Photo

(Community Opinion) Changing Map Rotation

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Hairy Russian Dude

Posted 04 September 2016 - 04:57 PM

I've been on this server on and off for years and haven't seen the regular rotation change much. I personally think the regular rotation is due for a change and invite members of the community to give their opinions here on each map and what they would like to see done with them. Perhaps multiple requests for a particular map and mode could persuade the powers that be to change things up a little. I would also like to hear from the core guys as to whether or not they still have anyone around with modding skills.

Again, this list is my personal opinion. I would like to hear yours. When I say "encourage admin to run", perhaps a set number of players could be appointed to these maps.

Battleaxe - I can't stand CQ, but CTF is fun for a smaller population due to the size. Axe CTF should be in regular rotation. CQ should just stay out.

El Alamein - Overall enjoyable with medium population. I think El Al CQ should replace Bocage CQ on the rotation list for awhile. Encourage admin to run CTF mode with the turbo jeeps when the population is medial.

Gazala - Fun CQ with a full server. CQ should stay off rotation due to not seeing a full server anymore. Encourage admin to run CTF with turbo jeeps if the population gets high.

Aberdeen - Overall enjoyable with medium to high population. I would leave it off rotation, but encourage admin to run either mode when the population is high.

Tobruk - Overall enjoyable with medium to high population. CQ should be part of rotation.

Kharkov - Have played this one to death. It can take a rest from rotation for awhile.

Kursk - Tired of CQ. Take CQ off rotation. CTF is alright with a smaller population. CTF on rotation would be ok.

Stalingrad - Tired of CQ. Take CQ off rotation. CTF with no nades could be part of regular rotation.

Berlin - Both modes are still highly enjoyable. Both CQ and CTF with no nades, and axis spawn nearest allied uncap moved to other side of river should be part of the regular rotation. I stress this one, as on the EA117 server CTF works for even 4 on 4.

Britain - I personally love this map when modded correctly. CQ with the factory hit points increased, and set so every Allie has to be killed afterwards to win could be experimented with to see how the players enjoy it. CTF with added PT boats and less planes spawning could also be experimented with. No spawn at factory for allied flag, and move axis flag to the beach on their side with no spawn.

Omaha - CQ and CTF should be part of regular rotation. This map is a staple, and perhaps shooting to have it run during medium population times would make it more enjoyable.

Caen - Another personal favorite. I like the Moon addition of planes. CQ and CTF should be in rotation, or at least CQ in rotation and encourage admin to run CTF.

Bocage - Played this one to death. CQ should take a break, and CTF could be run upon request. More jeeps should be added for CTF however, and the bridge flags moved to the barns.

Market - Also tired of this one. Take CQ off rotation for awhile and throw CTF on rotation, perhaps with turbo jeeps. The extra AA at the allied airfield was a good choice.

Bulge - A personal favorite. CQ should take the place of Market on rotation, and CTF should also be put in rotation. Excellent choice moving the bridge flag to the mountain.

Wake - Tired of CQ but it should be on rotation. This is the go to when admin do take a CTF request, so CTF should not be on rotation as it has been played many many times.

Midway - CQ needs tweaking to add more ships and focus more on naval battles rather than land battles. The map is too small even for low pop CTF though. I would leave both modes off rotation.

Guadal - Enjoyable with a medium to high population. I would leave CQ off rotation, but encourage admin to run CTF or CQ. Turbo jeeps again due to the map size.

Iwo Jima - Enjoyable with small to medium population. Both CQ and CTF should be in rotation with no nades in either mode. Change POW to a destroyer.

Coral - A personal favorite. Both the 3 ship CQ and CTF should be part of rotation. Add PT boats to islands. I'm not sure if it is standard for the map or not, but I played a CTF version where the flag was at the front of the ship and the spawns were all set to the back. This worked nicely.

Phillipines - I love this map. However it needs a high population. I would encourage admin to run this during high pop times but leave off rotation.

#2 mexican eskimo

Posted 04 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

Apparently we have quite a difference of opinion.  I have a ton of fun playing Baxe and Deen.  Gazala and Kursk are probably a ton of fun to pilots, but they don't offer much to the rest of the world.  I think Kharkov is great as well, it's the same type as Bocage, but more trees for protection, and elevation.  I agree on Bocage and Market, so sick of them.  

I personally despise Tobruk and Bulge.  I never quite understood why the move was not made to give everyone a tank on these.  Midway is way too big, it leads to some spectacular naval battles though.  

I'm not sure how Stalin is overplayed, since we never get it.  Omaha was terrific, but most players nowadays aren't into it, and don't really know how to play it.  It's really not fun when your entire team just sitting there sniping.

