Photo

TAKING THE FUN OUT OF THE GAME

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

#21 gregefc

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:16 PM

Guess I'm just the kinda person that doesn't mind getting killed over and over. If these 'pilots' are camping me that hard, ill hop on any AA and try to shoot them down. I'll get in an MG. I'll zook them. IDC if I die. I just know once I get a plane ill do it right back to them, even if its the next map.
  • Captain John H. Miller and Steve2112 like this

#22 Angerfist

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

That witch hunt against one person must stop.

About 50 % of the players will camp the shit out of main as soon as they can. On a less professional level of cause.

But I it is not much of a difference for me if it's one pilot with a 100 : 0 score or 3 guys with nades or expacks or a stolen tank.

This is just cancerous for the game itself. I know a lot of people who stopped playing because of shit like that. Or simply don't play at our server anymore. And I'm pretty close to join them.

Same "players" who can't stop running their mouth about tank sissies and plane fairies are the first ones who will use every equipment constantly in the cheapest way to camp the enemy main. As soon as they can. No matter if 4 vs 4, no matter if the own team has all flags or zero flags. Same kind of people will be the first to yell BS or hack ("I play this since 10 years, this is impossible"). And, they stay bad because of their poor way of playing.

And you guys wonder why the pop is so low. Or wait, you probably won't as long there is one guy you can nade in the enemy main.

Kinda ironic that I rarely see the topic starter somewhere else than in my main or on the way to my main. Of course it takes his fun away if he is the one who is getting camped.

• Captain John H. Miller, -=TheTroopeR=-, beerby and 2 others like this

#23 Bot

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:53 PM

Just wanted to pop by this topic again to say thanks to RapidFire for the round on Battleaxe that we just played. After one side had been camped in their main for the whole round, Rapid stepped in and warned people to lay off the base attack or be kicked. That allowed the camped side to break out, and provided for a very entertaining back and forth game, which is something which rarely happens on battleaxe. Just a warning was enough, and no one actually had to be kicked. I hope Rapid's actions are indicative on a new attitude among admins/ new policy on camping, and just wanted to say that is was greatly appreciated!

• Rapid Fire, Angerfist, Pitcher and 2 others like this

#24 Rapid Fire

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

Just wanted to pop by this topic again to say thanks to RapidFire for the round on Battleaxe that we just played. After one side had been camped in their main for the whole round, Rapid stepped in and warned people to lay off the base attack or be kicked. That allowed the camped side to break out, and provided for a very entertaining back and forth game, which is something which rarely happens on battleaxe. Just a warning was enough, and no one actually had to be kicked. I hope Rapid's actions are indicative on a new attitude among admins/ new policy on camping, and just wanted to say that is was greatly appreciated!

I do what I can!

I hate it when teams are camped in, it drives people away. I am not speaking for moon on this. But I will do what I feel is necessary for all to have fun, not a select few.

• -=TheTroopeR=- and Steve2112 like this

#25 Dr. Detroit

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

Wow, I didn't think this would spark up so much input.   So far it is good banter.

I want to make this clear again, I am NOT calling anyone out.  

To answer a few points, - after ten years of playing, I still suck at this game.    I accept being a mediocre player - but I am here for the fun not to aspire to be a video game expert.

To Angelito and /-/-/-/-/  all respects are given and in no way am I trying to disparage either of you.

My original rant was how merciless their expert flying is - nothing more.  

Base camping - I find that a challenge when my base is being over run to fight it out and get a flag.   I also kinda like whacking  Sgt Punky  when he is base raping.   

Keep the base camping is my view.  Perhaps not a popular one but just the same..........

With that said - ladies and gentlemen - have fun !!!!

#26 Hornet

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:47 PM

This thread was a good read. 

Honestly, it's rare to play a round of '42 without some form of basecamping these days.  I hate every minute of it.  I hate being on the distributing end as much as the receiving end of it.  Killing an opposing player when they don't even have a chance to fight back gets you an extra kill for the stat sheet, but it doesn't make you a good player.  In my opinion, good players should welcome a challenge from an opponent, whether that be through knife, tank, plane, or gun.  Every single player can look back and find a time when they were terrible at this game.  Every single one of them have had their days when they were slaughtered by better players.  That's how the good players got to the skill level they're at now.  Through failure, improvement, practice, and time.

