Photo

PC Lockups

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 MeanMachine

Posted 20 September 2004 - 01:43 AM

Hey all you Moon Gamers.

As you may have seen one minute I will be playing Omaha and in TS when all of a sudden - disconnected from both.

Last night was the 7th or 8th time in the last few weeks that my PC has just completely locked up - black screen and repeating sound. The only way to reset it is to turn off the PC power supply.

I get this lockup a lot when I play BF Vietnam which is why I don't. I have changed my sound card and graphics card but the problem still - apparently - exists.

Does anyone know if there is an event log file that I can look at after a lockup has happened? Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this lockup?

It is not consistent and I can sometimes go two or three days without one. I have tried taking the side of the PC in case it was heat related. I have three 80mm fans going so I don't think it is that.

Someone mentioned it might be a memory error as in a bad address that only gets hit once in a while.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. It is really starting to piss me off especially when I am having a good game - no sniping just Thompson.

Later all

Mean (Roger)

#2 bbb

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:14 AM

i suggest investigating the RAM.

#3 LeadPoison

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:18 AM

What are your pc specs, os, anything running in the background, spyware/malware clean. Need some more info.

#4 Why Two Kay

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:34 AM

I suggest that you check for anything running in the background that is unneeded. Use some of the spyware remover programs such as Spybot or Adaware.

#5 King of the Squirrels

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:11 AM

Also check your hard drive for fragmentation. Alot of new program have trouble if the hard drive is fragged. Try running a defrag and a spysweeper. Also tune utilities 2004 is good program to help fix things. A trail verson is avaiviable cnet.com
Captain Squirrel :bop2:

#6 MeanMachine

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:50 AM

Here are the specs of my PC

Processor: AMD Athlon 3000 XP Barton
Mobo: Gigabyte GA7N400 Pro
Memory: 1GB DDR 266
Sound Card: Hercules 5:1
Graphics Card: nVida GeForce FX5700 w/256MB RAM
CD Drive: Lite-On
HD: Two Western Digital SATA 80GB dirives
Monitor: Samsung Sync Master 193T

If you need more info let me know

#7 DarkFall

Posted 20 September 2004 - 11:31 AM

Run a memory test as mentioned previously. Make sure you have the latest sound and video drivers installed and ALWAYS make sure your BF and BF-VN files are free of fragmentation as that leads to drive errors. Do you find that nearby explosions and gunfire loops when the system locks? If so, it's probably a bad memory chip or a bad driver...

#8 Jack

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:49 PM

Nearbu?

Do you have DX 9.0c?

You may want to try the Lin trick.Take out your video and sound card. Then put them back in.

Finally, you can always:

Attached Files

#9 MeanMachine

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:22 PM

Okay here is what I have done so far.

1) Last week I re-installed Windows XP and all drivers (updated)
2) I have Ad-Aware SE Plus and run this once a weeek.
3) I have Executive Software 'Diskeeper' and run this about once every weel or so.
4) I have just loaded SpyBot Search & Destroy and removed any bad files.
5) I have just purches CheckIt Diagnostics ($70) and run all tests - no errors.

I do have Direct X 9.0b

I may have may have to take Bubbles last suggestion with the big hammer.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will keep plugging away to try to resolve this.

Later guys

Mean

#10 DarkFall

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:13 PM

"C" is the latest version of DirectX and did that expensive program have a comprehensive scan for your RAM?

#11 Jack

Posted 20 September 2004 - 10:39 PM

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

Use the above link to dl and create a mem-test floppy. Boot to it and let it do its thing. Its really fast and easy.

#12 MeanMachine

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:58 AM

Have downloaded DirectX 9.0c and have also run the mem diags suggested by Bubbles.

No problems found so I will hope that these lockups don't happen anymore. You will soon know as I will disconnect from both TS and BF1942 at the same time.

Thanks again for all the help.

Later,

Mean

#13 Monkey

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:44 AM

I had this prblem too turned out i had a bad chip on my mother board you might try changing the drivers it may help but i had to get a new board and things are fine all the same cards in the new board and it flies
:yikes:

#14 Tu Madre

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:16 PM

I had this prblem too turned out i had a bad chip on my mother board you might try changing the drivers it may help but i had to get a new board and things are fine all the same cards in the new board and it flies

Woahhhhhhhh...... Slow Down... Try throwing a few period's and comma's in there also..

#15 DarkFall

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:32 PM

I had this prblem too turned out i had a bad chip on my mother board you might try changing the drivers it may help but i  had to get a new board and things are fine all the same cards in the new board and it flies

Translation:

"I had this problem as well. It turned out that I had a bad chip on my mother board. You might try changing the drivers, as it may help. I had to get a new motherboard and things are fine. I used all the same cards in the new motherboard and it flies..."

#16 Tu Madre

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:09 PM

I had this prblem too turned out i had a bad chip on my mother board you might try changing the drivers it may help but i  had to get a new board and things are fine all the same cards in the new board and it flies

Translation:

"I had this problem as well. It turned out that I had a bad chip on my mother board. You might try changing the drivers, as it may help. I had to get a new motherboard and things are fine. I used all the same cards in the new motherboard and it flies..."

Thanks Darkfall, I dont understand foreign english languages very well....

#17 DarkFall

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:42 PM

:D I was out of breath after repeatedly reading that out loud, to try and understand it...

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com