#3 Rubulator

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:42 PM

Great topic HRD... This is the way to do it !!... Keeping it out of the game :bvictory: 

#4 Hairy Russian Dude

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:10 PM

Apparently we have quite a difference of opinion.  I have a ton of fun playing Baxe and Deen.  Gazala and Kursk are probably a ton of fun to pilots, but they don't offer much to the rest of the world.  I think Kharkov is great as well, it's the same type as Bocage, but more trees for protection, and elevation.  I agree on Bocage and Market, so sick of them.  

I personally despise Tobruk and Bulge.  I never quite understood why the move was not made to give everyone a tank on these.  Midway is way too big, it leads to some spectacular naval battles though.  

I'm not sure how Stalin is overplayed, since we never get it.  Omaha was terrific, but most players nowadays aren't into it, and don't really know how to play it.  It's really not fun when your entire team just sitting there sniping.

Correct me if I'm wrong eskimo, but to simplify your post...

You vote to take Gazala CQ, Kursk CQ, Bocage CQ, Market CQ, Tobruk CQ, Bulge CQ, and Midway CQ off rotation?
And keep Axe CQ, Deen CQ, Kharkov CQ, Stalin CQ on rotation?

What of the other maps and modes? This is a good start to getting opinions!

Rub, throw your opinions in! The forums are only successful and a viable option if it gets responses.

• Rubulator likes this

#5 dodgem

Posted 05 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

I  would agree that some maps in the rotation do get stale.

That said, Market and Bocage (along with Kharkov IMO) are two of the best maps for seeding which makes it difficult for us to take them out.  You may not all witness the server before it picks up because of your time zones, but trying to seed on Liberation of Caen or Deen is impossible.

I'm not trying to end this conversation before it has started because I too would like to see some changes in the rotation and your feedback is much appreciated!  Just be aware that Market is likely to stay...especially as it's our idle map.

You can also ask a tagged admin if they can take the server out of rotation whilst you're playing.  Assuming they plan to be playing for a good hour or two and they have been trained to change maps, they shouldn't have any issue doing this.

Carry on :)  Let's get a nice list going.

• Rubulator likes this

#6 Rubulator

Posted 05 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

I agree with Dodge that Market, Bocage are seeding magnets... And that also shows how popular they are in general... Just rotate smaller maps and let admins adhoc when possible... maybe go with:

​Market... Baxe... Bocage... Omaha... *Iwo/Guadal... *Stalin/Berlin... *Tobruk/Deen... *Kharkov/Kursk...  Wake... ​

​* Alternate

Maybe have like we do on Sundays with SW/RTR... a "Big Map" Wednesday between X:xx pm and X:xx pm...

Bulge... Phillipines... Gaz... Midway...  

• D Day likes this

#7 mexican eskimo

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:12 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong eskimo, but to simplify your post...

You vote to take Gazala CQ, Kursk CQ, Bocage CQ, Market CQ, Tobruk CQ, Bulge CQ, and Midway CQ off rotation?
And keep Axe CQ, Deen CQ, Kharkov CQ, Stalin CQ on rotation?

What of the other maps and modes? This is a good start to getting opinions!

Rub, throw your opinions in! The forums are only successful and a viable option if it gets responses.

Honestly I like that it gets mixed up from week to week.  Just Midway, Gazala, Kursk, I find hard maps to leave in the rotation.

The like list I definitely agree with.  I personally prefer CQ most of the time.  CTF can be fun, but with a really good pilot, a tank on pad, or an xpacker it really can be killed.  Berlin and Stalin CTF though I think are a ton of fun though, but to be fair there is often a sudden dropoff after those maps run if the next one in the rotation isn't chosen carefully.  

#8 mistamontiel

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

This gets discussed constantly

BF1942 is going to turn 14 shortly .. embrace

So run full rotation ! And then change maps based on players' choice

It's that easy

#9 D Day

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:54 PM

I agree with Dodge that Market, Bocage are seeding magnets... And that also shows how popular they are in general... Just rotate smaller maps and let admins adhoc when possible... maybe go with:

​Market... Baxe... Bocage... Omaha... *Iwo/Guadal... *Stalin/Berlin... *Tobruk/Deen... *Kharkov/Kursk...  Wake... ​

​* Alternate

Maybe have like we do on Sundays with SW/RTR... a "Big Map" Wednesday between X:xx pm and X:xx pm...

Bulge... Phillipines... Gaz... Midway...  

What he said.

• Rubulator likes this

#10 Harriet Tubman

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:24 AM

This gets discussed constantly

BF1942 is going to turn 14 shortly .. embrace

So run full rotation ! And then change maps based on players' choice

It's that easy

problem is when you are trying to seed the server and have like 10 people in there and a map like gazala or some other giant map comes on. if there was an admin on all the time then u can change it on a whim or go with the flow of the playerbase, but if no admin is on then 1 map change and it can kill the server for the night

#11 mistamontiel

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:46 AM

Harriet , that's ALWAYS the case I seed very frequent but no one changes to infy map

Full !

