Photo

Custom Map Test: Catania

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Redshirt

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:54 AM

I like Perculator's post regarding testing some custom maps. I'd like to expand my repertoire of custom maps beyond my usual Tiger/Hobofire/Expire/Anvil selections.

Catania is a medium sized map probably good for medium to large groups. Basic town layout, both allied and axis spawns enter into open plazas. There are plazas on either side of the map, and a winding series of connected buildings/hallways in the center.

When I put up a "do you like vote" it got 89% positive.

My only complaint was that two of the flags would not show who controlled them, it would just display a purple box. It would show when the opposite team was taking it though, by showing the number of enemies there while it was switching. It's a minor issue, and adds a strange element of surprise to the map, but beyond that I think it's a very good map.

#2 Perculator

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

I can't remember which one this is (at work, can't test it just yet). Is this the one with the tank and well two-caps? I remember running through it myself to see how it felt, which is probably why I didn't notice the issue with the two-cap points.

If that's the one, there's another with a very similar layout with all one-caps that should play similarly. I'll add to this tonight if I have a chance to hop on and check my notes real quick.

#3 Perculator

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

I was right and wrong.

Catania is the map I was thinking off. Dissapointing to hear that the two-cap flags didn't quite work right. It seemed like a decent layout for a small to mid sized game.

So far as I can tell, there isn't another one with the same layout. There are two others I was thinking of that were similar, not this one.

#4 Lin

Posted 08 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

I've actually received quite glowing reviews on this the times I've played it. It's not easy and you MUST get to know the map in order to be able to play it halfway decently, but it's definitely worth replaying.

#5 Perculator

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:04 PM

It seemed fairly small, which is a plus for a map that can be difficult to learn. It's not too hard to keep on track when you can't wander too far from the action.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com