Photo

Upgraded my machine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#21 Assumed

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

this is very similar to my problem but now i have none cause all of a sudden my house lost power and then we got it back and the modem was fixed! :lol: wtf happened? :blink:

#22 adinar

Posted 06 June 2005 - 10:03 PM

this is very similar to my problem but now i have none cause all of a sudden my house lost power and then we got it back and the modem was fixed! :lol: wtf happened? :blink:

See Lin's posts above re:power cycling.... :bop2:

#23 Snake

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:31 PM

Is you current video card pci or agp?

#24 pr0nasaurus rex

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:47 PM

If you don't have an AGP slot, you will definitely need a new motherboard in addition to a new video card to get acceptable performance.

#25 Capt. Conair

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:15 AM

My card is a PCI, but i think i have an AGP slot. Heres my mobo:

Posted Image

And man, if i don't have an AGP slot I'm gonna be pissed... i just bought this mobo.

#26 Snake

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:10 AM

Now I remember I bought the same card you had because I had an internal 64 MB video card and the 128 Nvidia was actually slower so I feel your pain brother. I think you do have an AGP slot. Not sure though.

#27 Wasabi®

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:35 AM

Hello. I haven't been playing on Moon recently because I am waiting for my new comp to come (still hasn't come after 3 weeks, and I sold my old one). First of all definitely get a new vid card,
a FX 5900 is less than $100 nowadays although I HIGHLY recommend the 6600/6800/X700/X800
series if you plan to play Battlefield 2.

I would like to remind you that, a P4-2.8Ghz is WAY enough to play most games, so don't worry about anything except the vid card, it's either that or the ISP. I am located in japan and I always have a high ping of over 150, but gameplay is(was, b/c I sold my comp :P)smooth. And my specs when I played BF were a P4-1.7GHz and a Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4600 card, the CPU is no match for your 2.8Ghz but the vid card is more high quality than a PCI FX 5500, see Tom's hardware .com for benchmarks/advice.

In playing games, the most important thing is 1. Vid card, and 2. Memory, CPU/mobo/others come after those. If you use slow memory such as PC-100 or PC-133 (which I don't think is the case because you have a P4-2.8) that's not the best for games, unfortunately. For example, an Athlon 64 3000 and a Athlon 64 3500 with the same vid card on the same game with same settings will basically have no performance difference, partly because both CPUs are fast enough for the game but mainly because the graphic card can handle it. Similarly, a comp with a fast CPu and a slow videocard will be slower in games than a comp with a slower CPU but a good videocard. If you plan to play games in the next 1-2 years without upgrading, a more expensive card is worth the price. If you get a cheap-ass card like the Geforce 6200, or the Radeon X300, you will end up wasting more money to upgrade when necessary.

And yes, PCI-Express is catching on... But don't buy any videocards until the Nvidia 7x00 series come out. The prices will drop quite a bit making for a good buy on the current 6600/6800s.

Sorry for the long post :)

#28 Capt. Conair

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:47 AM

Ok, thank you wasabi... I guess I'll save up for a better vid card since that seems to be the problem. Thanks for the help guys.

#29 Snake

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:19 PM

I think the brown slot is an agp slot.

#30 Capt. Conair

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:53 PM

Bringing this topic back...

I got a new video card (Radeon 9600XT 256MB) but my lag continues. I used to only be able to play with 15- people, but now i can play with about 25. Thats good, but i still get unplayable lag on Omaha. Can anyone think of why my computer is still a crap machine? :angry:

Now my computers specs are
2.8ghz Celeron-D
1024MB RAM
Radeon 9600XT

#31 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:09 PM

Bringing this topic back...

I got a new video card (Radeon 9600XT 256MB) but my lag continues. I used to only be able to play with 15- people, but now i can play with about 25. Thats good, but i still get unplayable lag on Omaha. Can anyone think of why my computer is still a crap machine? :angry:

Now my computers specs are
2.8ghz Celeron-D
1024MB RAM
Radeon 9600XT

Celeron?

Unless you have some great Celeron (I read a while back that there were exceptions)...a Celeron is a Celeron is a Celeron. Sounds like a weak link to me.

