Photo

Installation errors with no apparent cause...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 DarkFall

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:28 AM

OK, I have been running BF 1942 since it came out with nearly no trouble. I upgraded my system to an AMD XP 2800 and an ATI 9600 video card a month or so ago. I also upgraded my ram to 1.5 gigs of 3200 around the same time. Things were going great till about two weeks ago, when I tried to log on to Moon. It came back with a message that my data didn't match the server's. Now,this was odd, since I'de been playing on that server a few hours earlier, and only stopped to watch a movie on my PC, then returned to the server. I reran the 1.6 patch and was able to play. A few days later, I got the message again, and once again, I had been on the server earlier with no problems. Once again, I reran the patch and it fixed it.

Two days ago, I had the problem again, and when I tried to run the patch, it said it was corrupt. So I deleted the patch and downloaded it again. Rebooted the PC and when I tried to install it, got the same message. I assumed(yeah, I know) that the program needed to be reinstalled, so I uninstalled BF 1942 and my 1942 mods, then after rebooting, tried to reinstall the game. Corrupt file messages kept popping up. I decided to do a clean install and deleted EA directory. Big mistake, because now I can't install BF 1942, R2R, SW or Vietnam. I keep getting the corrupt file messages. Any files I DL give me corrupt file messages as well, no matter where I DL them from.

This is obviously a computer problum, as I dug out Far Cry and tried to reinstall it, with the same errors. I have a DVD-Rom, a DVD R/W and a CD-Rom, and it doesn't seem to matter which drive I use as I still get the messages. This is driving me nuts, so I have to get it straightened out soon. Does anyone have any ideas???

#2 King of the Squirrels

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:33 AM

Do You have windows sevice pack 2 installed? I had similiar sounding problems. I had to take it off and all my problems went away.
Captain Squirrel :bop2:

#3 DarkFall

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:30 AM

Do You have windows sevice pack 2 installed? I had similiar sounding problems. I had to take it off and all my problems went away.
Captain Squirrel :bop2:

I uninstalled SP2, cleaned my registry, deleted the files and rebooted. Then I DLed the files and the corrupt file messages still appear. It's really starting to tick me off as this is a recent Windows install and no viruses or adware can be found. I believe the first instance of the problem predated my installing SP2, and I have reinstalled SP2 with no change in the behavior of the error messages...

#4 LeadPoison

Posted 09 September 2004 - 09:33 AM

Do you have a shiteload of files on that HD that you want to save? If not then just format it.

#5 DarkFall

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:02 AM

It's only been a month since I set up the system with the new motherboard and reformat. I need to find the source of this problem or it'll just keep reoccuring as the programs installed on there are the ones I always use... One other odd thing I noticed... Occasionally I get an odd screen lockup that I have to hit control-alt-delete to bring up the task manager and I can click on cancel after I have clicked in the seemingly unresponsive cancel box. This brings the windows back to bright blue instead of the all faded blue with no response. I'm headed to the store to buy a new mouse, as I'm almost sure my troubles started around the time my old mouse was KIA...

#6 LeadPoison

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:23 AM

I still say format it and ask questions later. I am assuming your hd is defragged at least once a week. I am also asumming you dont have any malware/ trojans/virus on there. Sounds like you have something corrupting files when they hit your HD. It could be sp2 it could be almost anything..... More than likely you will have to format anyway. Sorry. If you format and still can't install bf1942 fresh then you have a bum HD.

#7 DarkFall

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

I don't belive the files are actually corrupt. I think that whatever reads them is mistaken, The original patches I had were fine and then they were suddenly corrupted, although they'd been sitting there unmoved for a few weeks. Also, I believe it tells me a different file name each time I try to install. The defrag report shows only 1 fragment on the drive, and it's elsewhere. No virus have been detected...

#8 LeadPoison

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:18 PM

No, I don't think all those different files are corrupted either but I think some OS file or driver is corrupted somehow and its affecting whatever you try to install on the HD. The problem is serious and for that I am sorry but I really don't see any alternative short of formating and reinstalling your OS. I know I sound like a broken record but I think that is the only safe and sure way to solve your problem. Which probably occurred with during sp2 install/uninstall.

#9 Boondock Saint

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:42 PM

Posted Image

#10 Lin

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:38 PM

Boon! Thank heavens you're here, your technical expertise is needed once again!!

#11 Quicksilver

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:04 PM

Had the same problem when i Installed Win2k(Win2000)

Turned out to be sum death Memory.
2 days old....
Bought a new HDD and 1024 of ddr400 mem and i am back in action
Try to remove a memory bank 1 by 1 and check if this happens again..

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com