Photo

Thinking of buying a new computer

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mawa [NOR]

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:12 AM

I've had my current computer for over 8 years now, and I have just kept on upgrading it over the years. But, the quality of the computer has gotten worse in many ways. My powersupply can barely support the computer anymore, the fans are extremely noisy, and it will cost a buttload to actually get it straightened up. So needless to say; I am considering buying a new computer. I've been at dell and forged together a new computer, and I would like for you to voice your input and thoughts on it. Is it good or is it bad?

PROSESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600-prosessor (2,4 GHz, 1066 MHz, 4 MB buffer)
OPERATIVSYSTEM Real Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 - English
MEMORY 4096 MB 667 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4 x 1024]
HARDDRIVE 320 GB (7200 o/min) serial ATA/100 harddisk med16 MB DataBurst™ buffer
VIDEOCARD DOUBLE SLI 256 MB nVidia™ GeForce 8600GTS-grafikkort

It tallies up to around $3.000 dollars with the currency today, but it would be the equivalent of you (an American) paying $1.900.

- Thomas

#2 BlackPr1nce

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

Hey Thomas!

I have the some problems over here. My biggest problem is the videocard. My motherboard doesn't have PCi express. When I look at the specs of your new system I think that you'll fast computer and.. modern.. with all its capabilities... fast ram, fast HD, fast processor. All these things add up, you know. So you'll be in the clear for quit some years an be able to play BF2 with all graphical details set to max! I'm jealous.

Klaas

#3 AnonymousFlash

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:32 AM

Processor- Very good
Operating System- Windows Media Center is 32 bit. 32 bit can't use all of your 4 gigs of RAM. Only around 3 will show up and be used properly. If you want to use 4 gigs you need to get a 64 bit operating system. The only XP that is 64 bit is Windows XP Professional 64 bit edition. All forms of Vista are available in 32 bit or 64 bit.
Memory- Good, but DDR800 is more of the gaming standard these days
Hard Drive- Good
Video Card- Personally, I would just get an 8800gts 640mb rather than the duel 8600's.

#4 Animal Mother

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:42 AM

Hey Mawa,read this link Stormy posted. May,make you think twice about more than 2 gig of ram

http://www.dansdata....askdan00015.htm

I have that same cpu........ overclocking dream.
If the HDD is the Seagate 7200.10. perpendicular recording,its awesome too. (as long as its not a China build)
How big is the PS? I'm thinking it shouldn't be under 600w.
You actually might be better off with ONE video card. Instead of 2 at 256,IMO,one 8800 GTS at 640 just might give you
better performance. Just a thought.
Do you know what brand of memory or mobo they're using?

Personally,I like building my own,I know thats not everyones cup of tea,but at least you have TOTAL control of the end result :D

#5 Animal Mother

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:47 AM

I agree with Flash on the mem too

#6 Mawa [NOR]

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:50 AM

Memory- Good, but DDR800 is more of the gaming standard these days

I could only choose between that one and 2gig of the same brand. So I upgraded it to 4gigs of RAM.

Video Card- Personally, I would just get an 8800gts 640mb rather than the duel 8600's.

These are my choices though, and it will cost more to choose the first alternative:

SIMPLE 768 MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX-videocard
DOUBLE SLI 256 MB nVidia™ GeForce 8600GTS-videocard

Operating System- Windows Media Center is 32 bit. 32 bit can't use all of your 4 gigs of RAM. Only around 3 will show up and be used properly. If you want to use 4 gigs you need to get a 64 bit operating system. The only XP that is 64 bit is Windows XP Professional 64 bit edition. All forms of Vista are available in 32 bit or 64 bit.

This is the part where I am lost. You can choose to build your computer on either a VISTA "platform" or an XP "platform". I have no idea what to choose, so I chose XP. The standard XP version chosen is the Media Center, and it actually costs more to "upgrade" to Windows XP professional, while choosing VISTA doesn't affect the price at all.

How big is the PS? I'm thinking it shouldn't be under 600w.

PS?

#7 Animal Mother

Posted 01 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

PS= power supply

#8 Mawa [NOR]

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:10 AM

PS= power supply

You can not choose which power supply you want, and it does not say anything about it in the final "summary", so my guess would be that they decide which one it is that is needed and include it.

