Photo

Map Changes and Modding

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#81 Capn Cackler

Posted 06 June 2020 - 12:17 PM

Not sure if this was part of the map, but we were playing Bulge today and I was axis. I knocked out an M10 across the bridge by axis spawn, and me and a second Pz4 rolled across to take the point. As soon as we were across (10 seconds roughly), the same guy was in an M10 and killed us both. 

It may have been because he took the M10 from the southern hill point, but if it was the same M10 from that north outpost I ask that you take a look at the spawn time of it because we had almost no time before being shelled a second time.

#82 Wasabi®

Posted 14 June 2020 - 03:08 PM

Not sure if this was part of the map, but we were playing Bulge today and I was axis. I knocked out an M10 across the bridge by axis spawn, and me and a second Pz4 rolled across to take the point. As soon as we were across (10 seconds roughly), the same guy was in an M10 and killed us both. 

It may have been because he took the M10 from the southern hill point, but if it was the same M10 from that north outpost I ask that you take a look at the spawn time of it because we had almost no time before being shelled a second time.

Spawn time for the tanks has been increased

Today's Changes

Vanilla

Market Garden (CQ):

• Added jeep at Arnhem flag near the ammobox/health shed

Midway (CQ):

• ​PT Boats can now reload torpedoes/mines/gun ammo under the bridge (where they spawn)
  • Faster carrier / battleship respawn time
  • Faster AA respawn time

Iwo Jima (CQ):

• Faster Defgun respawn
  • Faster AA respawn

Battle of the Bulge (CQ):

• Slightly increased spawn times for M10/Tiger
  • Slightly increased spawn times for light tanks

Liberation of Caen (CQ):

• More and faster spawning transport at Allied Main Base

El Alamein (CTF):

• Replaced Artillery at the northeast flag with a Jeep.
  • Turbo jeeps do not one shot kill tanks

Kursk (CTF):

Market Garden (CTF):

• Bridge jeeps spawns reduced.

SW / RTR

Hellendoorn (CQ):

• Removed uncap bases

Mimoyecques (CQ):

• Removed Axis uncap

#83 Wasabi®

Posted 15 June 2020 - 08:52 PM

There was an issue in yesterday’s change to Market CTF and Kursk CTF where the Jeep was no longer able to survive a landing after being catapulted into the air by the turbo.

This has been fixed today.

#84 Wasabi®

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:51 PM

Very quick update today. 

Turbo has been removed from jeeps on Guadalcanal (CQ)

#85 Wasabi®

Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:20 AM

Today's changes:

Gothic Line (CTF):

• AA Guns added at Axis / Allied bases. (1 each for now)
  • 2nd Sturmtiger removed from Axis base

#86 Wasabi®

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:16 AM

Today's Changes:

Midway (CQ):

• Added a 2nd PT boat spawn (and ammo resupply point) north of the Airfield.
  • PT boats respawn faster.
  • Fixed PT boat for Allies not reloading ammo at the Bridge PT boat spawn point.

Kursk (CQ):

• Added fast-spawning jeeps to main bases and 2 mill flags.
  • Added AA to west mill.
  • Planes respawn slightly slower & cannot reload bombs
  • AA respawn slightly faster
  • Added Bots (4 per side)

Iwo Jima (CQ):

• Reduced number of bots to 5 per side.

Wake (CQ):

• Added jeeps near the far away spawn points at the Airfield.
  • Added Bots (5 per side)

• .....Master..... and Stamper like this

#87 Colonel Tavington

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:59 PM

The new rules against base camping are making the action around the flags more intense.  A definite improvement.

• Wasabi®, Rubulator and Stamper like this

#88 Wasabi®

Posted 24 June 2020 - 01:03 AM

Next up will be removing the Axis uncap on Essen and restoring that map to what it really is. 

Also, no grenade reloads on Omaha (+ less nades / exppacks)

#89 Wasabi®

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:22 AM

Today's Changes

Essen (CQ)

Map has been rebuilt, using stock map as the base.

