Photo

Computer no longer booting-Cause and Fix

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hollywood703

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:44 AM

Had a close call last night.....Cleaned computer case and components off of all the dust.....when placing my video card back in, it seems that I didn't see a group of wires that had originally been on top of my card, was now below it, touching the fans, causing them not to spin at all. When I was playing, it was giving me a bit of artifact, and then shut off. It started right back up and didn't seem to be an issue. This morning when I tried turning it back on, it had no video at all, and couldn't tell if it was booting...all the LED's were on like normal, but didn't hear HD's making any noise. All the fans were going etc. Took it all back apart and that's when I noticed the wires touching the graphics card fans. Had decided that I must have fried my video card. It wasn't all bad, I had decided I was gonna upgrade to a new card soon anyway. So I purchased a new Graphics card locally, put it in and nothing. Still no video and seemingly no post to bios, so now I am thinking great, I fried the motherboard. But one article said it could be the power supply, so ran 3 different tests on the power supply and all passed. So now im almost certain I fried the motherboard. So I pulled all the ram out and 1 by 1 tried all 4 sticks to see if 1 would work....nope nothing...Read another article that said the CMOS battery if bad, in some motherboards, can cause it not to boot. So luckily it is a watch battery that I had. Replaced that and nothing. .....Incidently, when I removed the battery to put the old battery back in, I must have not turned the power back on from my UPS system. This with the battery removed for a few minutes, reset the cmos back to original factory settings, which in turn what was causing the computer not to post. Once this was reset, it booted right up. Only wasted 6 hours to work on it, and the only good news is it didn't really cost me anything to fix. 

Unfortunately the new GTX 970 Graphics card, even though considerably faster, didn't have as good of picture quality as the same settings as my Radeon 7790HD on my AMD system, so it will be returned and credited to my future Radeon card.

#2 Thirteen

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

Cool Story Bro. (No seriously glad it all worked out for you, I hate when there are hardware issues.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com