Photo

Friends

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Enforcer

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

I just wanted to take the time to say, be mindful who we are giving the password to. The current Moongamers server where we are playing are for Moonies that are known and as a perk to being a Moonie, we have our own little sandbox to play in. The PvP server will be up shortly, probably before this weekend, so that will be the public open to all comers server. THIS server is a COOP server, meaning we work together to make each other have fun, make things, get lumber, fish etc. If we give the password to anyone who asks, and that person wants to be the bandit..what was the point of a password.

So, couple of rules regarding the giving passwords to friends of Moonies, that as far as I can tell, are not Moonies.

1. They need to be Moonies. They need to get in forum and make their introductions. I don't mind folks coming into game, but, again, this is a COOP server where we are crafting things, and generally, just fooling around with the game, what does it have to offer, making bases, flying helicopters and killing zeds. It is not meant to be a public server because, it will immediately fall into a PvP server where we won't have any choice but to kill any other survivor we see for fear of being killed ourselves.

2. The Moongamers member who provided the password to someone outside of the Moongamers ranks, will take responsibility for their guest's actions. For example, your guest shoots and kills a Moonie to loot the body, not only will the guest be asked to leave, but, you as a Moonie will be responsible for helping the dude who just got killed getting some stuff back. As admins, we can probably get keys back, but, most else will just be lost.

I don't know who Bubbles is, but, I don't recognize the name. I don't see them in teamspeak. We have already had one incident where one our Moonies was not on the same page as the rest, and paid the iron price for it and to my knowledge, has not been back.

Again the point of the COOP server is for Moongamers to play Dayz and NOT have to worry about bandits and such and that aspect of the game. When I want that kind of game, I along with other Moonies will hopefully band together and fight against other unknown single players and groups on the other server. The COOP server is not the server for that environment.

And frankly, I would like the Moongamers members who are giving the passwords to their friends to announce the friends who we may see in game and their names in forum, so we are not surprised by an unknown player in game.

With as much time as several folks have invested into the game already, I am familiar with just about everyone who plays Dayz. Please don't allow a "friend" to come in and ruin it for you.

#2 Enforcer

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:33 PM

This is what I don't want. I read this on a site describing Dayz..

"DayZ, the post-apocalyptic griefing scenario for douchebags,"

If you're playing DayZ, the ArmA II mod and see a helicopter piloted by two dudes in ghillie suits, stay the fuck away. Do not climb aboard. Because they will then transport you to "Schadenfreude Island," 14 kilometers off shore, where there are no respawn buttons. You'll be stuck there idling until your character finally dies.

I thought the statement fit exactly what I am talking about here.

#3 Sgt.Stahlman

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

Well played Enforcer. I agree. Most of our "bases" are open and friendly, as are we. One bad apple, who was just "playing around", or "having fun" could easily wipe out a base that took literally weeks to build. And are they gonna take the time to rebuild it? This game is frustrating enough when you die, lag, restart, or just glitch. We have mostly figured out how to work around most of them. Adding human beings and their antics to the mix we cannot control or work around will probably just run people off. Who wants to go back to a 3 person server... frankly, not I.

#4 Enforcer

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

This happened again last night. We had a player come into the teamspeak channel with no MG tag, so NOT a Moongamer. The Moonie who WAS familiar with this person gave no introduction as to who he was, where he knows him, what he is like etc. Just popped in and wanted to play. My question was, "Who are you, dude?" So, we pulled the Moonie to another channel to discuss the deal, and frankly, I got less than I had hoped for. The Moonie was less than helpful, provided no insight, gave no real concern about anything and almost acted like I was bothering him by asking such questions.

So, the Moonie said he is a good dude and will vouch for him. Okay, we'll see. I can tell you I am rather uneasy about non Moonies coming into this game with us, as they have nothing to lose by being asses.

#5 Irish_Trunks

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

I share the uneasiness, and not just for being hesitant towards new people. But with this game, resetting stuff hurt by griefs isn't easy at all (if possible). For games like Minecraft, servers can easily just do a rollback and have everything griefed restored to a previous state. Here, being forced to spend the large amount of gold to rebuild certain things would REALLY tick me off.

Maybe there's a way to incorporate a whitelist thing? Instead of just the password, someone would have to be added to a list of approval in order to connect. It's not like there'd have to be some long-winded initiation process, but even having a simple and well-thought introduction by the Moonie and Moonie's friend would get an add to the whitelist so they can show that they are here to enjoy the game and take the community aspect serious enough. :)

#6 LeadPaint

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

As I understand it, the PvE server will be moving to a whitelist shortly. Rollbacks are also plausible, but you encounter issues of someone building somewhere else unaware of the problem. Really though, I don't see any major issues arising, as we have a decent, helpful group of players on the server.

#7 Enforcer

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

So far, so good. Whitelisting will take care of the issue of a griefer, but, to find out that person is not going to play is going to cost someone..something. Ah, not putting too much energy thinking about it..just wanted to bring it up.

I'm going fishing.

#8 gensolo

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:07 PM

My only thing is, what happens if say someones friend they invited starts griefing? What is to stop the Moonie from giving that person the new password if we have to change it or getting them on the whitelist under a different name? I don't want to exclude people especially Moonies, but should they still be allowed to play on the PvE server if they only want to mess things up with their friend?

#9 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

My only thing is, what happens if say someones friend they invited starts griefing? What is to stop the Moonie from giving that person the new password if we have to change it or getting them on the whitelist under a different name? I don't want to exclude people especially Moonies, but should they still be allowed to play on the PvE server if they only want to mess things up with their friend?

I guess they aren't real moonies if they do that.

#10 Enforcer

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

Yep, there will be consequence. The consequence is this:

If you are the Moonie and your friend that you invite in caused the grief, the friend will be banned. There will be no option for the Moonie to retell the password. Or, when the whitelist is up and running, the player will not be whitelisted and will not be able to play on the server. But, no, if their game is to be a griefer, their game will not be on the PvE Moongamers server.

#11 Lin

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Again, this is only for the private server. What happened on the open server last night, while dishonorable, was still within the established guidelines.

#12 Enforcer

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

Yep, the survival server really has no rules other than the basic Moongamers ruleset of respect other players, racism, hacking etc. But, killing a survivor on a server where that is the premise of the game, is allowed. The dishonor stems from the fact that under a condition of truce where Moonies were supposed to be working together as a collective to protect against non Moonies on an open server, one Moonie went renegade and killed another Moonie without provocation while in game.

Which means, for anyone else in that server, I wouldn't trust the rogue player anywhere around me. But that's just me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com