Photo

Corrupted file?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 bbb

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:03 PM

last night i DL'ed all parts needed to play battlegroup, but on the very last file i needed(the .98 update) my comp locked up with 5 seconds remaining. Now when i open the folder that the file is contained in, my computer locks up. any tips? maybe i should re-Dl the file and replace that file without opening the folder?

#2 Why Two Kay

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:08 PM

Delete the folder and re-download. Its not that bad of a download, I mean let your computer download overnight if you dont want to wait. If you cant delete while in Windows. Then boot to a command prompt. (When starting computer press F8 repeatidly, then when you get the boot menu, select Safe Mode Command Prompt. When it gets to there, just open the folder (if you remember to how to use DOS) delete the files, and delete the folder with the rd command.

#3 bbb

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:15 PM

deleting the folder is not an option, it contains many other files as well.

as for safe mode, i'll try it later!

i also just noticed that there are two rundl32's running at the same time.

#4 Jack

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:02 PM

Just DL again to same folder and say "Yes" when it asks if you want to overnuke the other one. If that doesn't work, try and look at some internet P O R K.

#5 Why Two Kay

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:03 PM

Dont worry the 2 rundll is normal. I suggest the command prompth safe mode first, just navigate and delete the corrupted file. As for the other files, they should stay OK. If you use normal Safe Mode, you could still not be able to delete.

Ah, nothing like PORK.

#6 bbb

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:05 PM

it doesn't lock up anymore after i re-DL'ed the file.
i'll install it later, hopefully it won't end biting me on the ass.

#7 bbb

Posted 21 August 2004 - 12:28 PM

it's gone back to it's old lock-up-on-sight ways.
if i even run a program from that folder it locks up. :(

#8 DarkFall

Posted 22 August 2004 - 12:00 PM

It sounds like it might be a file fragmentation problem.

Go to your defrag program and run the analysis on the drive containing the folder you are having problems with, then print out the list of fragmented files to look at later.

Rename the old directory. Create a new directory named as the original and copy all the files from the old directory into the new one or copy the files to a different drive altogether, which will reduce fragmentation. Then run your defragmentation program on the drive where the problems were occuring.

If you moved the files to a different drive, move them to the freshly defragged drive now and run a new analysis. If you didn't move them to a different drive, still run a new analysis for comparison.

Check the listing of corrupted files that you get after running defrag, against the original list you have. It should be greatly reduced, if not completely reduced. There may be files listed that are completely corrupted. These will have to be replaced.

Downloading files isn't the same as copying or moving files. HUGE amounts of fragmentation occur during downloading and this can be greatly reduced by simply moving the files to a different location. I have defragmented a drive with large files that were heavily fragmented, only to find the files were still in pretty bad shape. Moving the large files greatly reduces the fragmentation and often eliminates the fragmentation. Windows defragmentation program sucks, and I recommend a 3rd party program, if possible. Norton's got a good one in it's suite of utilities...

NOTE: Downloading files, regardless of the drive space available, will always result in heavy fragmentation. This isn't always a problem, but it often leads to what appears to be a corrupt download, when it is actually a file that is too heavily fragmented to uncompress correctly. Often install files that will not work before a defrag, work fine once fragmentation is reduced or eliminated...

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com