Photo

Need help overclocking (im a newb)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#21 DeathsGuard

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:28 PM

Cosa...unluck the chip as in cpu?

any guide that can tell me how to do that?

and whats with my comp exiting out of my css window

btw. ive got a amd 64 3400+ newcastle if that helps

Edited by DeathsGuard, 23 February 2006 - 12:09 AM.

#22 Furious_DC

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:28 AM

Generally speaking when you oc the standard fan/heatsink isn't enough. You should upgrade your cooling system if you want to mess with it.
And cosa's right AMD oc friendly unlike intel which doesn't want you messing with their stuff even though you paid for it.

And Meyer.. man.. major suckage... TWO gtx's :(
Were you experimenting on your cpu and gpu at the same time??

Edited by Furious_DC, 23 February 2006 - 12:29 AM.

#23 bubonic

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:56 AM

Cosa...unluck the chip as in cpu?

any guide that can tell me how to do that?

and whats with my comp exiting out of my css window

btw. ive got a amd 64 3400+ newcastle if that helps

You can unlock the multiplier on the cpu allowing a lot more overclocking options. Ive done this on AMD K7 chips where you can use silver paint to connect tiny contacts. Requires a magnifying glass and a steady hand. There are other ways to do it as well. Im not sure how the 64bit chips are unlocked but it is probably something similar.

You can usually get away with a stable 10% OC on you CPU and GPU without going to extremes like unlocking a core or adjusting voltages, provided you have a MB that will let you access those features. Take small steps when increasing the frequency..

:comp26:

#24 TheChozeLa

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:58 AM

to have youre cpu/mb temp and volt in windows for free : http://www.pcworld.c...,RSS,RSS,00.asp

nvidia overclockin + temp in driver : http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=815

#25 DeathsGuard

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:17 AM

Nvm guys...thats for that site bub. I have it running smoothly around 180 fps now. :applaud:

multiplier on x7 1400 mhz
cpu freq around 220 mhz
gpu oc'd to around 110 mhz
cpu voltage at 1.550

#26 paper_gh0st

Posted 23 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

find an old 333 somewhere to practice on. once u master the ways of the old can u understand how voltage affects the whole. 333 can easily be bought cheaply nowadays as they are 2 gigs slower than todays processors. when i first OC'ed it was a 333 and i managed to wreak havoc on it at a mere 1.2 gig boost. needed basically a fridge to put it in but i felt cool as i understood voltage/heat ratio. once then undertand what a clock means. in the bios it may show u the default clock speed and u have a chooice of raising or lowering depending on what u feel is necessary. i doubt anyone here will actually tell u in depth what to do cuz if u are told only a certain piece, u will miss a whole lesson on comprehension and thus making u still dependant on others. i strongly reccommend that u become good friends with the detailed vocabulary in the OC wor;d cuz one slip up on a system will not make the comp a happy camper. if some clarity is needed it would be a different story but stick to the professionals when it comes to the general idea

#27 DeathsGuard

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:54 AM

Ok...my ram maxes out at 200 mhz...its pc3200 ddr400

so i cant really increase my fsb. I might be selling it in order to buy some overclocking ram.

Ive maxed out my gpu oc. But when it gets into heavy action sometimes it drops down to high 40's.

Now if i got overcocking ram, would it help it from dropping so rapidly?

#28 Cosa Nostra

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

Keep in mind cooling,its vary important if you forget your machine will become a nice door stop.Well not a nice one,one of mine smelled real bad when I went to far,kinda like melted plastic.
Also your Cs shuttitng down could be from heat,my ATI 9800 pro will do that,I took a case fan and mounted it on top of the gpu,worked pretty good.My next project is to install a pelter cooler.
As far as unlocking the cpu,just research that part of it,silver paint works,also a line drawn by a pencil worked on the K7 cpu's.
good luck.

#29 DeathsGuard

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:10 PM

does a amd 64 3400+ newcastle need to be unlocked?? because i havent heard anybody talking about that on overclockers.com

What about the ram issue. Should i buy ddr500 so i can atleast set my fsb to 250 mhz

#30 Wasabi®

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:59 AM

You can't buy DDR500, I assume you're talking about DDR2. Only Intel mobos support that, and it's pretty useless anyway.

About the memory...don't overclock it too much unless it's meant to be, such as Corsair XMS or those expensive ones.

#31 kan3

Posted 26 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

You can't buy DDR500

Umm...ya you can
Not sure what you mean by that

Read this, as it says most of the stuff I'd type out anyway

http://forums.anandt...7&enterthread=y

#32 Wasabi®

Posted 26 February 2006 - 10:35 AM

Oh boy...I've been missing out on tech for a few months now. Forgive me. :)

#33 DeathsGuard

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:59 PM

yeah most motherboards now support all kinds of ram..

#34 DeathsGuard

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:59 PM

hmm when i raise my fsb/htt too high my system goes into safe mode (sort of) and I lose all my bookmarks on my internet browser. Is this common?

#35 elmer-fudd

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:48 PM

None of you guys not a single one of ya will ever touch a timing light on my race-car. If you blow up pc and make them smoke like im reading about, holy smokes.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you guys should put a tachometer and a temperature guage on your pc's. 38 deg of timing on reg motor, 35 deg on my stroker motor. and never sizzled one before like your pc's lol
otc elmer

#36 JJ

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:24 PM

None of you guys not a single one of ya will ever touch a timing light on my race-car. If you blow up pc and make them smoke like im reading about, holy smokes.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you guys should put a tachometer and a temperature guage on your pc's. 38 deg of timing on reg motor, 35 deg on my stroker motor. and never sizzled one before like your pc's lol
otc elmer

I think they need rev limiters EF.......{OTC} JJ

#37 elmer-fudd

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:27 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: yeah but the funny thing is the people operating the pc's are already in a high speed wabble lol :cowmoo: :cowmoo:

#38 JJ

Posted 26 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

We'll change the L 2 R wedge and stagger....see how fast they are then.......

#39 HUMANITE

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

Simple rule:

If you need to ask how to do it, then you shouldn't do it!

Overclocking, properly, is not for newbs!!!!

He is absolutly right. I have been overclocking for the last 4 years and there are some things that I wont even try. If you want to learn how to do it READ first, and check this place out then read some more at OVERCLOCKER FORUMS and learn what it all involves. Use this link at YOUR OWN RISK!!!

#40 DeathsGuard

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:03 PM

Ive already read like that whole site. And i figured it out. I just need a better cooling system until i try it

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com