Base Map:

• Axis base is no longer an uncap.
  • Flags restored to their stock locations. The 'V2 complex' flag in between the Allied base and the City has been removed and moved back to the Cafe (which is in the city, near the Axis bridge)
  • Restored Allied para spawn that activates when Allies take the Inn flag (at the city entrance).
  • Mustang replaced by Spitfire.
  • Artificial bridges connecting the city to the open area have been removed.
  • Flag labels fixed. The Market Square flag no longer incorrectly displays "Cafe", and the Inn flag no longer incorrectly displays "Market Square".

Enhancements:

• Axis main gets a Light Tank, APC, and an additional Flakpanzer (Adding to 2 Sturmtigers + 1 Flakpanzer at the main base)
  • Axis main base gets 2 AA guns (carried over from current mod)
  • APC added to the Cafe and Market Square flags 
  • Additional Light Tank added to the Inn flag (Panzer IV for Axis, Sherman for Allies)
  • Allies get a T-95 spawn when they take the Inn flag. Axis do not get this vehicle.
  • The Allied amphibious vehicle is a double spawn (so it spawns 2 amphibious vehicles). Hopefully this makes it not unreasonably hard for Allies to cross the river.
  • Generous amounts of jeeps and motorcycles.

#90 Wasabi®

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:32 AM

Today's Changes (Part 2)

Kursk (CQ):

• Moved AA at the west mill onto the hill so it cannot easily shoot at jeeps coming out from Axis main

Omaha Beach (CQ):

• Grenades and ExpPacks are limited to 2 and cannot be reloaded

#91 Stamper

Posted 28 June 2020 - 04:12 PM

Since the Market Garden/Bocage mods are well-seasoned now, I'd like to offer some...not necessarily 'suggestions' (as the maps are functioning quite well as of recent), but rather 'could we try...?' questions.

1.)  Market - I've been back and forth between flying, tanking and infantry and I enjoy that it is now a challenge to fly, as the planes are now forced to be used only on the flag zones with an AA gun positioned well enough to menace all planes within the main combat zones, which is awesome, and keeps me on my toes when I fly.  I enjoy tanking and infantry and love the Garand secret.  What if: ammo boxes were added to the corner building along the road (twin to the one people hide in at the steel bridge) that has the barbed wire at the entrance, in addition to fixed machine gun placements there and most other buildings that are capable of being entered, particularly bombed buildings, rubble piles, etc?  If you can even add sandbags near the little shed near the parachute dropzone with a machinegun there, that'd be quite interesting.  There are many ways this could be turned into Berlin/Stalingrad infantry melting pot within the Arnhem flag limits, plus, more machine gun placements would continue to equalize the play between air/ground - the amount of tanks currently would help counter the machine gun mods.   Simply put: These are just suggestions/ideas to only 'add' to what is already there to afford even more options to all kinds of players, and have a variety of dynamics in the gameplay within those options.   I enjoy the mods as they stand, but one can dream for all out Arnhem combat similar to the old  MoH Frontline "Arnhem Knights" mission, can't he? :)

2.) Bocage - I've had similar enjoyable experiments of gameplay with Bocage as well between sniping, infantry, tank and planes since the mods went in.  What if Part 1:  Garand/Type 5 easter eggs, Additional M10 to Allies, but Axis also get a Ju88.  A Wespe/Priest addition as well would make things interesting, but there is probably a reason why they're not there currently.  Add AA at windmill, keep machine guns.  If possible, add a machine gun at each AA flag on sandbags (keep the one in the barn on the axis side AA flag), and also add some around the sawmill flag.  What if Part 2: I saw you moved flags in Essen.  Can you add flags in Bocage?  It's wishful thinking, but I understand it unfortunately could also turn into a case of runaway baseattack with extra vehicles despite current rules, but what about the barn with a jeep far east of the church, across the river and fields?  There is a second house or barn way at the top of the map as well.  Putting flags here would have pros and cons, I'm sure, but ideas could range from one of them spawning extra planes or tanks, forcing open field tank matches similar to Kursk but without the dark/hard to see landscaping, in addition to using more than just the center of map for different types of combat.  A potential risk would be overstacking the skies or tanks for the team possessing the flags, in addition, players pounding either Allied or Axis mains, or, you'd run into problems like Gazala where there are so many options for gameplay but too few people.  That said, it would spread out a map that is large enough to handle it but still easy enough to access everything.  