There have always been players who look to pad their stats through the easiest kills possible, and I mean through grenades, spawn camping, tank camping, runway strafing, or even pixeling spawn points with artillery. Sure, the players responsible typically end up with some of the best stats in the round, but who cares.  They took the easiest road possible to make it there.  That doesn't earn them any extra respect in my book.  If you're a player watching these players do this and are thinking about copying their methods, don't.  

If you're a player who frequently does poorly stat-wise during a round, look around.  There are still good players roaming around it this game that aren't only looking for the cheap kills.  Fight them at their own game.  Will you lose against them?  Very frequently, but in trying to beat them you'll find that your own skills improve much faster.  Getting into gunfights in open terrain will get you better at infantry.  Getting into dogfights with good pilots that aren't runway strafing will get you better at flying. Watch how they play and learn from it.  

Now, if you're a player who's been around a long time, and have a good amount of skill in this game, just remember that this is a game.  Everyone is trying to have fun in this game, and it's OK to lose once in a while.  If that means letting players win once in a while, so be it.  Try to teach them a thing or two.  Obviously this doesn't necessarily apply when critical flags are on the line, but I hope that you get my point.  I've seen a good number of highly-skilled infantry obliterate lesser skilled players.  Do you know what that causes?  Obliterating the weaker players causes them to just target the stronger players with grenades, which I'm sure everyone knows is a big problem on the server.  Pilots obliterating lesser-skilled pilots only cause those opposing pilots to runway strafe since they know they don't stand a chance in a dogfight.  

A wise player once told me that a pilot who strafes runways is a pilot who is afraid of competition in the air.

Just my $0.02.

P.S. - It's a game, have fun.  You don't always have to go for score.  Try to run people over with jeeps.  Try to get as many knife kills as possible.  Use nothing but z00ks.  As long as you're having fun, and not preventing others from having fun, it doesn't matter what you do or how you play.

• birney, -=TheTroopeR=-, Grinch and 1 other like this

#27 Renlist

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:02 AM

There are players that are incredibly good at this game.   Those who become really good tend to be on the same team.  I call it  covert team stacking.   There are two players Angelito and /-/-/-/-/-/  .  Both are very good pilots.  Always seem to be on the same team.   It gets to the point where you are paralyzed and cannot move without getting bombed by one or the other.   They are simply taking the fun out of a game. 

As far as pilot play that ruins a match, that kind of scene usually goes on when there's way less people playing. If it gets that bad, I quit and play when the server gets at least 16 per side. I've played when it was 10 vs. 10 and pilots ruled a map and sorta ruined the fun, for that match. It happens. Singling out particular players for expulsion on your grounds isn't likely to happen, thank goodness.  Petitioning admins to enforce gameplay ethics on players is unrealistic, when you consider the big picture, which they do and you don't.

#28 Steve2112

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

Guess I'm just the kinda person that doesn't mind getting killed over and over. If these 'pilots' are camping me that hard, ill hop on any AA and try to shoot them down. I'll get in an MG. I'll zook them. IDC if I die. I just know once I get a plane ill do it right back to them, even if its the next map.

You know...I've had pretty serious problems with this in the past. What's the fun in having the "experts" take you out at every turn? That's right...no fun.   There are days where it still bothers me and some of the events unfathomable. On these days....I will just log out for a bit and go play guitar or something.

If I die I respawn. Lin doesn't charge me every time I die, right? I am not playing for peace in Brussels. It's just not that big of a deal. And while I'd like to join the elite players, I've hit the wall, either through hardware problems or wetware issues. Respawn and get them. There's sport in taking down an elite even just once!

• Grinch likes this

#29 Steve2112

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

Get good and kill them.

That is fine greg. And as I said...even if I kill an Elite only once...that's awesome in my book!

However...I do think there's some...advantages in hardware and ISP that allows some players more..."expertise". I'm no internet tech expert...so...I could be wrong. But some of the game play and videos I have observed seem more than just game play adeptness. It's something you just accept or move on. I've learned getting upset about such a nebulous prospect gets you in deep doodoo!

#30 Lin

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:34 AM

I'm no internet tech expert...so...I could be wrong.

Yes you are, except you really don't accept that fact.

Back in the day when this game was being regularly patched, there were certain players I would watch closely when they came in within the first 12 hours of the patch, before the hackers could update their warez. Those players, who regularly scored very well, continued to score very well. In other words, they were playing with skill and not hacks. There is more to the game than shooting straight. There is an innate sense of how and when to shoot, different styles of shooting, and playing enough hours while studying the game to learn the hitboxes. These are things you will never learn because it's easier to throw shade on legitimately good players than it is to learn the skills needed to play this game well.

