Photo

Need help getting back to BF 1942 on a Mac

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 java

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:14 AM

About 2 years ago I came to this board to figure out how to get my Mac Intel Core 2 Duo to run BF 1942, because I was getting kicked from Punkbuster all the time. I found the instructions on this web site that were great. Bute, my hard drive crashed, and now I am starting from scratch to get back onto BF 1942. I'm probably one of two Mac users that play the game on a Mac.

But, now PB doesn't support BF 1942, and the BF 1942 update option is not on the list for the Mac version of PunkBuster. Does anyone have instructions on how I can start to play BF 1942 again with a Mac?

#2 Section8

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

We have many more Mac Users than we had back in the day and hopefully someone with a similar set up can help. I have an old powerPC but have switched to the PC long ago.

However, to get the ball rolling so that others may help you... what system are you running and the system number please? Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion. (10.4.11, 10.5, 10.6 or 10.7)

Thanks,

Section 8

Below is the link the pc side/mac windows side. It may offer some help while you await a "true" mac user.

PB Help

#3 Monkey

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

As I suggest to the PC players once you fix this back up the entire game and PB directories to a DVD. This way if things go bad again you can simply copy things back over and have the files where they need to be and functioning.

#4 java

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

[quote name='Section8' timestamp='1324477026' post='651006']
We have many more Mac Users than we had back in the day and hopefully someone with a similar set up can help. I have an old powerPC but have switched to the PC long ago.

However, to get the ball rolling so that others may help you... what system are you running and the system number please? Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion. (10.4.11, 10.5, 10.6 or 10.7)

Thanks,

Section 8
=============================================

Thank you for responding to my post.
I am on an Apple IMac with OS X Leopard (10.5.8) with a 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Do processor.

I followed the following instructions from Trexchard's post from 2009 http://www.moongamer...showtopic=43249 which was very helpful the first time. And, yes, I should have backed-up my hard drive, which would have made my life easier.

Here are the steps that I took from Trexchard's post:

1. Install Battlefield 1942 the standard way;

2. Update to the 1.61d patch. However, you can't use the regular patch installer to accomplish this. Instead, you must use the manual installer. Click here to download it from the Aspyr website. (I manually installed the six files that Trexchard mentions in his post);

3. In order to get that working, you must update two files that the manual installer missed: init.con and contentCrc32.con. (Note: the link to the files no longer exists; however, the files can be obtained from this web site. Thank you to whoever posted them);

4. One more thing... update punkbuster in order to play as well. For some reason EA or Aspyr or Punkbuster has made it difficult for us and you must do this manually, instead of the normal auto update. Go to the Punkbuster website and download the PBSetup app for the Mac here. (when I tried this, the option for "Battlefield 1942" is not an option to add game, which is because PB has stopped supporting the game.

(In the link below, it has a link to the Windows version of the PB update with instructions, but this does not work for the Mac. When I try to play Moongamers, I get kicked with an error message "pb server requires (A1331 C2.110)" . . . . " This is because the "Battlefield 1942" update file is missing from the PB software.)

My Plea . . . . . . .

Now . . . . .I know what PC users are thinking . . . . . Mac's are a PITA; but I have always been a Mac user since the Apple IIC, and will always continue to be a Mac user, even if it means giving up BF 1942. However, I can't be the only user out their using an IMac while playing BF 1942; and yes, I might add, I am proud to be one of those "engineers" that mostly has a negative score because I lay mines in the wrong places; however, I would appreciate any help that anyone can give. Thank you.

#5 java

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:00 AM

[quote name='CreamzØr°' timestamp='1324628404' post='651132']
Did you go to our "downloads" section of the forums in the top right-hand corner? You'll find that either Monkey or Tankpanzer's fix should work (I own a PC and don't know whether the file paths/con files must differ for Mac).

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and referring me to Monkey and Tank messages. Unfortunately, the PB help files that they link to are for PC's (".exe" files). If there were something similar for the Mac, I would be in business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com