Photo

Punkbuster errors!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lin

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:50 AM

As I suspected, PB updated on 6/2/04. This has resulted in a ton of PB errors for our regular players. I did a little research this morning and here is what I found:

Packet Loss Errors:
6/8/04 New fix: When you are getting into the game, change your connection speed settings from modem-56k to a higher setting (lower right hand corner of the screen before you choose and enter a server). This seems to have fixed the problem for two people now.

Otherwise, this may be a problem with your personal firewall. Our server is currently set to the regular game port 14567. Here is the information I have found so far, and I'll keep researching:

Wednesday 06.02.2004 [8:30AM]
Version 1.084 of the PB Client for BF1942 has been released to our PB Master Servers for auto-update and to our website download page.

Release Notes for PB Client v1.084:
includes a new setting called pb_netport that can be used as a workaround for players who get "Disconnected from server" after PB sends Master Query Packets; the default value for this setting is 0 which means PB will continue to use the game's network socket to communicate with PB masters; setting this to a non-zero value (such as 15000) will cause PB to use a separate network socket for Master Query Packets; this setting can be placed into the pbcl.cfg file in the pb folder to configure PB to use this setting each time it initializes; NOTE that players with a firewall or personal security software may need to configure these separately to fully allow traffic on the chosen port.
starting with this version 1.084, the PB Client now requires the game to be run as the administrator user or equivalent under Windows XP/2K (see our FAQ for more info).

Inadequate O/S privileges:
Some have been getting this error...here is what is supposed to be the fix for it.

Why does PunkBuster now require players to run the game as an administrator under WinXP/2K?
Because some cheats/hacks cannot be detected otherwise.

Is there some way to modify my system configuration to be an administrator equivalent from PunkBuster's perspective?
Yes (under Win XP Pro or Win 2K). This can be accomplished by setting certain privileges for the user that will run the game. To do this, first temporarily log in as an Administrator. Then go to Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Local Security Policy. This will open up the Local Security setting window. Expand the Local Policies folder and select User Rights Assignment. This will bring up a list of security settings for the computer. You will need to add the user that will be launching the game to have the following privileges. If the user is logged in while making changes, the user must be logged out and back in for the changes to take effect.

Debug Programs
Load and unload device drivers
Manage auditing and security log
Modify Firmware environment values
Profile Single Process
This is done by double clicking on the setting and then the "Add User or Group" button. You can either type the user or group name into the field or click on advanced to select from a list. If you select advanced, you may need to click on the "Object Types" button and make sure all 3 boxes are checked. Then click "OK". Click on the "Find Now" button to generate a full list of all users and groups on the system. Highlight the user you want to add the rights to and click "OK". Keep clicking "OK" untill you are back at the Local Security Settings window. Repeat this process for the rest of the list. That user will now be able to play on PB servers without getting kicked for "Inadequate O/S Privileges".

#2 bbb

Posted 06 June 2004 - 11:16 AM

these things don't seem to fit my problem.
i wonder if the problems persist will they go back to the old version?

#3 Lin

Posted 06 June 2004 - 05:42 PM

I thought your problem was the first one...packet loss.

Don't know, I need to do some more research and see what I can find.

#4 bbb

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:33 PM

well, now that i think about it. you are partly right lin!
i was first kicked for it, but now i am just kicked for previous kick! :unsure:

#5 Lin

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:21 PM

OK, then let's try something. If that is currently your only problem, your PB GUID may be in our server list. We'll need to capture your CD hash (DO NOT POST YOUR CD KEY) and then I can do a search for it...and when found, your PB GUID should be right there next to your CD hash. I can then see if it's on the PB list.

If you have AIM contact me at LinBF1942...if not, catch me in TS and let's see if we can get you fixed.

#6 bbb

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:33 PM

i don't have aim, but i do have msn, yahoo, and mirc!
i'll have to catch you on TS! :lol:

tomorrow i'll probly check TS now and again for you!

i might add that this was a boring day with no BF... :rolleyes:

#7 Why Two Kay

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:04 PM

Why dsont you play on a non-PB server. I know a few.

#8 kaiserD

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:20 PM

Why dsont you play on a non-PB server. I know a few.

because he wants to play here...which IS a pb server...

#9 bbb

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:38 PM

i'd rather play only moon, with my buddies!
and also, non-pb servers are more likely to have hacking smacktards.

#10 bbb

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:02 PM

punkbusted
this site looks promising!

#11 bbb

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:18 PM

i just saw a fix, am trying it right now! :)

#12 Lin

Posted 08 June 2004 - 03:05 PM

Fixed!

Brad is the second one in a matter of 5 minutes that has told me a fix for the packet loss.

When you are getting into the game, change your connection speed settings from modem-56k to a higher setting (lower right hand corner of the screen before you choose and enter a server). This seems to have fixed the problem for two people now.

#13 Why Two Kay

Posted 08 June 2004 - 05:24 PM

also, if your not having a problem, set the connection speed to the closest to your actual speed. Dont use 56K if your on 1.5 Mbps broadband or vise-versa. It makes it run smoother the closer it is.

#14 bbb

Posted 08 June 2004 - 06:58 PM

i never really noticed that button before now!
i saw that tip on the site i linked a few posts up!
and boy am i glad i did! i was BFless for a few days!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com