• Angerfist likes this

#31 Jubilee

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

It's something you just accept or move on. I've learned getting upset about such a nebulous prospect gets you in deep doodoo!

But you don't move on. You insist on harassing players when you think no one is watching. 

Back to the the main subject, I think current admins are making a great effort to encourage fairer game play in terms of stacking and main base camping. So kudos on their part. But they can't micromanage everything, and there are some pub-goers who don't share the same altruistic point of view. That's where regs and general pop can come in handy: positive reinforcement for fair game play. A pat on the back goes a long way.

#32 Steve2112

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

It's something you just accept or move on. I've learned getting upset about such a nebulous prospect gets you in deep doodoo!

But you don't move on. You insist on harassing players when you think no one is watching. 

Back to the the main subject, I think current admins are making a great effort to encourage fairer game play in terms of stacking and main base camping. So kudos on their part. But they can't micromanage everything, and there are some pub-goers who don't share the same altruistic point of view. That's where regs and general pop can come in handy: positive reinforcement for fair game play. A pat on the back goes a long way.

Jube

I ASSURE you, that I don't do ANYTHING when "I think no one is watching".  I don't, and can't...look at the player list and know EXACTLY who's there before I make my frustration known. What a ridiculous accusation. 

My goal is to become a good fun player. Have I failed that on occasion? Yes ma'am...I have. Have I made VAST improvements? I believe I have whether you agree or not. THE GREAT MAJORITY of time, I'm getting along great with the other players. I play 4-5 times a week...and how much trouble have I caused lately? Not much. 

I've admitted my faults and improved a lot. To no avail I see. 

Edit: I know other people have voiced their frustrations about you and the other Elite players. I would hope that there would be a SMIDGEN of understanding about this. It's not as simple as "just that good". While I believe that's LARGELY true, you ARE very good!...but some understanding about the way Elites can appear on the screen of the internet-challenge SHOULD have a bit of merit and compassion. 

#33 Steve2112

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

Back in the day when this game was being regularly patched, there were certain players I would watch closely when they came in within the first 12 hours of the patch, before the hackers could update their warez. Those players, who regularly scored very well, continued to score very well. In other words, they were playing with skill and not hacks. There is more to the game than shooting straight. There is an innate sense of how and when to shoot, different styles of shooting, and playing enough hours while studying the game to learn the hitboxes. These are things you will never learn because it's easier to throw shade on legitimately good players than it is to learn the skills needed to play this game well.

So...ISP functions have nothing to do with it at all. Okay...I stand corrected then. 

I've been gaming for about 40 years now. My very first online game was Subspace. I might not be a 70 year veteran of BF 42 but I've been around the block quite a bit, and know the subtleties of gaming. BF42, and to some extent, Moon, has provided some quirks I've never *noticed* before. I still think it's not really my gaming talent but hardware and ISP. BUT...I will work on the more detailed aspects rather than be a wrecking ball. PROMISE. 

I've made progress, and I bet most players are okay with my recent activities. Sorry to Jube for my most recent slip. 

• Jubilee and Rubulator like this

#34 Jubilee

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

Jube

I ASSURE you, that I don't do ANYTHING when "I think no one is watching".  I don't, and can't...look at the player list and know EXACTLY who's there before I make my frustration known. What a ridiculous accusation. 

My goal is to become a good fun player. Have I failed that on occasion? Yes ma'am...I have. Have I made VAST improvements? I believe I have whether you agree or not. THE GREAT MAJORITY of time, I'm getting along great with the other players. I play 4-5 times a week...and how much trouble have I caused lately? Not much. 

I've admitted my faults and improved a lot. To no avail I see. 

Edit: I know other people have voiced their frustrations about you and the other Elite players. I would hope that there would be a SMIDGEN of understanding about this. It's not as simple as "just that good". While I believe that's LARGELY true, you ARE very good!...but some understanding about the way Elites can appear on the screen of the internet-challenge SHOULD have a bit of merit and compassion. 

Here's what makes me think it's a personal attack: you only harass when you see me using the name Jubilee. Very rarely do you pick on me when I'm using another name, even though my skill and ability level are the same. So yes, you have improved your ability to just have fun and play... unless I'm using the name Jubilee. Seems kinda discriminatory to me.

I don't care if random players get upset; it sucks to be killed over and over. I get it. No big deal. Say what you must, then move on. Stop dragging it out as far as you can.