#12 Colonel Tavington

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

I love Market and Bocage, never get tired of playing them.  Part of it is having a chance to fly a B-17.  Omaha, Battleaxe, Bulge, Britain, Coral are other favorites.  Guadalcanal and Midway for the naval battles. The only map I actively dislike is Aberdeen (too spread out, especially if you don't get a vehicle).

#13 Hairy Russian Dude

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:11 PM

Alright so far...

It seems there is a general feeling that the admin on duty should be more diligent about changing maps based on population and request. I've heard the admin's side of requests before... "you get 12 people yelling for a different map". Noted, and understood. But if you have a couple of people out of that group agree on a map, and nobody complains about switching to it, why not switch to it? Diligence is definitely lacking when it comes to switching a larger map when population drops. I'm a diehard believer that when the server drops to 4 on 4, small map CTF is the answer.

I also like that large map day idea. Even if the population doesn't spike during this time, it is only for a portion of one day. And it gives the lesser played maps a chance.

Midway - How do you guys feel about adding more ships and making it more about ship battles rather than land? The island flags could probably be moved out to the ocean and have the AF left to grab extra planes.

I'm very accepting of Market and Bocage being seeding maps and not leaving, as tired of them as I am. You have to do what you have to do to populate. How do you guys feel about moving the Bocage flags to spread out the battle?

#14 Colonel Tavington

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

Modding Midway is an interesting idea, but the flags are spread out far enough already on Bocage.

#15 mexican eskimo

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:50 PM

I feel like why Bocage works is that the flags aren't that spread out.  I wouldn't mind the flag closer to the allied base being moved to the building on the west side.  It seems like when the germans get control it can suck because there is that wide open field, whereas the Germans have a bunch of buildings on the way to their first flag.  

I'd love more boats on Midway, that's the only thing that makes it interesting.  It would be even better with more boats.  

#16 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:28 AM

I feel like why Bocage works is that the flags aren't that spread out.  I wouldn't mind the flag closer to the allied base being moved to the building on the west side.  It seems like when the germans get control it can suck because there is that wide open field, whereas the Germans have a bunch of buildings on the way to their first flag.  

I'd love more boats on Midway, that's the only thing that makes it interesting.  It would be even better with more boats.  

The allied have 2 bridges instead of 1 ;)

#17 Harriet Tubman

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

Harriet , that's ALWAYS the case I seed very frequent but no one changes to infy map

Full !

would luv infy maps but those are rare. what ive noticed is stalin/berlin gets put on but nades/tanks are still enabled so people complain about how its a nade fest and the maps get played less. that omaha parachute map isn't bad as you can be back in action as fast as you can fall

#18 Slash

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:31 PM

I'm a diehard believer that when the server drops to 4 on 4, small map CTF is the answer.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. When the server population is under 12, small map CTF can be so much fun. There is some resemblance of an actual match and teamwork going on. Whereas if its under 12 population on a medium size CQ map, a lot of the time there is no match at all... Just running around to the capture the next flag.

#19 Hairy Russian Dude

Posted 17 September 2016 - 06:56 PM

Well its been a couple weeks and the responses are lower than expected but it looks like we have a few matching opinions.

- Train admin to change maps according to population and request. (I popped on the other day to Philippines. Thanks whoever did that!)

- Keep lesser played maps (Coral, Phillippines, Guadal...) out of rotation but have admin run them more frequently.

- Market and Bocage to stay as they are in rotation.

- More appearances of Berlin, Stalin, Omaha in rotation but with no nades.

- Mod Midway with flags moved and more ships and try it out in rotation.

- More CTF in rotation during slow times, and chosen by admin during low population times.

- Implement a "large map day".

I'd also like to suggest searching for people who play at night (in North America) to promote to admin for the purpose of map switching when the population declines.

dodgem, what is it you would like to see changed?

Core guys, please chime in anytime. "Keeping it out of the game" only works if the dialogue is acknowledged.

#20 Spare Parts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

Sir, your first post was extremely well thought out and I appreciated it in all its detail.  However it appears to me that we both like this game but for very different reasons.  Some of the reasons you gave for enjoying a map were the very same reasons I hate that same map.  However I am with you whole heartedly in regards to mixing things up.  I believe that if you are unable or unwilling to change or adapt you are doomed to die. If we don't move forward, we go nowhere.  I have no idea how easy or hard it would be for Moongamers to mod the maps, so perhaps we stick with the ideas that are easier (in therory) to implement.  I like:

Keep lesser played maps (Coral, Philippines, Guadal...) out of rotation but have admin run them more frequently

More CTF in rotation during slow times, and chosen by admin during low population times

Implement a "large map day".

These 3 are solid and attainable or obtainable?  Never sure which word is correct, if only there was some magic box I could type my questions into..... oh well maybe someday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com