Photo

Ways to Help Deal with Server Lag

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CrashMaster

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

Just some thoughts on this issue and some ideas that may help overall. Please feel free to correct or add to this.

One of the topics that comes up on any server is the issue of lag. Often the lag is not always caused by what the player may think is the issue.

For DayzEpoch the lag issue can show up from server side issues, Internet issues, or a player computer issue.

Lets start with player computer issues (quick checklist)

1. Is your computer up to date? Windows updates, Video, Sound drivers.
2. Does your computer have a virus or spyware. Programs like Malwarebytes can check for spyware.
3. Does your computer meet or exceed the requirements for the game? Dayz is more CPU limited than video, but both can cause issues.
4. What is your frame rate? (the debug info will show you this). Low frame rate can cause a lag feel, it can be a result of your computer settings, where you are at on the map, or server issues.
5. Do you have the game settings where they need to be for your system? This will vary a lot depending on how powerful your computer is (lower is not always faster or better in this game.

Internet issues

1. Is the computer hardwired or wireless?
2. If wireless how strong is the connection (lost packets)
3. How high is your ping to the server are you losing packets?
4. Who else is using your connection (streaming or downloading)

Ok this next section is more for admins and things that they check to keep the server running right.

Reason why Dayz Epoch servers lag
1. Bad mission file running
2. Too many missions running
3. Too many objects on the map (buildings cars boats choppers...)
4. Too many players? (if this is an issue below 15 players then need to look at other things)
5. Basic.cfg / SQL database server not configured properly for how the server is setup.

Ok if you made it this far this is just a start of things that can be checked to help with Lag issues.

#2 CrashMaster

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

here is a example of a modded basic.cfg file

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_W=800;
Resolution_H=600;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
MinBandwidth=512000;
MaxBandwidth=75000000;
MaxMsgSend=384;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=1024;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;
MinErrorToSend=0.001;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.0099999998;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;
serverLongitude=-88;
serverLatitude=39;
serverLongitudeAuto=-88;
serverLatitudeAuto=39;
Windowed=0;

#3 Skuttlefoot

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for the information, Crash!

Adding to Computer Issues.

Upgrading my RAM and GPU had only produced minor FPS improvement. Randigar mentioned to me that DayZ, unlike other games, relies heavily on CPU and Hard Drive performance. Well, I had an "OK" CPU but my hard drive was about as cheap as they get. My advice to those who are looking to increase FPS performance, try upgrading to a higher quality hard drive (at least 7200 rpm) or better yet get a SSD which is 10 Times better than traditional hard drives.

Follow Up:
Finally finished upgrading my system. Added a Haswell Intel i5 3.5Mhz CPU --- a ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer gaming motherboard -- Western Digital Black series 1TB 7500RPM 64Mb Hard Drive -- Radeon R9 270X GPU -- 8GB Vengeance Corsair 1600 RAM.... Went from 7 FPS to 42 - 50 FPS

#4 CrashMaster

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

Follow Up: Finally finished upgrading my system. Added a Haswell Intel i5 3.5Mhz CPU --- a ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer gaming motherboard -- Western Digital Black series 1TB 7500RPM 64Mb Hard Drive -- Radeon R9 270X GPU -- 8GB Vengeance Corsair 1600 RAM.... Went from 7 FPS to 42 - 50 FPS

Nice upgrade what did you have for a CPU before?

#5 Kord325

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

If I am not mistaken it was a dual core AMD CPU. It came in a budget PC he bought from ibuypower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com