Photo

Punkbuster problem in BattleField 2

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Striker

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

I can succesfully start BF 2, and can play it for about 2 minutes online (with horrible lag) before it suddenly kicks me for this error: RESTRICTION: Corrupt File/Memory.

Does anyone know what's wrong? I think it might be Vista. I haven't tried running it in xp compatibility yet.

thanks!

matt

#2 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

You using a no-cd patch/cracked exe to run the game without the disk? If so that will be the cause of your kick.

#3 Why Two Kay

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

It has to be Vista related, as I've used no-cd patches for all my games. Perfectly legal move too, so PB will not yell at you for that.

As far as how to fix it in Vista, just make sure it's running as elevated "administrator" and all that stuff. No idea about compatibility mode, but that could be tried.

#4 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:57 AM

It has to be Vista related, as I've used no-cd patches for all my games.

Are you confusing no-cd patches with mini-images? PB can and will kick for using a cracked exe/no-cd patch, but will not kick for using a mini-image.

It has to be Vista related

And if it was Vista related, then why have I never been kicked for the same reason?

#5 Leeham

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:58 AM

It has to be Vista related, as I've used no-cd patches for all my games. Perfectly legal move too, so PB will not yell at you for that.

As far as how to fix it in Vista, just make sure it's running as elevated "administrator" and all that stuff. No idea about compatibility mode, but that could be tried.

No CD Cracks break the End-User Licence Agreement so they are literally illegal to use. Although I don't think any companies push for any kind of charges, it breaches copyright and they have the right to restrict CD Crackers online usage.

#6 Why Two Kay

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

Patch, not Crack, there are differences. I have my cd-key on my computer, and use it as such, but the game simply does not check for the existence of a CD in the drive.

When I say Vista related, I mean it probably has to do with the permissions in the operating system, or how he specifically has things configured. The only times I have previously seen corrupt memory is when DLL's are being injected into the game.

#7 Leeham

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

Patches are cracks in terms of not needing the CD in the drive after changing the EXE when normally you would.

#8 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

Patches are cracks in terms of not needing the CD in the drive after changing the EXE when normally you would.

Very true. This,

http://www.totalbf2....ad.php?t=108824

explains it very well what the differences are.

#9 Leeham

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

Putting it simply to stop any further confusion:

A no CD patch cracks the CD protection of the EXE

No CD Patches are aimed really at piracy anyway so, if you want to support theft then use one all you like :)

I've never come across using a mini image instead, is it worth the hassle?

#10 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:47 PM

I've never come across using a mini image instead, is it worth the hassle?

You like having to swap disks every time you want to play a different game? The only time I take out my game disks is to install them, after that they get put in a safe place till the next time. The tutorial on TBF2 is as good as any,

http://www.totalbf2....ead.php?t=54305

and despite what he says, it works just fine with Alcohol as well as Daemon Tools. I currently have 3 virtual drives setup with my three most played games already loaded so when I want to play, no digging around for the disks; want to play one that isn't already loaded, very quick and easy to switch it.

#11 Why Two Kay

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:59 PM

Actually, No-CD Patches are aimed at convenience, not piracy. You have to have installed it originally using the CD and used a legal CD-Key. Else you could not play online with cd-key errors!

I never found well working mini images except for Age of Empires III, in which no patches exist. What do you use to mount them? I tried Daemon tools, but it was too bloated to deal with. Microsoft had a downloadable virtual disk mounting program from ISO, which I have used in the past since it's just an EXE with no install required.

#12 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

I never found well working mini images except for Age of Empires III, in which no patches exist.

Found one on gamecopyworld, but can't test it as I don't have the game. Have you tried making one yourself? There are some games that won't work with mini-images, BF2142 being one that I am aware of.

What do you use to mount them? I tried Daemon tools, but it was too bloated to deal with.

I use Alcohol 120, don't like DT either. At least with Alcohol it doesn't need to be running all the time; open the program, setup however many virtual drives you want, load up the mini-images, close Alcohol and go. Only need to open it again to change a mini-image to one not already loaded. Another thing with DT is if you don't watch it when installing you will find yourself with a lovely little toolbar added,

DAEMON Tools is an advanced application for Microsoft Windows which provides THE best optical media emulation in the industry.
!! THIS VERSION SUPPORTS 32BIT OS (Microsoft Windows XP, Windows2003, Windows 2000, VISTA) ONLY !!
This version has an option to install client-side software applications (DAEMON Tools Searchbar and Save Now) that deliver a limited number of behaviorally targeted and contextually relevant coupons, ads and comparative shopping results directly to consumers desktops - without compromising the privacy, security or smooth functioning of peoples computers!

Thanks, but no thanks.

Actually, No-CD Patches are aimed at convenience, not piracy. You have to have installed it originally using the CD and used a legal CD-Key.

Try that in BF2 and you will get the same kick as Striker.

#13 mike080697

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

Three kids and one $49.99 dollar game = scratched/broken play disc.
I use Alcohol also, but I could never get it to work with BF2. Maybe I need to install the game first and then run Alcohol?
I don't think the EULA is violated because I read it was acceptable to archive your original discs even though you can't sometimes, lol.

#14 csmeyerd

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

I've gotta try this for a few reasons: 1. would be nice not be annoyed from the disk revving noise every time I boot the computer or game 2. the game should load faster and 3. i'm curious to see if it'll work

#15 Why Two Kay

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

2. the game should load faster and

Not really, since it doesn't actually load anything off of the disk, it just checks that it is there.

#16 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

I use Alcohol also, but I could never get it to work with BF2. Maybe I need to install the game first and then run Alcohol?

CD or DVD version? If it is the CD give mine a try,

http://files.filefro...;/fileinfo.html

been using it for close to a year and a half with no problems. If it is the DVD version go to gamecopy world and grab "Battlefield 2 [ALL] No-DVD/Fixed Image #3" (I believe that is the correct one).

Best reason ever for using mini-images.

#17 mike080697

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

CD or DVD version? If it is the CD give mine a try,

http://files.filefro...;/fileinfo.html

been using it for close to a year and a half with no problems. If it is the DVD version go to gamecopy world and grab "Battlefield 2 [ALL] No-DVD/Fixed Image #3" (I believe that is the correct one).

Best reason ever for using mini-images.

Thanks Stormy, It's the CD. I'll try it out.
I also just bought another copy of BF2 for Bluestar's (my son) birthday in August so he'll be joining us.

I especially like the new packaging for the games, you know the one that looks like a DVD movie. The kids pull on the outside of the discs and crack the center where it's held to the case. Argh. Oblivion just cost me like $22.00 to get replaced.

#18 Striker

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

okay here's the deal. I was afraid to mention this, but I think it might have to do with it. I bought the battlefield 2 deluxe edition cd version. I have a legal cd-key but lost all the discs except for the first install one (don't ask me how, cause I just don't know.) So, to get a quick fix to it, I downloaded a dvd version of bf2, and installed it. I used the cd-key i got from my original, and I tried a no-dvd patch, but it didn't work. So, i reverted to using the cd to run the game. Do you think that might be the cause? A cd verses a dvd install of a non-deluxe version?

#19 Why Two Kay

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:18 PM

Yes.

#20 Striker

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:00 PM

Yes.

that figures.

well, i guess bf2 is no longer my option for fun, at least until i find the game discs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com