Photo

Comp's broken again...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 bbb

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:25 PM

2 days ago,i start to hear a sqealy noise repeating itseld over and over, then i get an error box popup. it reads "please re-install windows." then, the comp locks up. so, i restart, and it says "error loading PERF, system halted."

any suggestions?
i can't re-install windows for a few weeks, until my software arrives in the mail.
(i left it home, like a moron!) :angry:

and also, now is as good a time as any to mention i might not have a net connection after the 29th. :ph34r:

#2 Why Two Kay

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:56 PM

hmmm, lets see, screaching noise that wasnt me on TS, errors about Windows, I think we have a HDD problem here! Yes, you most likely moved your computer in such a way that the heads and the Hard Drive got messed up and now when you turned it on it scratched some of the drive. Then later on it hit just the wrong part the MBR. Yes, the Master Boot Record. So, if you can try re-installing windows then do it, but if you get the same problem again, uh-oh new HDD time!

#3 kaiserD

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:54 PM

2kills is probably right - and it sucks that you wont have internet...i could never survive without the interweb!! and your cartman quote is funny. hopefully you can reinstall windows, otherwise like 2kills said, it's time to go shopping for a hard drive.

#4 bbb

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:38 PM

doesn't sound right! the screeching was through the speakers.
and i had been using the comp for like 2 hours leading up that point and i didn't move it.

#5 LeadPoison

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:48 PM

Just wait for your window's disk to arrive and try a reinstall before anything. If you can't wait for it, let me know and I can show you how to get a "version" of whatever OS you want....wink...wink. :pirate:

AIM: LeadPoison1

#6 bbb

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:08 PM

ok, it was a hardware problem, i fixed it!
the wireless network card fell out... :lol:

and now, for some reason, all the print in internet exploder is bold... :ph34r:
any tips on fixing that? :lol:

another question, does anyone know what wuaboot is? it runs in the backround sometimes and slows the bejesus out of me! i can tell just by the sound of the comp now when that program starts!

and another Q, how did that make it so i can't resize my exploder window by holding ctrl and scrolling the mouse?

#7 LeadPoison

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:14 PM

and now, for some reason, all the print in internet exploder is bold... :ph34r:
any tips on fixing that? :lol:

Yeah, I can fix IE, go click here and dl the latest version of firefox and never look back.

#8 LeadPoison

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:28 PM

I think you meant "WUAUboot" If I am wrong then I have no idea what that process is.

WUAUBoot is one of the automatic Windows Update program used on Windows ME. It is the source of alot of problems, as it tries to download Windows Updates in the background. It's crap and should be disabled. IMHO.

Turning off Automatic updates should get rid of the problem. If not you can remove it from the MSCONFIG Startup tab list.

#9 bbb

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:03 PM

thanks for that dude, it's disabled!

i just realized now though, i can't play ANY sounds, and pretty much all print on my comp is bold, and maybe a different size/font.

it says no driver availible somtimes, other times it says unsupported format. my first thought was the soundcard fell out too, but it's firmly in place!

what's a man to do with no BF? :blink:

#10 Jack

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:18 PM

Windows XP (HINT, HINT, NUDGE, NUDGE, SAY NO MORE).

#11 bbb

Posted 25 August 2004 - 12:34 AM

i'll just steal me a treasure! so i can be gettin that fine vessel! :pirate:

#12 Jack

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:15 AM

Don't be stealin no XP treasure. Some guy that I know that knows of a guy who is friends with this other guy's friends friend of an acquaintance of a friend's of his friend told me that SP 2 nukes some XP installs which fell off the back of a warez truck. So if you be stealin the XP treasure make sure you get a "special key" to open it and make it work with SP 2.

And to answer your question: Bubbles would get P O R K.

#13 LeadPoison

Posted 25 August 2004 - 08:17 AM

Ya know brad, If you are tired of windows and want something different go here and get my favorite distro of linux knoppix. You can download it for free and burn it to a cd then launch and run it from a cd boot. It wouldn't hurt anything and heck, you might like it better. :D Just a thought.

Or you could just :pirate: it and don't install sp2, you ain't missing anything.

If you need ye ole special tools for that there treasure box, look for me outside the forums, matey!

#14 bbb

Posted 25 August 2004 - 02:30 PM

seems this scurvy dog is an inaccurate speaker! yargh! :pirate:

what i meant was, i'd just go and steal some money, so i could buy it! <_<

#15 LeadPoison

Posted 25 August 2004 - 04:09 PM

Ok, You rob a store or a bank and I'll DL pirated software and we will see who ends up in jail first! lol

#16 bbb

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:26 AM

another clue for the comp sleuths!
i just tried to uninstall something, and guess what? i have no programs installed!(according to window$ :lol: )

any more help to offer me peoples? :ban:

#17 The White Feather

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:48 PM

if ya still have a sound prob just wiat for the cd to arrive and only download adio files and if that dont work u need a new sound card and if u have pc like most ppl were the motherboard has a sound card and u have 1 also disable the external sound card and enable the mother board 1 it dont sound as good but it works and if ur runnin on a motherboard sound right now get a card disable motherboard card and install this new 1. or ill send u my extra card cheap and thats $6 s&h

#18 bbb

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:54 PM

maybe i should have mentioned! i have a 5.1 soundblaster live.

#19 bbb

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:31 AM

damn, no fancy free cure yet. looks like i've got a lot of head bashing ahead of me.

#20 bbb

Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:26 PM

is there any way to reset, or maybe reboot a soundcard guys?
the comp reacts the same way when the sound card is removed as it does when the damn thing is in there.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com