Photo

Video card speed question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 BombeBomb

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

This is link to my mother board spec's

http://h10025.www1.h...ocname=bph07845

Do I need 4x or 8x? I know someone said I need a new mother bored before I can put a new card in, but I can use PCI card and not buy new bored.

Thanks, sorry for the video card thing again lol.

#2 Ster

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

First: Do. Not. Use. A. PCI. Video. Card.

Second: It's probably better just to get a new system from the ground up. Trust me, it would be more trouble than it's worth to try changing the motherboard in an HP.

#3 BombeBomb

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:54 PM

First: Do. Not. Use. A. PCI. Video. Card.

Second: It's probably better just to get a new system from the ground up. Trust me, it would be more trouble than it's worth to try changing the motherboard in an HP.

Why not use a PCI. I ain't buying a new system they cost money I can't spend.

#4 Ster

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:58 PM

PCI is too slow, to put it simply. And chances are that with a stock HP such as yours, changing the MOBO will break the system.

#5 BombeBomb

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:59 PM

PCI is too slow, to put it simply. And chances are that with a stock HP such as yours, changing the MOBO will break the system.

If its faster then the one I got then its fine, will a pci run bf2? Also what speed do I need? And putting a new mobo into the hp will not break it, you just got to know what your doing. My pc is not completely stock. Is for most part tho.

#6 Ster

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:02 PM

Well then go for an AGP 8x MOBO.. but don't be too upset if something doesn't work.

#7 BombeBomb

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

Well then go for an AGP 8x MOBO.. but don't be too upset if something doesn't work.

I don't want a new mobo... I need to know how fast my video card needs to be for this mobo.

#8 Ster

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:21 PM

4x and 8x are AGP speeds.. PCI is all the same speed (less than half of AGP 4x)

#9 BombeBomb

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:56 PM

4x and 8x are AGP speeds.. PCI is all the same speed (less than half of AGP 4x)

ok, thank you. Will PCI run bf2?

#10 Limpnoodle

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:47 AM

Im no expert on these things but I have learned alot in the past month or so. It looks like your MOBO is too old to support the newer graphic cards.

Here are the MINIMUMS to run the game:
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater
ATI Radeon 8500 or greater

You might be able to run one of those cards but Im with ster, you will probably get upset when it doesnt work (or its soo crappy that you cant play).

-Limp

#11 adinar

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:13 AM

Everyone here is right...if your goal is to play BF2, a PCI videocard will not help. The "fastest" PCI videocard I found is a Geforce 5700LE for $100 at newegg, but keep in mind that when they recommended it as the minimum config, they were probably referring to the AGP version. And that is to run it on the lowest quality graphics. And it also doesn't take into consideration how much RAM you have, or what kind of processor you have.

The problem with your statement where you said, "if it's faster than that one I've got it's fine", is that just because it's faster than what you have, doesn't mean it will run BF2, which has some pretty rigorous requirements.

This videocard may *barely* work (if at all), but then you might find out you need to shell out more money for RAM or that your processor isn't fast enough either.

Just face it like some of us, we're resigned that we won't be able to play BF2 until we get ourselves a new system (myself included).

#12 BombeBomb

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:28 PM

Everyone here is right...if your goal is to play BF2, a PCI videocard will not help. The "fastest" PCI videocard I found is a Geforce 5700LE for $100 at newegg, but keep in mind that when they recommended it as the minimum config, they were probably referring to the AGP version. And that is to run it on the lowest quality graphics. And it also doesn't take into consideration how much RAM you have, or what kind of processor you have.

The problem with your statement where you said, "if it's faster than that one I've got it's fine", is that just because it's faster than what you have, doesn't mean it will run BF2, which has some pretty rigorous requirements.

This videocard may *barely* work (if at all), but then you might find out you need to shell out more money for RAM or that your processor isn't fast enough either.

Just face it like some of us, we're resigned that we won't be able to play BF2 until we get ourselves a new system (myself included).

My processor is fast enough, and I got 760megs of ram ( can get 260 more easily )
My main reason is to not run bf2, rather then bf2 is so advanced ill be set for many of the other games. My computer is only 2 years old.

#13 @n@rchist

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

Ok...Please post your specs:
Processor:
Ram:
etc etc...

#14 BombeBomb

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:44 PM

HP

Specs

p4 2.4ghz

400MHz Front side bus ( not sure what that means yet)

ASUS 4G533 motherboard

760MB RAM DDR2100
80GB HD
Integrated Intel Extreme graphics with up to 64 MB shared video memory (copy and pasted)
OS-Windows xp home
ISP-Adelphia 5MB
Normal case
Wireless IBM keyboard
Optical logitech mouse

If you need to know anything else, its a pavilion 525W

#15 Frags

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:33 PM

hmmmmm integrated graphics thats funny upgrade ur whole comp ur p4 gonna cry when its starts up bf2 maybe to pci express oh and how the hell r u gonna get 260 mb of ram they onlt come in 256

#16 BombeBomb

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:27 PM

hmmmmm integrated graphics thats funny upgrade ur whole comp ur p4 gonna cry when its starts up bf2 maybe to pci express oh and how the hell r u gonna get 260 mb of ram they onlt come in 256

I was meaning buy another 512 take the old 256 out.. therefore giveing me the other ram. Also the rest of your post was nothing but blurb from your terrable grammar.

#17 Limpnoodle

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:07 PM

nothing but blurb from your terrable grammar.

Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

terrible

-Limp

#18 BombeBomb

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

nothing but blurb from your terrable grammar.

Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

terrible

-Limp

Pfft my spelling always owns me. Only reason I said that is he basicly threw stones at my computer, cause it was not good enough. Alwell!

#19 Wasabi®

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:19 PM

I'm sorry to say this, but your computer is no gaming machine. Companies, not restricted to computer companies, use this tactic :

"Pentium 4 3GHz computer for ONLY $500!"
"TV Computer for only $800!"
"DVD-RW computer for only $1000!"

Basically, they point out the (usually only) nice part about their product and give it a price, ignoring everything else.

If you really want to tackle BF2 with that computer, I'd say go ahead and get a PCI videocard. I can assure you, though, that even on the lowest settings performance will be poor. A workaround if you weren't using an HP computer would be to exchange the motherboard, but you can't do that. You might as well want to stick with BF1942 (Which I'm surprised you can run with Intel graphics) until you can afford a *major* upgrade.

#20 BombeBomb

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:10 PM

I'm sorry to say this, but your computer is no gaming machine. Companies, not restricted to computer companies, use this tactic :

"Pentium 4 3GHz computer for ONLY $500!"
"TV Computer for only $800!"
"DVD-RW computer for only $1000!"

Basically, they point out the (usually only) nice part about their product and give it a price, ignoring everything else.

If you really want to tackle BF2 with that computer, I'd say go ahead and get a PCI videocard. I can assure you, though, that even on the lowest settings performance will be poor. A workaround if you weren't using an HP computer would be to exchange the motherboard, but you can't do that. You might as well want to stick with BF1942 (Which I'm surprised you can run with Intel graphics) until you can afford a *major* upgrade.

Settings were on medum when I said they was on high (oops) so I put everything on high, shadows ect, and it ran fine. Maybe you guys underestimated the card ( a very little bit cause it does suck ) When I bought this computer they never advertised like that, but anyways im not into gaming heavy enough to spend 5grand yet. Whenever I build my own tho, it will make yours look like, well I dunno :P depends on what is top of the line at the time. Well while on the thread, whats your guys opinions on water cooled cases?

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com