Photo

Which graphics card is best ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 Racer

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

I'm in need of a new graphics card. Which one would be the best one to get ? I'd like to get the very best that my system can handle. :)

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8250
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Dell Computer Corp.
Bus Clock: 533 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A01 10/22/2002
Drives Memory Modules c,d
119.96 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
93.41 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

_NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A [CD-ROM drive]
SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

IC35L120AVV207-0 [Hard drive] (120.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n VNVD02G4GDE1EG, rev V24OA63A, SMART Status: Healthy
IOMEGA ZIP 250 [Hard drive] -- drive 1 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'RIMM1' has 256 MB
Slot 'RIMM2' has 256 MB
Slot 'RIMM3' is Empty
Slot 'RIMM4' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 119.96 GB 93.41 GB free

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel® 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] RADEON 9500 PRO / 9700 [Display adapter]
RADEON 9500 PRO / 9700 - Secondary [Display adapter]
DELL 1702FP [Monitor] (17.1"vis, January 2003)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller (4x)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller (2x) Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
Game Port for SB Live! Series
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

#2 Limpnoodle

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:53 PM

With a RADEON 9500 PRO in your system already then an upgrade would not give you the best bang for your buck in my opinion. I think it would serve you best by filling those 4 RAM slots with 512MB sticks. You would have 2GB of RAM and everything on your comp would run as smooth as glass.

-Limp

#3 Jon_Pan

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:39 AM

Just get an alien ware system :blink:
hah ;)

#4 King of the Squirrels

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:36 AM

I also agree. More ram would be better. It's the cheapest way to increase your computer performance. I would put at least of gig ram in your system 2 gig even better. Anyone can change ram and can reduce the lag for you system by adding resources to take the some of the load off your videocard and let your cpu do more the work.

Shop around the internet for best bestbuys like zipzoomfly.com or tigerdirect.com and others. Also get a name brand of the good memory not just the cheap stuff which have some latenancy issue.

See yah on the Beach :bop2:

#5 Enforcer

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:49 AM

I just upgraded two sticks of 512 RAM, added to the two 256 sticks and did note an increase in perfomance. I would think your video card for now is okay. The RAM cost about $200 for the 512s, and only $100 for the 256s, so hope this helps. I am running a stock Dell 8300 with the 2.8ghz processor, ati 9800 pro 128mb card, and I have been pleased with the overall performance of it. I don't have any of those fancy blue lights and clear cases and remarkably, my games still run smooth without any computer lag.

You would be running what I run now, about 1.5 gig worth of RAM. I would think that MOST games will not be able to touch that.

#6 Racer

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for the advice. The reason I'm wanting a new card is that this one keeps having triangular "flashes" intermittingly(sp). I've installed the newest driver and it works only until the next reboot, then I have to reinstall. I've had this problem for over a year and it was the same with the "latest" driver at that time. No one seems to be able to find a problem with XP so its assumed that the card itself is messing up.

#7 Ster

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:42 PM

Sounds like your vid-card is overclocking or overheating... and I'm guessing it's more likely overheating. Try cleaning out the dust from your system or increasing the ventilation.

#8 Limpnoodle

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:53 PM

Sounds like your vid-card is overclocking or overheating... and I'm guessing it's more likely overheating. Try cleaning out the dust from your system or increasing the ventilation.

A new box with more fans (and cool lights) are no more than $100 now. Look around and see if that is the way you want to go to reduce the heat. Make sure you get the correct power supply though.... looks like your comp will need a little more than average just to be safe.

Heat = Instability

-Limp

#9 volcom

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:35 PM

Also down the road i would recommend the most nicest card out so you do not have to keep upgrading Hint ati 850x platinum or 6600gt (i hate nvidia)

#10 Racer

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:37 PM

I'm sure its not overheating from dust. I open it up at least once every 2 months and blow out any dust that might be in there. Normally very damn little if any. Also, the card is the one that came with the computer and I've not done anything to change the factory settings other than driver updates.

#11 Grunkzzz

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:21 PM

Ok, you can listen to those other guys... but unless your tricking up CS:S to run differently than stock (someone correct me if I am wrong) it is not going to use more than 1G of ram. So you don't need more than 1G for now. You can always expand it later. Buy 2-512s that will work with your system with the highest speed you can afford.

