go add your BF1942 folder to the program by going to File > Add Game. Once that's done, click File > Check for Updates. Once that's finished, you should be good to go.

Thanks to Tater1942, Sector 8, Rapid, and Monkey T_C for all the help getting this stuff together.

Hope this helps y'all out!
Reply to this if you can get it working on other systems that aren't just a Core 2 Duo.

I'm going to go play some Moongamers now.
Good luck and remember always that Aspyr sucks.

Oh, and this might not work for some. I'm using a MacBook Pro with a GeForce 8600M GT. I've heard from some that BF doesn't like Geforce6 6600GT. Let me know how you fair.

#2 Section8

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

You are more than welcome and that is fantastic news! Very well done. :applaud:

On behalf of Moon, welcome to MoonGamers' 1942 gaming servers. :)

See you on the beach.

#3 Monkey

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

Moved to 1942 stickies ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com