Photo

Real Hacks: How Real, How Often, Etc...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Dindu_Nuffins

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:56 PM

Okay so you know that statistic that says that you are more likely to die in the bathroom than you are to die of a terrorist attack?  Or the one that says you are more likely to get struck by lightening than you are to win the lottery?  I'm asking about that kind of thing, here.  The "Big Picture" on BF1942 hacks, cheats, etc...

How often, really, does it happen.  Are there records?   When was the last one, here, on the Moon Server?  How often have hacks been discovered in the last month, in the last year?

Why:

Too much energy and time gets spun-up on things that happen so infrequently that, if everyone TRULY understood the big picture, they'd feel kind of stupid even mentioning it.  Such as the deep-rooted fear of getting knifed in the privates by feral gangs of marauding midgets.  Makes for great conversation, but what happens when some idiot decides we need to compromise our constitutional rights and increase federal taxes, in order to "combat" this "existential threat"?

Is "hacking" REALLY and "existential threat", or the result of the fevered imagination of a paranoid drama queen with nothing to do until the next SSI check gets deposited into their account?

I just think it's important to "ground" these things in reality before engaging in pitched, WWF-style battle clonking people over the head with folding chairs.

#2 dodgem

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:27 PM

A comment I made in another thread a few months ago:

Between January and May last year, Moon Admins caught around 30 hackers playing on our server. Since then, the number of hackers has dropped drastically but the same admins that were catching 30 hackers in 5 months last year are still here now. They haven't just forgotten how to catch hackers and, before you say it, they haven't got lazy either. The admins spend soooo much time making sure the server is hacker-free, glitcher-free and a fair place to play in general. And, to the greatest extent possible, it IS.

Since early 2015, the number of hackers on our server has dropped considerably.

We keep records of all our bans.

The last hacker we caught was on 11.10.16.

But it's important to remember that most hackers we catch don't have amazing 57-4 kdrs. More often than not, they suck at the game.

I don't think we'll be sharing any more info than that, otherwise we'll become less effective at keeping this server hack-free.

Hope that gives a little insight nonetheless.
  • Joker (Aut), Jubilee, Angerfist and 2 others like this

#3 Angerfist

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:46 PM

It's usually like banning a doped athlete at the Olympics who got the 47th place. That's about the impact hackers have on the server / the game result.

#4 alittlegirl

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:11 PM

Fair enuf. Have a good night Angerfist. I'm not angry, just see a lot of comments on this. In any event have a good night!

#5 mexican eskimo

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:11 PM

It's usually like banning a doped athlete at the Olympics who got the 47th place. That's about the impact hackers have on the server / the game result.

The good ones are good enough to not get caught.

• Grassy likes this

#6 alittlegirl

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

Yep exactly.

#7 Angerfist

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:49 PM

That doesn't change the fact that the guys who get accused constantly aren't hacking.

#8 Harriet Tubman

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:27 PM

The awesome part about this is you can just accuse anyone of hacks and they can't prove they are innocent.

• Angerfist and Grassy like this

#9 Escaped Mental Patient

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:43 PM

hay im just me

#10 Olin

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:08 PM

Now that I'm more seasoned I understand that some players are really good at certain things. Jubilee is irritating to play against but she is a great sniper. Brunn is damn near invincible as a medic. My connection doesn't give me much of a chance against him. He is a great team mate and a great player. There is nothing amiss there with him. In game I say bs a lot and it is usually because I died due to a crappy connection, not to accuse anyone. Today was different. I thought the incident was so blatant that I needed to report it. I do not recall reporting anyone before for potentially hacking. I am now. Please watch Dirty. I trust your judgment. If it was just a lucky shot then I offer Dirty my sincere apology. The way it happened though, it just didn't seem like that. In the grand scheme of things I die a lot. It really isn't that big of a deal. I'm thinking about the next guy though. I play fair and expect the same.

Thanks Moongamers!
Olin
  • Jubilee, Grassy, Rubulator and 1 other like this

#11 Angerfist

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:13 PM

Now that I'm more seasoned I understand that some players are really good at certain things. Jubilee is irritating to play against but she is a great sniper. Brunn is damn near invincible as a medic. My connection doesn't give me much of a chance against him. He is a great team mate and a great player. There is nothing amiss there with him. In game I say bs a lot and it is usually because I died due to a crappy connection, not to accuse anyone. Today was different. I thought the incident was so blatant that I needed to report it. I do not recall reporting anyone before for potentially hacking. I am now. Please watch Dirty. I trust your judgment. If it was just a lucky shot then I offer Dirty my sincere apology. The way it happened though, it just didn't seem like that. In the grand scheme of things I die a lot. It really isn't that big of a deal. I'm thinking about the next guy though. I play fair and expect the same.