These are just some thoughts I had.  I live a very straight "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lifestyle but sometimes curiosity leads me to be experimental, and I'm very interested in modding and am particularly thankful for the open door input invitation this server currently has for all players.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.  

Shout out to Wasabi for his hard work on making this an accessible/enjoyable server on an otherwise older, but still fun, game!  

#92 Wasabi®

Posted 29 June 2020 - 12:29 PM

Market: static objects like sandbags / ammo boxes are a no-go as they are invisible on the client side. MGs, maybe. They can get pretty annoying for infantry players.

Bocage: Yes to easter eggs pickup packs, I have not really had time to add them. The map still needs a few more jeeps also. 

We can't add flags serverside (you can only move them, which is what was done in the old Essen mod which I have now restored to stock) so that's a no-go. No plans to add more tanks/planes, it's bad enough already. There was talk of replacing the sawmill Katyusha with a Wespe / Priest (I think that's in the stock map), that may or may not happen. AA at windmill is a thought but probably unnecessary, there being 3 flak guns in the vicinity already. 

• Stamper likes this

#93 Capn Cackler

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:05 PM

Market: static objects like sandbags / ammo boxes are a no-go as they are invisible on the client side. MGs, maybe. They can get pretty annoying for infantry players.

Bocage: Yes to easter eggs pickup packs, I have not really had time to add them. The map still needs a few more jeeps also. 

We can't add flags serverside (you can only move them, which is what was done in the old Essen mod which I have now restored to stock) so that's a no-go. No plans to add more tanks/planes, it's bad enough already. There was talk of replacing the sawmill Katyusha with a Wespe / Priest (I think that's in the stock map), that may or may not happen. AA at windmill is a thought but probably unnecessary, there being 3 flak guns in the vicinity already. 

I think it would be interesting to put the stock artillery back at the sawmill, but I think having a 4th flak gun in the mid area would be a bit frustrating for both pilots, and tanks that like to maneuver around the windmill (mostly due to wacky physics between aa and vehicles)

• Stamper likes this

#94 Wasabi®

Posted 03 July 2020 - 02:45 PM

Today's Changes:

ALL Maps: Stupider bots (hopefully)

Berlin (CQ):

• Moved one of the Allied main spawns forward to avoid Allied getting bottlenecked in their base

Berlin (CTF):

• Added some jeeps at the end of the Axis main road
  • Moved 3 of the Allied spawns forward to avoid Allied getting bottlenecked in their base

Bocage (CQ):

• Fix B-17 not blowing up after being unmanned.

Omaha Beach (CQ):

• Restored the bots
  • Faster jeep spawns / double spawn.

• Stamper likes this

#95 Wasabi®

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:39 AM

I asked several players and indeed the bots are much less accurate / less likely to insta-headshot you now

Today's Changes

El Alamein (CTF)
  • Each side now gets 4 fighter planes of varying types: Spitfire, Bf109, Zero, and Corsair.
  • Planes respawn faster.
  • AA Guns respawn faster.
  • 3rd AA gun added to both Allied/Axis mains.
  • Jeeps double spawn
  • More jeep spawns in mains
Liberation of Caen (CQ)
  • Fixed fast ticket bleed when Axis gets capped out, even when Axis players are still alive
  • As a side effect, Axis no longer gets a para spawn when they take South River. This was the only way to fix the bleed problem.
Stalingrad (CQ)
  • Fix slow flag cap times (they were set to double of stock)
Tobruk (CQ):
  • Added bots (5 per side)
  • Added a couple of jeeps on Allied side
  • Reverted equipment and spawn locations to stock for the most part
  • Removed the AA guns
  • Pick up zook packs in the Allied main spawn buildings and some of the forward flags.

