Photo

Chode needs help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chode

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:13 PM

Ok, I am not as technically savy as most of you, so bear with me. I have a particlarly nasty adware issue right now which slipped through my virus protection - It is giving me constant pop ups which is preventing me from playing BF. I have run just about every free utility I know of to get rid of it to no avail. I notice that one of the tasks that is always running is MSSearch, which I believe to be part of the problem - I can't seem to find it. Can anybody point me in the right direction to try to get rid of it, or should I just reformat? I no longer have my windows XP disk, so reformatting will be a problem for me (unless I can backup XP somehow)????

Maybe I should just set fire to my computer and run away from it really fast? Seems like more fun. :cowmoo:

#2 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:33 PM

If all else failed, my suggestion is for you to #1 identify what the problem is. Then Google it and look for instructions on how to get rid of it manually. Print and follow to the letter.

#3 TheChozeLa

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:33 PM

http://www.liutiliti...brary/mssearch/

well i think we need more info like : what the popup say and wtf you did to bf in the last few day and does it happen only with bf??

#4 Santano

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:32 PM

Ok, I am not as technically savy as most of you, so bear with me. I have a particlarly nasty adware issue right now which slipped through my virus protection - It is giving me constant pop ups which is preventing me from playing BF. I have run just about every free utility I know of to get rid of it to no avail. I notice that one of the tasks that is always running is MSSearch, which I believe to be part of the problem - I can't seem to find it. Can anybody point me in the right direction to try to get rid of it, or should I just reformat? I no longer have my windows XP disk, so reformatting will be a problem for me (unless I can backup XP somehow)????

Maybe I should just set fire to my computer and run away from it really fast? Seems like more fun. :cowmoo:

Ok, I assume you have tried Lavasoft adaware or anouther anti-spyware program with your definitions up to date.

So, time to skip to the good part.

Start> Run > msconfig (press enter)
Now, go to the services tab, click "hide all microsoft services" and then click "Disable all"
Restart when prompted.

If you still have the popups, then you need to go back into msconfig and look for a refrence to "MSSearch" asuming of corse thats the problem. If at all possible could you screenshot (printscreen, then start>all programs>accessories>Paint then control+v to paste it) the running processes you have? If not, can you type them manually? (as they appear in the control+alt+delete window)

Edited by HunterKiller, 17 April 2006 - 04:39 PM.

#5 Uncle Bill

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:37 PM

And in the future....use a condom.... :bananasex2:

#6 Chode

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for your help hunterkiller. . . although msconfig didn't fix it. However, I did eventually fix it! FYI, out of desparation I ended up rebooting to safe mode and deleting everything in C:\Windows and C:\Windows\System32 which was there since I got the virus last week. That did it! Although I have no idea whether there will be any other consequences from it. Thanks for everybody's help

#7 Santano

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:52 PM

Posted Image

Sorry I couldnt be more help :(, but at least you are up and running again.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com