Photo

The dumb tech question thread

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Hartley

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

That has got to be the most retarded computer design I have ever seen. I stared at all 3 pics trying to figure out 'where does the hot air go????'

Basically most of it right into the video card. Not only that but the poor card gets to sit and recycle its own expelled air.

No one ever said Dell were the sharpest tools in the box.

Oh I think they're definitely tools... :wasnt-me:

:rofl:

#22 Budgirl8

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

She might consider two low profile 120mm fans and she needs to make sure the front fan is orientated correctly.

Make sure the front fan is orientated correctly. Haha. Your talking to someone who knows nothing about hardware and how would I mount this fan. I know screw it to the case but is there something I have to hook it up to???

#23 JJ

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

Ok first I know nothing when it comes to hardware. As Stormy can attest to this, I have to have everything in great detail. lol Here's my dumb question. I have a dell piece of junk puter. I am having a problem with my video card overheating. After having bf2 running for awhile my graphics start going crazy. It turns all sorts of colors and goes in and out etc. etc. Hard to explain. I was at Staples over the weekend and seen these little fan thingies you can buy but somehow you have to connect them to something with those little white prongy looking things. lol I currently have one side of my case off and have a little desktop fan setting on the floor blowing on the puter. I haven't had any problems since I did this. I would love to do something different tho. I know Dell's have a problem with overheating as they don't have enough fans in their puters. Any ideas. Thanks.

My wife does this all the time, thingy or whatever. Anyone have a thingy to fix the hole in the wall where I put my head in...JJ

#24 Budgirl8

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

Ok first I know nothing when it comes to hardware. As Stormy can attest to this, I have to have everything in great detail. lol Here's my dumb question. I have a dell piece of junk puter. I am having a problem with my video card overheating. After having bf2 running for awhile my graphics start going crazy. It turns all sorts of colors and goes in and out etc. etc. Hard to explain. I was at Staples over the weekend and seen these little fan thingies you can buy but somehow you have to connect them to something with those little white prongy looking things. lol I currently have one side of my case off and have a little desktop fan setting on the floor blowing on the puter. I haven't had any problems since I did this. I would love to do something different tho. I know Dell's have a problem with overheating as they don't have enough fans in their puters. Any ideas. Thanks.

My wife does this all the time, thingy or whatever. Anyone have a thingy to fix the hole in the wall where I put my head in...JJ

I bet I have a thingy that would fix it. :whippingsmiley:

#25 JJ

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:25 PM

I bet I have a thingy that would fix it. :whippingsmiley:

So grab your thingy and help a pal out...

#26 anode

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

I have a question. I recently took apart an old DVD player and discovered that the processor running it was actually basically a 286 processor. I took it apart because no mattter what dvd i put in it, it skipped repeatedly. Once i took the case off, it played fine. Obviously there is a heat issue. There are NO fans in the player. There's also no way i can leave the case open because i have 4 year olds with inquisitive hands that may be shocked to discover what 120 volts of AC current can do to them.
How can i use this dvd player and not have it over heat so that i mustn't spend another 40 bucks for a new one?
Ok, Yes, i am kidding.

#27 Budgirl8

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:20 PM

I have a question. I recently took apart an old DVD player and discovered that the processor running it was actually basically a 286 processor. I took it apart because no mattter what dvd i put in it, it skipped repeatedly. Once i took the case off, it played fine. Obviously there is a heat issue. There are NO fans in the player. There's also no way i can leave the case open because i have 4 year olds with inquisitive hands that may be shocked to discover what 120 volts of AC current can do to them.
How can i use this dvd player and not have it over heat so that i mustn't spend another 40 bucks for a new one?
Ok, Yes, i am kidding.

You need one of these!! :whippingsmiley:

#28 Catfish

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

You need one of these!!

A thingey?

#29 Chris

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

My Dell has one fan for the cpu, and one for the psu, and that's it. it's a dimension 3000, think it would be a good idea to stick one or two more in it?