• Twilight likes this

#35 HARRY TRIGGER

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:49 PM

This thread was a good read. 

Honestly, it's rare to play a round of '42 without some form of basecamping these days.  I hate every minute of it.  I hate being on the distributing end as much as the receiving end of it.  Killing an opposing player when they don't even have a chance to fight back gets you an extra kill for the stat sheet, but it doesn't make you a good player.  In my opinion, good players should welcome a challenge from an opponent, whether that be through knife, tank, plane, or gun.  Every single player can look back and find a time when they were terrible at this game.  Every single one of them have had their days when they were slaughtered by better players.  That's how the good players got to the skill level they're at now.  Through failure, improvement, practice, and time.

There have always been players who look to pad their stats through the easiest kills possible, and I mean through grenades, spawn camping, tank camping, runway strafing, or even pixeling spawn points with artillery. Sure, the players responsible typically end up with some of the best stats in the round, but who cares.  They took the easiest road possible to make it there.  That doesn't earn them any extra respect in my book.  If you're a player watching these players do this and are thinking about copying their methods, don't.  

If you're a player who frequently does poorly stat-wise during a round, look around.  There are still good players roaming around it this game that aren't only looking for the cheap kills.  Fight them at their own game.  Will you lose against them?  Very frequently, but in trying to beat them you'll find that your own skills improve much faster.  Getting into gunfights in open terrain will get you better at infantry.  Getting into dogfights with good pilots that aren't runway strafing will get you better at flying. Watch how they play and learn from it.  

Now, if you're a player who's been around a long time, and have a good amount of skill in this game, just remember that this is a game.  Everyone is trying to have fun in this game, and it's OK to lose once in a while.  If that means letting players win once in a while, so be it.  Try to teach them a thing or two.  Obviously this doesn't necessarily apply when critical flags are on the line, but I hope that you get my point.  I've seen a good number of highly-skilled infantry obliterate lesser skilled players.  Do you know what that causes?  Obliterating the weaker players causes them to just target the stronger players with grenades, which I'm sure everyone knows is a big problem on the server.  Pilots obliterating lesser-skilled pilots only cause those opposing pilots to runway strafe since they know they don't stand a chance in a dogfight.  

A wise player once told me that a pilot who strafes runways is a pilot who is afraid of competition in the air.

Just my $0.02.

P.S. - It's a game, have fun.  You don't always have to go for score.  Try to run people over with jeeps.  Try to get as many knife kills as possible.  Use nothing but z00ks.  As long as you're having fun, and not preventing others from having fun, it doesn't matter what you do or how you play.

And don't forget, running a jeep into tanks is a fantastic way to spend an evening too.

This thread is a good read. I have played this game since 2003. I could care less about baserape, real good pilots and expert tankers. I really dislike the nades. (The Zook weapon pack should be the only one with nades)

You can bomb me, pack me, snipe me, or just plain gun me down. I will always enjoy the game. I play for pure fun and never to be skilled. This game always makes me laugh.

Hornet put this game pretty much into perspective.

• Zap Rowsdower likes this

#36 Zap Rowsdower

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:48 PM

30 times getting planed makes that one time shooting one down with a tiger,that much more sweet.

ive only done this probably 3 times in all my time here...but boy oh boy does it give you a sense of accomplishment.

• Angerfist and Rubulator like this

#37 Eliminator

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:19 AM

30 times getting planed makes that one time shooting one down with a tiger,that much more sweet.

ive only done this probably 3 times in all my time here...but boy oh boy does it give you a sense of accomplishment.

Yesterday, in Market Garden. I ejected from a Bf109, spun around and zoOked LIFI's Spitfire before he could shoot me down. It was pretty awesome.

• dodgem, Zap Rowsdower, Angerfist and 1 other like this

#38 Angerfist

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:16 PM

Yeah, that moment after the plane goes boom is worth gold :)

#39 Lin

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:18 PM

So...ISP functions have nothing to do with it at all. Okay...I stand corrected then. 

I didn't say that, did I.

#40 Vexador

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:47 PM

/././././././././././ or whatever is a PAIN when in the air, especially in Battleaxe. (giving credit to him/her).  Doctor, Like a lot of the guys said, you gotta develop your skills, come up with a plan and SHOOT THAT PERSON DOWN, either figuratively of literally.  If you need help, join Teamspeak, you will find vets there that can and want to help!

meanwhile I gotta fix my avatar, that crap is old!

Happy Killing!

Vex!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com