Photo

Bases, bases, bases

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Enforcer

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

This question is maybe a bit premature in that the decision to keep the database as it, or to start over has not been decided as of yet. However, I would like for us to be thinking about this as well.

Should there be a limit on number of bases a player can build? Now, here me out before just laughing to yourself saying, "no way." In my mind, a base is just that...a base of operations. A larger structure where most of a player's assets are kept/stored including fishing vessels, vehicles, safes, etc. In my case, I have a "base" at Drakon as most know. I also have, what I consider to be an outpost a little ways up the coastal highway next to a lake. It is a small structure, made of 4 wooden walls, a floor, with a workbench, a fire barrel, a storage crate and a lockable door. There is no landing pad, no garage, no metal panels..nothing other than the small square structure.

Maybe limit a player to two bases, one each on opposite side of the map perhaps...and up to four outposts? Almost thinking out loud here, but, with the exception of roaming AI, there is really no reason for huge bases all over the map I would think. So, build a base, as big as you want in an area, but, limit that to the one.

I mean, what do you guys think about that? And this is all certainly up for discussion..I was just thinking about it.

Course, that also leads to building in a lootable area. Allowed or a no-no?

#2 Lin

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

I have my Cherno base for a coastal base, and a one story structure at Stary for an interior base. I'm fine with those. I was planning to build some "safety/storage/equipment" bunkers throughout the map for missions, but they really don't appear to be needed. Randigar and I built the one and I haven't used it yet. At first, they were meant to store some weapons/loot from missions, but with roaming AI, they might be considered to be "safehouses"...but I still don't really see the need any more.

I would still like to have Cherno and the minor one at Stary for myself. Cherno allows me a change of pace and a place for fishing. Stary is my primary mission base.

#3 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

I think like one main base and up to 2-3 smaller ones.

#4 Warrior124

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

Either way I would still like my cave base if we decided to start over, and if we decided to build apartments again in Stary I would like a little apartment if possible. :)

#5 Edamame

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm good with whatever. If we do start over my plan is to rebuild my Vybor base and make that my main base. I'll probably make one or two outpost bases. Those are just small ones with a landing pad, some storage and a vehicle or two. I use those simply mission that area far away from my main base. Because I'm too lazy to drive there.

#6 LoverBoy.USA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

I will be making 2 possible bases. One will be an island base like a custom built island. Then also a base somewhere up north, haven't decided yet on location.

#7 Irish_Trunks

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

I'm honestly ok with whatever in base limitations. I've only had my Electro pier base the last two maps and still prefer just the one base there. :)

#8 Thirteen

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:35 AM

I think it should be limited as well, not to metion a time to destroy setup.

I know there are bases currently on our map that have been built by some players that I remember playing with, but never see anymore. The other problem is are the admins aware of all the bases and who has what where and are they playing any longer.

I would think that there is a way in our database to see last login information on a particular player. If so, then the problem of left over bases from someone who no longer plays is easy. If an item belongs to a player that has not played in a set amount of time, the admins can delete the items.

Now when it comes to a questionable item such as "who built this structure over here" I was thinking the players can let the admins know of things they find that they never see anyone at. They can report the structure or item to admin and the Admin could make a post in the forums after they determine there has been no activity. They post Item or structure found at 123456, is this yours? Please respond either privately to the admin or publicly in the forum. A deadline of 3 weeks or something could be given and if after the 3 weeks nobody responds, the admin could delete the item or structure.

An example would be the structure out near my plot pole in the BASH area. Just south of my structure is some structure that was built with some vehicles parked. For a while I would greet this neighbor when we would meet in passing but we never played together. I have forgotten his name now and I have not seen him in at least a month. So lets say I report this 123456 structure (the GPS location is bogus for this example) An admin would note it say in the admin section of the forums and all the admins would keep a watch on the location for maybe 2 or 3 weeks. At that point, if it is determined to be abandoned, a post from the admin about this location being up for deletion in 3 weeks could go up. If no response then the item can (not will) be deleted by the admin. So at minimum 5 weeks goes by before any admin action is done.

I would think that if you have not at least checked the forums in 5 weeks to see if you have anything that is yours to respond to, then you won't much miss it if it is gone. Especially since you can set the forums up to email you when there are updates to a particular section. We could even put the Property up for deletion in a separate sub category that one monitors separate from the rest of the forums if they are worried about getting to much mail.

Curious to hear what others think of these ideas.

#9 Enforcer

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

The only problem with a forum announcement, is that not all the players are in the forums. And if we only announce in the forums, some may not get the message. Course, that would be their problem for not being in the forums in the first place.

But, that was more or less my thoughts as well. Basically, have a list somewhere, and forums could be the place of existing bases of active players. If we note a player has not been around for a month or more, we can tell where bases are when we turn on vehicle markers, as there is typically a collection of vehicles in one spot on the map. See if it corresponds to an active player and there you go. If the base is not on the list of active players, it gets blasted. The issue....we make a mistake and blast a person's stuff who still is active but, not on the list for one reason or another.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com