#32 Capt. Conair

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:41 PM

Well, a Celeron-D is the step below P4... a 2.8ghz Celeron-D is equal to a 2.8ghz P4 other than it has less cache and a slower bus clock. But, a 2.8 Cel-D is better than a 2.7 P4.

#33 BombeBomb

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:54 PM

Hello. I haven't been playing on Moon recently because I am waiting for my new comp to come (still hasn't come after 3 weeks, and I sold my old one). First of all definitely get a new vid card,
a FX 5900 is less than $100 nowadays although I HIGHLY recommend the 6600/6800/X700/X800
series if you plan to play Battlefield 2.

I would like to remind you that, a P4-2.8Ghz is WAY enough to play most games, so don't worry about anything except the vid card, it's either that or the ISP. I am located in japan and I always have a high ping of over 150, but gameplay is(was, b/c I sold my comp :P)smooth. And my specs when I played BF were a P4-1.7GHz and a Nvidia Geforce4 Ti 4600 card, the CPU is no match for your 2.8Ghz but the vid card is more high quality than a PCI FX 5500, see Tom's hardware .com for benchmarks/advice.

In playing games, the most important thing is 1. Vid card, and 2. Memory, CPU/mobo/others come after those. If you use slow memory such as PC-100 or PC-133 (which I don't think is the case because you have a P4-2.8) that's not the best for games, unfortunately. For example, an Athlon 64 3000 and a Athlon 64 3500 with the same vid card on the same game with same settings will basically have no performance difference, partly because both CPUs are fast enough for the game but mainly because the graphic card can handle it. Similarly, a comp with a fast CPu and a slow videocard will be slower in games than a comp with a slower CPU but a good videocard. If you plan to play games in the next 1-2 years without upgrading, a more expensive card is worth the price. If you get a cheap-ass card like the Geforce 6200, or the Radeon X300, you will end up wasting more money to upgrade when necessary.

And yes, PCI-Express is catching on... But don't buy any videocards until the Nvidia 7x00 series come out. The prices will drop quite a bit making for a good buy on the current 6600/6800s.

Sorry for the long post :)

I disagree(sp) with your things of importance, I think the MOBO is most important thing on the computer :P

Err well thats my spam for the day. :offtop: :ban:

#34 Limpnoodle

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:56 PM

Celeron is kinda crappy but I still think it is a connection issue.

Please define lag. Is it where people jump all over the screen? Is it you freezing and popping up somewhere else (lag warp)? Is it just freezing where you cant move?

Just break down your version of lag and give VERY specific examples.

-Limp

EDIT** bombe please learn how to quote just the IMPORTANT part of the post that your are referencing. Just look below the box provided for your comments and delete the portions you will not be talking about.

#35 Capt. Conair

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:53 PM

My lag =

It's hard for me to move, weapons sometimes don't switch, had a lot of reload glitches lately, and in BF2 everyone else looks like their lagging.

#36 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:25 PM

My guess would be connection then. Try to bypass the wireless and give it a try. I think it would be worth the $$$ to go a buy the extra cable it would take to get from the wall to your comp so you dont go out and buy anymore hardware. If it doesnt lag wired maybe it is your wireless router.

Good luck

-Limp

#37 The_Curley

Posted 03 July 2005 - 12:29 AM

it may not be your system at all, during peak hours on bf2 everyone lags even me, 3.2 oc's to 3.55,x800xl 1 gb ram, between the hours of 2-7am i get no lag, even in a 64 player server, during the day i actually go to UK and german servers with a 200 ping and i dont lag there...I am thinking a lot of servers are running more people then they should be..and during peak hours it everywhere.

#38 Wasabi®

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:00 PM

Bombe, I meant that in playing games the VGA is the most important. And Conair, I think that the lag you are getting in BF2 may also be client-side lag (that is, your computer's lag). You won't get good performance from a Celeron and a 9600XT. But it's strange that BF1942 is unplayable...it should run nicely even on the highest settings.

Conclusion:
BF2 Lag=Client+net
BF1942 Lag=net

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com