Photo

Windows 7 Tips

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

I want to start this thread since a lot of us will be switching to Win 7 over the next few months and I am sure some of us will have some issues with games and etc.

Make sure that you are only posting tips about Win 7 and/or solutions to particular issues you run into.

I would like to start by telling you how to get to the "profile" folder for COD:WAW so that you can restore your profile after you upgrade from Vista, XP, or whatever. First, make sure you back up your profile in the first place. To be safe, make sure you save it to a different drive, USB stick, or disk of some sort. You can get the backup tool here Attached File  COD5_profile_backup.zip   1.78KB   0 downloads.

After you install Win 7 and update all your drivers (make sure you do this for your sound, video, mobo, mouse, keyboard, etc.) you can then install your game and your patches. When you run your game, enter your game name. That will create the necessary folder for your profile. The folder can be found here C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaW\players. You have to make sure that you set your system to show you hidden. The fast way to do that is just to type in "Folder Options" into "Search Programs and Files" on your Start button. Then you just press "enter", click on "view", and click next to "Show hidden files and folders". Then you can copy your saved profile and just dump it into the above folder.

I also found that the game only works if you install it via the express setting in the default location. When I changed the default location of the install folder (I wanted it it on my D drive so that it would not be on the same drive as Windows) it would not launch. This happened with both COD:WAW and COD:MW, but I had no problems with MOH:Airborne. The only way I could fix it is to uninstall and reinstall the standard way.

Control Panel Tip

If you are like me and you tend to play around a lot with your comp's settings, you may want to pin the Control Panel to your taksbar. All you have to do is open it, right click on it in the taskbar, and click on Pin... Now you have quick access to all the goodness that is the Control Panel.

#2 spookyload

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:20 PM

I have it installed on both of my computers now. No issues with it yet. BF2 install was easy as pie.

#3 Sgt.Stahlman

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:49 PM

Well, this is more of a question. I have Win 7 RC and am wondering, I could not get Punk Buster to run correctly so my BF2 would not load either. I have not tried since the 1.5 patch, just wondering?

John

#4 spookyload

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

1.5 should have addressed that.

#5 Masterdrop

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

Maybe a mistake??? I just installed Windows 7 this week, (stand alone). I was previously running dual boot xp/win7. The problem is that when I try to install BF2 and it asks for the 2nd install disk, it fails. A window pops up and says that BF2 has failed to install and to restart the installation. I have restarted the installation 3 times and always the same thing, fails to install. That's why I had a dual boot setup, so that BF2 could be played in XP. This is the first and only game that I have tried to install since running Windows 7 by itself. Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA :D

#6 Jack

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:06 PM

A problem I am running into on one machine is that when I change the desktop resolution it decides to give me the black screen of death. I have to reboot the PC, but I still can't change the resolution. Any ideas? I have the new ATI 5850 and I think that it might be a Catalyst issue.

#7 Masterdrop

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

ok figured it all out....FINALLY....lol I just so happen to have 2 BF2 games...both cd type. Now for the problem I was having.....(note to self)....do not mix #1 cd from one set with #2 and #3 cd from other set. I had some how gotten the games mixed up and it didn't like the cd key that I was using from one set to another along with the cds being mixed up this was a totally confusing issue. Almost as confusing as this post is turning out to be. So in a nutshell, I will now be able to get back on and do some killin' :applaud:

#8 Livestrong

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

ok figured it all out....FINALLY....lol I just so happen to have 2 BF2 games...both cd type. Now for the problem I was having.....(note to self)....do not mix #1 cd from one set with #2 and #3 cd from other set. I had some how gotten the games mixed up and it didn't like the cd key that I was using from one set to another along with the cds being mixed up this was a totally confusing issue. Almost as confusing as this post is turning out to be. So in a nutshell, I will now be able to get back on and do some killin' :applaud:

:withstup: j/k ;)

#9 Jack

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:21 AM

Just a heads up. Microsoft Security Essentials was somehow causing my game and desktop issues. COD:MW and COD:WAW were affected to the point where they would both freeze right after the spash screen. The comp would go to what seemed like "sleep mode", but the only way to wake it was hard reboot. After talking to XFX about the card, I decided to install everything bit by bit. After a reformat, I did all of the updates and installed the games. They worked just fine until I added MSE. I uninstalled it and all is good for about 2 weeks now :)

#10 Alvin Tostig

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:59 AM

good thread jack.
i've had really no problems with a new computer i built. for 1942 you have to run it is administrator mode and i'm also running it in xp sp3 compatibility mode. i've crashed a bit more than i like, thankfully not in the middle of a round, but i haven't narrowed down why exactly it crashes.

#11 Jac3624

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:11 AM

I've been using Windows 7 for a while now and haven't had any problems. That is until about a month ago. My system started sputtering along and I didn't know why, then I looked in task manager. A process called WinSAT.exe was the cause, after I stopped that process everything went back to normal. I found out that it's apart of the experience score, except more detailed.

Enough back story, after some searching tonight I for a site that shows how to stop it from starting again. here's a link Click here

I would suggest disabling it since it kills performance and it seems to start even when you're in game, though it shouldn't.

#12 spookyload

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:45 AM

Interesting. I disabled it. I did notice that the task is only supposed to run if the cpu is idle for ten minutes. Mine was scheduled at 1:00 AM the first Sunday of the month.

#13 Jac3624

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:56 AM

I have another for you guys. Though not a Win 7 tweak, but something useful. If you have the 64-bit version you can't use TSO, it just doesn't work with 64-bit OSs. If you're like me, you don't like having to either have a second display or a G15 applet to see who is talking on TS.

I've tried a couple programs and none of them worked and qNub(TSO creator) is going rather slow on finishing Project TINT. I just found on that works, it's called Playclaw and it works fine for me. Here's alink if you want to check it out: clicky. It's a nice little program and at least it's something to use until Project TINT(Link) get's to a workable state and is released to the public.

#14 Jack

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

Catalyst 9.12 has fixed the issue with MS Security Essentials.

#15 Livestrong

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:41 PM

Found this, kinda cool.

http://news.cnet.com...0423985-56.html

#16 Alvin Tostig

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:53 AM

Found this, kinda cool.

lol i just ran into this article last night as well

#17 Monkey

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

Found this, kinda cool.

lol i just ran into this article last night as well

LMAO Had no clue this worked on 7 as well I would ahve posted it near the start of this thread. Have had this on my Vista32 laptop for a good while.

#18 dodgem

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:12 AM

Hmph. There's no option to "Prevent BF1942.exe from crashing with numerous Alt-tabs" option.

#19 Alvin Tostig

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hmph. There's no option to "Prevent BF1942.exe from crashing with numerous Alt-tabs" option.

some of the background programs I have running seem to really affect how often 42' crashes. I sometimes have skype on in the background which seems to crash the game more often. Are there any other programs you can not have running when you have 42' up?

#20 dodgem

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

Hehe.

Erm. All I usually have open is Firefox and the RM. It either happens from Alt-Tabbing too much, or for too long.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com