Photo

New Computer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 Rabbit

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:22 PM

I have gotten to the point where it is useless for me to try and upgrade my computer. I know some of you will insist on making my own but frankly I don't have the time or knowlege to do so. My budjet is around $1000 give or take.

Right now I have a Dell Demension 8300
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
512MB RAM PCI 3200
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

With my Video Card and RAM I can barely play BF2 at low resolution with more than 45-50 fps. Acorrding to EA I shouldn't be able to play BF2 with my video card :huh:.So basically my goal is the ability to play BF2 with no lag.

#2 Limpnoodle

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:23 PM

Right now I have a Dell Demension 8300
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
512MB RAM PCI 3200
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

You have the start of a great computer... for $1000 you can make is amazing.

Take $240 and get 4 512MB RAM sticks. (I just paid $120 for 1GB 2x512)

Your motherboard probably doesnt have PCIe so just get a kick ass AGP card for around $300.

Your processor is good enough in my mind, now if you had PCIe and were going with a kick ass card I would recommed something bigger in the processor.

The RAM and video card are plug and play, so if you can get into your case you should be fine. Your power supply might need a boost so if you can find out it's specs it may help too.

#3 Craspir

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:23 AM

Your motherboard probably doesnt have PCIe so just get a kick ass AGP card for around $300.

As for the Video Card: I would recommend you either a GF 6600 GT or a Radeon X800 (Pro). Both Cards have a good Price/Performance Ratio and should run BF2 without Problems. ;)

Edited by Craspir, 28 November 2005 - 06:25 AM.

#4 Wasabi®

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:21 AM

You could get a whole new gaming system with these kinds of specs

AMD Athlon 64 3x00
1GB RAM
6600GT (or 6800)
Nice case
160GB HD

for well under 1200 bucks. Look around online stores and I'm sure you will find many BTO places that will build exactly what you want. Just something to consider.

#5 pest control

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:18 AM

if you wanna go :pinkele: u want this one:

http://www.cray.com/.../x1e/index.html

u will have to get a job to get it though

#6 Linux

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:10 PM

You should have started looking about a week ago. There were many sales over the weekend at Best Buy and the like for Black Friday. I got an ATI X700 Pro 256mb for my dad for only $99.99.

#7 @n@rchist

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:13 PM

He isnt building...people listen. CLICK HERE DO IT NOW!!! This you can completly customize everything. Decent prices too.

#8 Rabbit

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:59 PM

@n@rchist wins :applaud:

#9 Wasabi®

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:35 AM

:rofl: Pest

#10 Frags

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:13 PM

You should have started looking about a week ago. There were many sales over the weekend at Best Buy and the like for Black Friday. I got an ATI X700 Pro 256mb for my dad for only $99.99.

i grabbed that card too

#11 Ster

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:50 AM

He isnt building...people listen. CLICK HERE DO IT NOW!!! This you can completly customize everything. Decent prices too.

www.cyberpowersystem.com is run by the same people and has cheaper prices..

#12 @n@rchist

Posted 30 November 2005 - 06:25 AM

Thanks ster...I couldnt remember the other one...

#13 paper_gh0st

Posted 30 November 2005 - 07:14 AM

i kinda remember dell telling me that u cant upgrade the pc that well cuz they lock the bios and the ram is only used to a certain point.

#14 kan3

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:39 AM

Your computer is completely acceptable and only needs 2 small upgrades, no need to spend even half of what you're looking at.

Upgrade 1: dual channel 1gb kit

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145440

Upgrade 2: new video card

Since you specifically mentioned BF2 I would suggest either you wait for the 6800GS agp model to come out this month in the price range of $200-220 or buy a 6800GT for about $275ish...they have similar performance.

$400 at the very most for upgrades

Edited by kan3, 30 November 2005 - 11:40 AM.

#15 dante

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:53 PM

Below are your general specs of your system straight from Dell - the Mobo is a Dell OEM the do lock the system to make them proprietary to only Dell upgrades - when getting memory make sure you go to Corsair, crucial, ocz website and use the memory finders you put your systems info in and they give you the memory that will work with that system this way if it is bad of fries your Mobo they will cover it 100% - you gave no AGP slot so you will need to get a PCI video card for your system be real careful with anything above a 6600 on the NVIDIA side, the board is long and may not fit properly in that style case. Other than that your system is not bad! I resell and distribute Dell computers in my stores and I am also Dell certified for service! Let me know if you have any other questions! You can find my info in the Core section of the home page!

General
Processor Intel Pentium 4
Processor speed 3000 MHz
Processor socket type mPGA 478
Frontside bus speed 800 MHz
Motherboard Dell OEM
Chipset Intel 874P
RAM installed 512 MB
Number of memory slots 4
RAM capacity 2048 MB
RAM type DDR400 SDRAM
PCI slots: total 4
PCI slots: free 2
AMR/CNR slots 0
Parallel ports 1
Serial ports 1
PS/2 ports 2
USB ports 8 (2 front; 6 rear)
IEEE 1394 ports 1 (on sound card)
Case form factor tower
Tool-free access yes
External 5.25in. drive bays free 0
External 3.5in.drive bays free 1
Internal 3.5in. drive bays free 1

#16 Beautiful_Death

Posted 01 December 2005 - 10:20 AM

But don't you have to install Windows and the drivers yourself with these systems? And that costs a lot(if you do it legally).

#17 @n@rchist

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:03 PM

$80 for windows...finding your drivers...and for $18 they will do it for you.

#18 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:40 AM

But don't you have to install Windows and the drivers yourself with these systems? And that costs a lot(if you do it legally).

I got Windows with mine.

Cyberpowersystems was good to me. They forgot my 12in1 card reader and shipped one out to me no questions asked. My blue cathode went out and a week later I got a new one (still not connected cause im lazy).

#19 kan3

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:24 AM

Below are your general specs of your system straight from Dell - the Mobo is a Dell OEM the do lock the system to make them proprietary to only Dell upgrades - when getting memory make sure you go to Corsair, crucial, ocz website and use the memory finders you put your systems info in and they give you the memory that will work with that system this way if it is bad of fries your Mobo they will cover it 100% - you gave no AGP slot so you will need to get a PCI video card for your system be real careful with anything above a 6600 on the NVIDIA side, the board is long and may not fit properly in that style case. Other than that your system is not bad! I resell and distribute Dell computers in my stores and I am also Dell certified for service! Let me know if you have any other questions! You can find my info in the Core section of the home page!

General
Processor speed 3000 MHz
Motherboard Dell OEM
Chipset Intel 874P
RAM installed 512 MB
Number of memory slots 4
RAM capacity 2048 MB
RAM type DDR400 SDRAM
PCI slots: free 2
AMR/CNR slots 0
Parallel ports 1
Serial ports 1
PS/2 ports 2
USB ports 8 (2 front; 6 rear)
IEEE 1394 ports 1 (on sound card)
Case form factor tower
Tool-free access yes
External 5.25in. drive bays free 0
External 3.5in.drive bays free 1
Internal 3.5in. drive bays free 1

8300 come standard with an 4x/8x agp slot
It's part of the feature set of the chipset

#20 dante

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:01 AM

YA ok - what spec sheet did you read that from? The specs that I have on the page are right from Dell and the Dell OEM boards do not come standard with AGP for a 20 something year old you need to learn, but your getting there!

General
Processor speed 3000 MHz
Motherboard Dell OEM
Chipset Intel 874P
RAM installed 512 MB
Number of memory slots 4
RAM capacity 2048 MB
RAM type DDR400 SDRAM