Thanks Moongamers!
Olin

We'll check him Olin. But that takes time. Thanks for your trust.

• Grassy and Olin like this

#12 Grassy

Posted 17 October 2016 - 11:14 PM

Good point M.E.

#13 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 18 October 2016 - 01:38 AM

They will make a slip some time, just like Lance Dopestrong. And then we ban them.

• Joker (Aut), Angerfist, Grassy and 1 other like this

#14 Rubulator

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:46 AM

The awesome part about this is you can just accuse anyone of hacks and they can't prove they are innocent.

​HT makes a great point... it should be proven before spoken...
Before you accuse. Make sure your suspicion is well founded. Most times you'll just see how good they are...
Follow them around a bit... they will eventually tip their hand "if" they are hacking and you're patient.

#15 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

​HT makes a great point... it should be proven before spoken...
Before you accuse. Make sure your suspicion is well founded. Most times you'll just see how good they are...
Follow them around a bit... they will eventually tip their hand "if" they are hacking and you're patient.

I like to add, if you want to accuse someone make a topic in the forum and don't do it in game.

• Rubulator likes this

#16 Harriet Tubman

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:14 AM

I dunno, it sounds like a pretty sweet world when enough hackusations = solid proof or skill = solid proof and therefore the person must be banned. The best part about this new utopian server is that eventually the skill level decreases to the point that even the mediocre players get hackusated and banned.

"hey man theres no way you could kill me in under 3 clips with your mp44, ur a hacker!!!"

"how could you possibly know I was at that flag that just got neutralized? HACKER!!!"

Ultimately the server devolves into such skill less players that they also add bots (and bot). But the players in the server are so terrible they can't even tell that they are playing against bots and they still hackusate. There is a server currently trying to go this route, hopefully the playerbase doesn't try to make it two.

• Twilight and Captain John H. Miller like this

#17 -=TheTroopeR=-

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:17 AM

"THE ONLY THING BAD PEOPLE NEED TO WIN,  IS THAT GOOD PEOPLE DO NOTHING"   look other way will solve this...... 

• VampireMoose likes this

#18 Harriet Tubman

Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

No one said turn the other way, but if idiots hackusating with no proof is enough to ban people then you will end up banning innocent players. Moon still bans people on the regular, LL22 seems to update his ban list daily and yet you MOMOs keep thinking that just because the people you think are hacking don't get banned then nothing must be getting done. 

Believe it or not boys and girls just saying something happens doesn't make it happen. Record the person hacking or tell the admins about it. Oh wait you have told the admins about it and they without a doubt have watched and are watching those people and they can't get the evidence because it doesn't exist. It's not because the world is out to get alittlegirl and trooper and to save the hackers.

If you guys would just tell the admins who you are suspicious of or provide evidence and let moon do their thing it would be the bees knees. Instead you girls keep implying that moon is protecting these hackers because they won't ban based on your feels.

• Lin, Jubilee, Angerfist and 1 other like this

#19 Lin

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:17 PM

"THE ONLY THING BAD PEOPLE NEED TO WIN,  IS THAT GOOD PEOPLE DO NOTHING"   look other way will solve this...... 

Well thank God we ban hackers on the regular, then.

• dodgem, Jubilee and -=TheTroopeR=- like this

#20 Steve2112

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:04 AM

Thanks Moongamers!
Olin

That right there...is the single biggest best advice I've ever gotten. I've gotten to the end of many a computer game...by? DYING A LOT! It's not like Moon has a surcharge on respawn. Just get back in there! And figure out a better way. 

I do expect fairness sure! But I also love to see good sportsmanship on the part of the best players. It's not that I want them to not do what they do, but just to understand that maybe a loop pilot just isn't all that fun. These days, instead of accusations or complaining, I typically just log out for awhile, go make a spicy chicken sammich and cold beer. There's just no good that comes out of any of it, even if true. As was said, the process is just too daunting, complex. If I give a comment, it's indeed a sincere compliment. Gave Brunn kudos last night, dude was killing it!

And thanks moon for all you do. One thing we all surely have in common is love for this game and of course other ones too. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com