Photo

WWII Movies and Shows (Anger please read)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hairy Russian Dude

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:23 PM

I didn't want to hijack the "listening to" thread.

Anger, you posted a video from this "Generation War" movie. Could you recommend to me any German made movies or tv shows (with english subs) regarding WWII?

I've seen plenty of films telling the war from America's Hollywood view. I'd love to see how a German film maker views the war.

I'd also like to recommend X Company to you. It is a Canadian made show and doesn't follow the mantra that the Allies were perfect. It shows a human side to some of the SS, that not all Germans were monsters and also shows the Allies did some pretty shitty things themselves.

• dodgem likes this

#2 Colonel Tavington

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

I'll put my two cents in.You might want to check out The Bridge (1959), a German movie about a group of teen soldiers who have to defend a bridge in the final days of the war. Even though it was not a German movie, Decision Before Dawn (1951) takes place inside Germany, also near the end of the war.  Oskar Werner is a POW who agrees to go back into Germany and spy for the Americans.  It shows the Germans as human beings, as does the old TV show Combat! where the German soldiers are not stock villains. 

• Hairy Russian Dude likes this

#3 Hairy Russian Dude

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:50 AM

Thanks Tav, I'll check those out!

#4 Wasabi®

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:23 PM

Das Boot is a classic.

• Rubulator likes this

#5 Highway Man

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:22 AM

The Great Escape is a good movie. Saw it on TCM yesterday,

#6 HARRY TRIGGER

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:34 AM

Hogan's Heros is epic!!!!!!

• Highway Man likes this

#7 Colonel Tavington

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

What time does Hogan's Heroes come on? Nein!

#8 Highway Man

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:27 AM

LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com