Photo

Unmountable boot volume?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Frags

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:54 PM

k i just used my comp like 2 hours ago with no problem. Then when i try to start it i get a error message saying unmountable boot volume when it tries to load windows. i ahve no idea what it means and i tried booting several times.

#2 Wasabi®

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:52 AM

Either boot.ini is corrupt, or your HDD itself is physically damaged. Did you leave your comp on for extended periods of time? Did you mess around with the boot files?

Get into your recovery console, using your Windows installation CD. I forget the details on how to do this, but anyway, there is a console command which you can use to check your disk. In the recovery console use
chkdsk/p (again, I forget the details) to check for corrupt HDDs. Reboot, and then use chkdsk/r to repair the hard disk. Then reboot again, if it boots properly it was probably a software issue; if not, there may be a physical problem.

#3 Frags

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:28 PM

no i usually dont leave it on for long times and dont mess with boot files. it has happened to me before and my dad just reformatted hoping that would fix it. But it has appeared again so im going to try what you told me

#4 Frags

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:11 PM

hmm okay i had this problem fixed but once gain it showed up. ummm now when i try to get into recovery console i try to use chkdsk/p and chkdsk/r it says unknown command. so i use fixboot but taht doesnt work. so yea im at a lost as to what to do

#5 Kilo-Wiskey

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:14 AM

hmm okay i had this problem fixed but once gain it showed up. ummm now when i try to get into recovery console i try to use chkdsk/p and chkdsk/r it says unknown command. so i use fixboot but taht doesnt work. so yea im at a lost as to what to do

MAybe you need a new hard drive???

#6 chiefinspectorclousea

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:50 AM

this happened to me a few months ago, i had to get a new hard drive. chkdsk wouldent run.

#7 Frags

Posted 25 June 2006 - 12:10 AM

my hd is pretty new its a seagate i got it during the thanksgiving sale at bestbuy 120gb for 20 bucks. o well i guess ill have to start looking around for a new one now...

#8 Santano

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:35 PM

Do you have a old Hard Drive you could try out? (Or a friend that might have one?)

I would hate for you to get a new HD and not need one.

Although this very much does sound like a HD issue, I would say make sure it is before you spend the money on it.

#9 Why Two Kay

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:50 PM

Put in Windows CD
Boot from windows cd
Install Windows
Say "yes" when it says there is one there already
Reformat NTFS *not quick*
Reinstall.... everything.

Thats's a last resort.

#10 Striker

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:26 PM

run a repair from windows os cd.

#1 Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
#2 When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
# 3Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
#4 Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
#5 Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup. After the reboot read Warning#2!
#6 Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

If you get files not found during the copying stage.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

KB 833330u Blaster removal

What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and Its Variants

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011
#7 Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install using an Original pre service pack 1 or 2 XP CD used as the install media will remove SP1/SP2 respectively and service packs plus updates isssued after the service packs will need to be reapplied.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com