#30 pest control

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:52 PM

My Dell has one fan for the cpu, and one for the psu, and that's it. it's a dimension 3000, think it would be a good idea to stick one or two more in it?

if you have a problem yes. a problem like runing a game for few minutes and at one point you start geting artifacts and bad colors and stuff.
if your not having any isues than dont, extra fan will draw power from PSU / there will be less power for other devices in your computer, and theres extra noise that you get from fan

#31 Wasabi®

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:12 AM

I'd say that PC has enough space in it for a side fan or two. Also might be good to get temperature monitor. I have one, and it works wonderfully.

#32 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:38 AM

Also might be good to get temperature monitor. I have one, and it works wonderfully.

Noice idea but unless you get lucky Dell has a bad habit of having almost all bios level hardware monitoring disabled. Actually I have yet to work on a Dell computer that had any.

#33 Wasabi®

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:39 PM

Also might be good to get temperature monitor. I have one, and it works wonderfully.

Noice idea but unless you get lucky Dell has a bad habit of having almost all bios level hardware monitoring disabled. Actually I have yet to work on a Dell computer that had any.

Oops ;P Yay for homebuilt PCs

#34 Jac3624

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

Would I be able to use the heatsink from my current AMD Athlon 64 3500+ on a AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+? They are both socket 939, so I think it would work. I would also like to ask, would it be safe to O/C with the HS that came with my 3500+? If not what HS would you suggest on getting? I would prefer something that's not loud, I had a TT volcano 9 that sounded like a jet engine on high and I don't think that would be too good for my system, even though it cooled very well.

#35 pest control

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:59 AM

it would fit in technically as its same socket, but i doubt you would be able to overclock with it, dual cores means double the heat dissipation and stock heatsinks are bare minimum for just stock frequencies. you can change the fan on it but it wont work like aftermarket heatsink.
you will probably have to get aftermarket heatsink, the best are Scythe infinity and Thermaltake big typhoon and new Zalmans..the very best bang for $ is Arctic Cooling as they cost 1/3 of price and perform almost on the top level heatsinks. google on reviews research it and post here if you find anything better.
when you go through this, make sure the heatsink will fit in your case as they are huge, and check for compatibility with motherboards, as some might not fit in from new extra motherboard heatsinks and coolpipes and stuff they are adding in mobos

#36 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:50 AM

You really should have posted the US$ link,

http://www.us.ncix.c...mp;membership=0

scary thing is it is cheaper from NCIX than newegg,

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835185125

And I agre with you about it being a very good cooler, keeps my "slightly" overclocked x2 3800+ below 45°C under load.

#37 Jac3624

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

That one looks good.

What about this one?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835226014

It has a lower profile and it has a better air flow.

I should be able to fit the one you guys suggested in my case, though it will be a tight fit. Part of my is thinking that the one you guys suggested will work great as it will blow the air towards the case fans that I have blowing out.

I'm thinking about replacing them too as they are kind of old.

#38 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

Check the pictures I posted earlier, that is the AC Freezer 64 Pro on my motherboard and should give you a good idea as to what to expect if you get one. If it helps any my case is the Antec SLK3000B,

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129163

exact same case only the 3800 comes with a power supply. As for that one you linked to it looks like a Zalman knockoff,

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118115

#39 Jac3624

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:25 AM

With the AC Freezer 64 Pro HS, how much do you think I would be able to O/C 4200+?

I was thinking about what you said earlier on in the post and that got me to thinking "Why not get a 4200+ and O/C that up to near 5000+ rather then get a 3800+ and only get it as high as 4600+?"

#40 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:42 AM

With the AC Freezer 64 Pro HS, how much do you think I would be able to O/C 4200+?

Luck of the draw. No 2 cpu's overclock the same. that and the price difference isn't worth the extra 200 mhz at stock speed.

I was thinking about what you said earlier on in the post and that got me to thinking "Why not get a 4200+ and O/C that up to near 5000+ rather then get a 3800+ and only get it as high as 4600+?"

Posted Image

And i haven't even pushed it yet to see how high it will go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com