Photo

Need Suggestions about Hardware Upgrades

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 IronHank

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:30 PM

On BF2 my loading times are abysmal. Frequently I will have to wait 7-10 minutes to load a map and start playing. I believe this has something to do with my hardware (which I've been meaning to upgrade for some time now.)

I'm currently running on:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83 GHz
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600
NVIDIA nForce

Although I am a bit illiterate with computers, I do know that my stuff a bit slow compared to the newer equipment available now, but I can't afford an entirly new system. Can anybody help me out?

Edited by IronHank, 26 December 2005 - 11:42 PM.

#2 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:34 PM

I'm not sure about the processor, but the memory could sure use a big boost. Double or triple it.

#3 IronHank

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:44 PM

I'm not sure about the processor, but the memory could sure use a big boost. Double or triple it.

What are you running on, just so I can get an idea of what works.

#4 Oo.Brown.Guy.oO

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:09 AM

Get a newer graphics card, preferably something PCI-E.
You definately need more ram, I'd say at least one more gig.
New mother board and processor. Something above 3.0Ghz.

#5 KatManDu

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:31 AM

<_< I go with the rest ... BF2 needs about 1.1Gb ram to run smoothly (on high settings). Your 512Mb is too small, so the puter has to shuffle the game in and out from your hard drive all the time. And hard drives are not the fastest ram etc. Ram .. video card ... cpu ... hard drive ...

#6 Soldaten

Posted 27 December 2005 - 07:47 AM

Get a newer graphics card, preferably something PCI-E.
You definately need more ram, I'd say at least one more gig.
New mother board and processor. Something above 3.0Ghz.

Clearly didn'r read the original post..

The other posters are correct, increase your RAM to at least 1.0Ghz since BF2 consumes a ton of memory. During the initial loading phase of the game much of the data needed is written to RAM. If you run out of RAM (and you will!) then the system starts using your Hard Drive which everyone knows is slower.

-S

#7 @n@rchist

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:20 AM

http://www.moongamer...hp?showtopic=15

^Run the app at the bottom to tell us exactly what you have.^ Because you posted two different graphics cards.

#8 IronHank

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:56 AM

^Run the app at the bottom to tell us exactly what you have.^ Because you posted two different graphics cards.

There's are a lot of things in the report that don't quite make sense to me, so I'm going to post what I think is important.

1. Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X2.0 REV 2.xx
2. 512 Megabytes Installed Memory, 2 x 256 DDR
3. 1.85 GHz AMD Athlon XP 2500+, 128 kilobyte primary memory cache, 512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
4. RADEON 9600 SERIES [Display adapter], RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary [Display adapter]
5. WDC WD1200JB-00DUA3 [Hard drive] (120.03 GB)
6. NVIDIA® nForce Audio, NVIDIA nForce Audio Codec Interface, NVIDIA nForce MCP Audio Processing Unit
7. Windows XP Home Edition

Tell me if I missed anything.

#9 GrimReaper

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:40 AM

really the only thing holding you back is your ram, everything else is pretty decent. i am running 2 gigs of ram and i still get some choppyness with High Settings.

#10 IronHank

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:53 AM

really the only thing holding you back is your ram, everything else is pretty decent. i am running 2 gigs of ram and i still get some choppyness with High Settings.

Thanks. Any suggestions on brand, or should I just add another Gig or more?

#11 Animal Mother

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:57 AM

MEMORY........MEMORY.......MEMORY!!!!!

Hank,currently thats all I have( 2x256). When I asked dante what would give me a performance boost,
a Raid 0 with the WD Raptors or more memory,he explained what each would do. More memory would
benefit gaming tremendously.....so...there you go!!

Later

#12 Lin

Posted 27 December 2005 - 12:56 PM

www.danteit.com :applaud:

#13 GrimReaper

Posted 27 December 2005 - 02:55 PM

As far as how much memory, I would recommend having at least 1 gig. The more the better really. I personally run 2 gigs.

As far as brands, I use Corsair memory. Its a little expensive but their ram is solid and they have a life time replacement warranty

#14 IronHank

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:45 PM

Alright, thanks for helping me out guys.

#15 secchione di assassino

Posted 27 December 2005 - 11:53 PM

believe or not i'm also running a radeon 9600 and amd 2500+
only difference is i have 1 gig of ram. the maps still take a while to load, but nothing like 10 minutes. definitely go for the ram. the radeon 9600 is a solid card for it's low price and i'm able to run bf2 on medium without problems.

#16 IronHank

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:08 PM

believe or not i'm also running a radeon 9600 and amd 2500+
only difference is i have 1 gig of ram. the maps still take a while to load, but nothing like 10 minutes. definitely go for the ram. the radeon 9600 is a solid card for it's low price and i'm able to run bf2 on medium without problems.

That's good to hear. Now I know that I don't have to wreck my bank account to cut that time down and get the settings up. Thanks.

#17 pest control

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:39 PM

before buying, you want to check what kind of memory does your mobo support first, it should be 184 pin DDR.

have you updated ATI catalyst driver?

and theres a alot of difference in the ingame video settings that you choose, go for lower settings and that would relieve the hardware your using and have smother performance.

#18 IronHank

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:12 PM

before buying, you want to check what kind of memory does your mobo support first, it should be 184 pin DDR.

have you updated ATI catalyst driver?

and theres a alot of difference in the ingame video settings that you choose, go for lower settings and that would relieve the hardware your using and have smother performance.

Hopefully that will help, but I also play CoD2, and that takes up a load of memory and processing power, so I have to upgrade anyway.

Yes, I did update the driver, but it didn't do anything I could see.

#19 The Xevious

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:13 PM

Just a note: The Nvidia NForce is a motherboard chipset, not a graphics card. ;)

#20 IronHank

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:30 AM

Just a note: The Nvidia NForce is a motherboard chipset, not a graphics card. ;)

maybe so, but it apparently also does audio, because thats what runs all the audio things on my computer, and my motherboard is Asus

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com