• Capn Cackler likes this

#96 Wasabi®

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:15 AM

The uncap boundaries on Battleaxe were tightened a bit as there were many complaints.

#97 MidgetWithaSpork

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

The uncap boundaries on Battleaxe were tightened a bit as there were many complaints.

The uncap boundaries on Battleaxe are problematic.  Today I was on axis, in a panzer near the axis first line middle bunker (nearest my axis base).  A spit had attacked my panzer and I finally gunned it down just as it retreated to allied airstrip.  I was auto killed.  Perhaps the round would have turned soon anyway, but this allowed ALittleGirl to grab the panzer and it was all over after that.  I'm sure this can't be the intent of the auto kill zones.  But I do think it is a real problem with turning the server into a safe haven for marshmallows and millennials.  I think you guys are making a mistake taking the no camping thing this far.  I think it would be better to try and implement a cultural change in the server aimed at balancing teams when needed based on skill levels of present players.  It would take some time but may be worthwhile to consider.  I love the Moongamers server and its BF42 community but for the first time in years, this made me consider trying some other servers.  I'm afraid that in being so zealous in your efforts to stop the camping you may be alienating long time players who have supported the server for years just to make a few new players more welcomed...

#98 Wasabi®

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:20 PM

First off, sorry this happened. The uncap boundaries on Baxe have already been tightened but it's a hard map to configure because of its design. This will never be perfect, there will always be a trade off.

Battleaxe already has exception logic in that you are allowed to air bomb tanks / artillery in their uncaps due to the ease of camping from the base. The only reason a tank cannot kill a plane in uncap on this map is to prevent airfield camping. It's very difficult for the program to tell, whether you were outside the airfield killing planes on takeoff, or if you were scoring a legitimate kill (like in this case)

I will see what I can do. Perhaps tanks should be allowed to kill enemy planes which are already airborne, even inside the uncap zone (for example, a plane that attacked a tank, got damaged, and retreated above the airfield would be fair game). Perhaps the air strip should be a bit tighter. Even then you may still run into things like this. 

Now on to your 2nd point. 

We tried cultural change for years. It didn't work. People didn't care, and most players just play the cheapest way possible to achieve the maximum kills possible. Basecampers and score-whore pilots drove the server to shit and many players left. There is a reason we were ranked 8th on Gametracker not long ago and now we are 5th just over a month after disallowing tank/plane camping. We encouraged (and continue to) evening the teams by balancing skill. I will end a round early if I see a stacked team and people don't cooperate - I see it as a form of punishment for playing cheap. 

As for other servers, likely none of them would have allowed the scenario you described (regardless of whether they have autokill, or not). We were the last server to allow base attack. Personally, I prefer 'hardcore' (no basecamping rules whatsoever) but the reality is that the majority of players are used to no uncap attack PERIOD (including infantry, mining, stealing, sniping). This is enforced even more strictly on Ax, Simple and TGE. The bot autokills and we kick for repeated offenses, that's as far as we have had to go so far. In the 45 days since we have disallowed tank/plane camping, we have yet to ban a single player for it. We still have the most lax base attack rule of all servers, and that likely will remain the case.

See you on the Battlefield

Wasabi

• dodgem, birney, Captain John H. Miller and 2 others like this

#99 NightHawk

Posted 23 July 2020 - 05:43 PM

Awesome Wasabi! Thanks for all the hard work!

#100 Wasabi®

Posted 03 August 2020 - 12:54 AM

Sorry it's been a bit quiet on this front. Between setting up the Playground server and upgrading MoonBot, it's been busy. 

Currently working on Gazala CTF with turbojeeps - once done it should be a nice "alternative" to El Alamein CTF.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com