Photo

Busted CD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Why Two Kay

Posted 31 July 2004 - 07:23 PM

Well, if this isnt the worst timing. I decided to reinstall Battlefield because I have been having trouble loading some levels and connecting to some servers. So, I uninstall Battlefield 1942 from the Add/Remove control panel. Then I go to install the program. I put in the CD, I enter my CD-Key, it asks me if I want to install GameSpy Arcade, then it begins to copy the BF1942 files. It gets to 1% and then when its trying to copy the EReg files (which are just for registering it, grrrr) it gives me an error that one of the files cant be found. So I take a look at my disk and there is a TINY scratch in a tiny area of the disk. So, I know its just a file that is damaged. Well, that happend to the REGISTRATION ONE!!! And im not able to complete the installation because it exits me there. Well, I dont know what to do! I dont want to buy a new copy of BF1942 because I dont really have the money right now :( . Plus BFTracks tracks by namen and CD-key, so I would be a whole different 2Kills. I could ask them to merge that stats, but that is a whole other question... Anyway, does anybody know if there is a way to fix this, I dont want to go buy somthing cause I'd be better off just buying a new copy. HELP ME! Oh, here is a scanned image of the CD

The scratch is located on the top of the image. Somehwere around here.
Posted Image

Ignore all other scratches/fingerprints, those are from the scanner and image compression. If you want the HQ file see here:

#2 Jack

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:34 AM

Are those red and blue marks I see in the upper right?

You can get disc repair kits at most AV stores. They come with some paste to remove minor scratches and also liquid to clean the rest of the disk. If you brush your teeth, you may have some toothpaste around the house. It is a mild abrasive just like the paste you get in the kit. All you do is put a bit of the paste on the scratch and then use a non-abrasive cloth to rub it into the scratch (center of cd ---- > out). When finished, use a clean non-abrasive cloth (like a lense cloth) to clean the surface. If it doesn't work after the first time do it one or two more times. If that still doesn't work, just use something like a t-shirt and rub the surface of the disc in small, circular fashion. Last resort before buying a new one is to go to a place that removes scratches from CDs and pay them to do it.

Or, just get your cousin to lend you his. "He" seems to be handy with software and he may be able to "hack" the scratch out so you will be able to see "both sides" of the disk.

#3 John the Killer©

Posted 01 August 2004 - 12:56 PM

:withstup:

#4 Why Two Kay

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:06 PM

Or, just get your cousin to lend you his. "He" seems to be handy with software and he may be able to "hack" the scratch out so you will be able to see "both sides" of the disk.

:rofl: Yeah, I think i will just buy a new CD. ITs only about 20 around here. I figured out it was my CD-Rom drive that made the scratche because there was a paper clip stuck inside of it :P Uggg, i dont know who put that there :angelnot:

#5 Enforcer

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:12 PM

Whatever you are doing with a paperclip in the disc drive must be wrong. Paperclips do not go in the disc drive. That and the disc drive shelf is not a cup holder.

#6 John the Killer©

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:22 PM

Perhaps it was unneeded software you installed to help you play better....

#7 Lin

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:32 PM

OK quit picking on him even though he's taking it pretty well...

Hope you find a good solution 2Kills.

#8 Comet

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:06 PM

the old paper clip hack eh.....lol!

Moon ya later!

#9 Lin

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:15 PM

Hey, I've hacked into my CD drawer that way when it was stuck...so I guess that makes me a h4x0r...

#10 Why Two Kay

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:35 PM

Problem Solved!

I managed to copy all of the undamaged files from the CD1 onto the HDD and (thank god) the missing files (registration and support) were also located on disk 2! So, I put my resources together and managed to install and get it back and running! :applaud:

#11 bbb

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:30 AM

i also use the alt+F4+paperclip hack! :lol:

i'd say one of those kits you can buy for like 15 bucks should fix it!
if your burned off the CD, that may also remove problems!(i've done this a few times! B) )

#12 The White Feather

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:34 PM

u no if u asked ea games ( probly the manger of bf just email him) for the file online u could ahve saved a lot of time all u need is the numbers/letters on the back of the case that they ask u for my bfv disk scratched and thats all i did and he siad he is the url to download this file and the next day even thought i downloaded the url he sent me a new disk and i beleive that he is also the manager guy for bf :withstup:

#13 natesroom

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:54 PM

i dont know if i followed all that...

#14 M.A.M.E. Gamer

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:33 PM

If you call the company and tell them that your copy is damaged, they'll send you a new one if you send them the damaged one and like $5 S&H, I think. This happened to a buddy of mine. Me mailed them his faulty disc and $5 and they sent him a fresh one.

#15 Capt. Conair

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:03 PM

so, if you find a bf 1942 disk on the sidewalk, you can mail it to ea and they would give you a working one for $5? that'd be sweet.

#16 LeadPoison

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:16 PM

Note to self-

Self, Don't keep bf cd's on sidewalk anymore. :bangin:

#17 Capt. Conair

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:38 PM

aww, dont do that lead. then how will i get BF Secret weapons?

#18 Lin

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:22 PM

I imagine many who bought it and never play it might give it away... <_<

#19 Capt. Conair

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:45 PM

its really that bad?

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com