This is holding you back
::Bus Clock: 533 megahertz
8 kilobyte primary memory cache

Your video card could be improved
RADEON 9500 PRO / 9700 - Secondary [Display adapter]

If I were to buy another video card in your situation I would buy the
800xt it has come down in price somewhat and should give you a very good frame rate.

Although I would be wanting a new motherboard/Ram the most in your situation... But seeing as you are tied to dell your stuck with what you have untill your service contract is up or you buy a new computer or trade that one in.

#12 waubamik

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:47 PM

how can u get more Ram on ur computer and how much is it

#13 DeadlyDon

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:23 PM

If you decide to upgrade the vid card I would look at the GeForce 6600GT($200'ish) or the GeForce 6800GT($300+). They are both the best bang for the buck in their price ranges.

#14 Linux

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:48 PM

Christmas is only 7 months away...and Black Friday only 6 months. I got all of my computer upgrades this Christmas (gig of ram, GeForce 6800, Althon XP 3200+, 200gb HDD, 19" LCD) for nearly half off what they would have been due to a biggin Black Friday sale at CompUSA. Shop for sales.

And upgrade your ram.

#15 HaVoK|ThE FoRcE

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:24 PM

I have read in magazines and in MANY online articles about the Radeon x800XT vs the 6800Ultra. And every single time the x800 is given the nod for these reasons:

1. The rates you get are equal to/Very close the 6800.

2. The 6800's are a LOT harder to find.

3. Especially now with the SLI technology on the AMD boards, the dual x800s would rock anyone's world.

But yes grab yourself some ram try for around PC3200+

The x800 is normally found a little easier and is for the most part reliable. (I have never had a problem with the 2 cards I have had) (449$). The 6800Ultra goes for basically the same price, but I have heard of some complications with the nVidia support.

Deadly Don did say the best bang for your buck, but then again the new technology is coming out in the summer and most of the "best bang for your buck" stuff wont be anymore. So i say try and wait it out a little longer and wait for some new technology and if you cant wait then go with the best because it will be a very good piece of hardware for some time even after the new stuff.

waubamik Posted on May 17 2005, 11:47 PM
   how can u get more Ram on ur computer and how much is it

You can buy it at your local computer store (fry's, comp USA...etc.) And two Good sticks of 512mb go from 100-190 (depending on the speed of the ram and reliability)

#16 Hydlide

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:01 AM

Keep in mind if you are going to upgrade your video card that you also have enough Watts available. With the specs I'v seen in the first post I believe it has a 350 Watt or 400 Watt maybe.

I you for instance upgrade it to a Gforce 6800Ultra you might also consider getting a 500 Watt power supply with it.

(edit: mixed 2 vid cards up ;))

#17 Ryu-XD

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:27 AM

Gforce 9800? wtf??? haha :o

#18 Afrika Korps

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:00 AM

I'm building a PC from Dell, will you tell me if these specs are good enough to run future games? (i.e BF:2)

I'm curious about the Radeon X300 (128mb), is it good?

Here are the full specs of the system:

Processor

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 540 w/HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800FSB)

Memory

512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x256M)

HD

40GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)

CD Drive

Single Drive: 16X DVD-ROM Drive

Vid Card

128MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeonâ„¢ X300 SE

#19 @n@rchist

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:00 AM

1.How much is it?
2.Go for broke and get something better
3.Dont get Dell.
4.http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm
5.Dont get Dell.
I recommend a bigger HardDrive. At least a Gig of ram. At least 256 mb on your graphics card. You dont need H/T for games...
If you are going to buy and not build I honestly recommend http://www.ibuypower.../mall/lobby.htm.

#20 Enforcer

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:25 AM

I may get a homemade computer when I replace my existing computer. However, with the exception of the Dell help crap that you get, I have had NO problems with my Dell 8300. I must defend it. It has a cheesy black case, no blue lights, and no sirens. I does have all that I have needed for my gaming, 2.8 ghz processor, ati 9800 pro 128mb video card, creative labs sound, with the 5.1 speakers by altec lansing, 80 gig C drive, upgraded 120 gig Seagate F drive, upgraded the RAM to 1.5 Gig, a 19" LCD upgraded monitor, stock Dell keyboard, Logitech MX311 optical mouse and boom, you got a decent machine. Mine has done me well.

Now, when I get another machine, I may look into having one of you fine people coughdantecough fix me up a machine but until then, if you want an off the shelf computer, nothing wrong with a dell. Much better than the alternatives..Gateway, Compaq, HP, come to mind.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com