#9 Fuel §

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:37 AM

I have that same cpu........ overclocking dream.

Cant OC Dell's :(

#10 general ramsey

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

i got mine from all pc zone everything the same except on 2gb of ram...it was only about 1200-1300 i forget but thats in US dollers

try em they might ship to you i dunno

#11 pest control

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:47 AM

8800GTX > 8600 GTS in SLI, and thats like 10 times better. if the price is not that much higher, i would go 8800GTX.
if your building this for BF1942, than 8600GTS will work fine. but I doubt you will be able to run the Crysis with 8600 GTS SLI

EDIT: and I would go with Vista for OS, most of XP programs work in it and its the future

#12 Catfish

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:54 AM

RAM:

I am running Vista with 2 gigs of RAM and I have yet to see any game use it all, so like FLash said I would spend less money on memory and more on the video card. Also, you'll be happier with 2GB of DDR800 than with 4GB of DDR667. If Dell isn't giving you the choices you want try looking elsewhere.

Regarding the operating system XP Media center is actually built on top of XP Pro, they just hide most of the features but you can find them if you know where to look (cough Regedit cough). Whether you choose Vista or XP stick with the 32 bit versions, the 64 bit versions are not ready for gaming yet, mostly due to driver availability.

Also, Pest is right, Vista is the future you'll have to upgrade sooner or later to play the latest games.

#13 Stormy{CAN}

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:01 AM

Whether you choose Vista or XP stick with the 32 bit versions, the 64 bit versions are not ready for gaming yet, mostly due to driver availability.

No driver problems here on my 64 bit Vista. Can't speak for ATI, but when Nvidia releases a Vista driver it is in both 32 and 64 bit (and the current 158.45 runs BF2 better than when I was running XP).

#14 Mawa [NOR]

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:38 AM

I went to Dell's site and chose, I don't know what it was, but it was a different alternative, and I came up with this result which is OVER $1000 cheaper!

PROSESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700-prosessor (2,66 GHz, 1066 MHz, 4 MB buffer)
OPERATIVSYSTEM Genuin Windows Vista™ Home Premium - norwegian
MEMORY 2048 MB 667 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2 x 1024]
HARDDIRIVE 320 GB (7200 rpm) seriell ATA-harddisk med 8 MB DataBurst™ buffer
VIDEO CARD 256 MB ATI Radeon® X1300 Pro PCI Express video card

This tallies up to UNDER $2000 with todays currency, and would be the same as an American paying $1100, and I even get a 22" monitor! The processor is has more GHz, it has VISTA, the RAM is the same, only less as suggested here. The only real difference is the video card. So my question is, how is that video card?

#15 UberHaven

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:47 AM

The X1300 is absolute garbage.
You can get an 8800gts 320 OC for $280-ish and you would see outstanding performence
Look for an HDD with 16mb cache as that 8mb cache on a SATA 3.0 port is like putting a Ferrari on a dirt road.
Depending on how much more I would go for DDR2 800
Dell, Gateway, Compaq, all those brands take the lowest bid on ALL motherboards and use them for their machines, thus you can often expect a mobo problem from a Major Brand PC (no offense to anyone who uses them)
Often with the customers I have is the power supply from companies like Dell are normally under watted and way less amperage than needed to run the right video card.

#16 AnonymousFlash

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

I went to Dell's site and chose, I don't know what it was, but it was a different alternative, and I came up with this result which is OVER $1000 cheaper!

PROSESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700-prosessor (2,66 GHz, 1066 MHz, 4 MB buffer)
OPERATIVSYSTEM Genuin Windows Vista™ Home Premium - norwegian
HARDDIRIVE 320 GB (7200 rpm) seriell ATA-harddisk med 8 MB DataBurst™ buffer
VIDEO CARD 256 MB ATI Radeon® X1300 Pro PCI Express video card

This tallies up to UNDER $2000 with todays currency, and would be the same as an American paying $1100, and I even get a 22" monitor! The processor is has more GHz, it has VISTA, the RAM is the same, only less as suggested here. The only real difference is the video card. So my question is, how is that video card?

X1300 is NOT a gaming card...other than that it looks good.

Edit: Beat me to it uberhaven

#17 Paddleball

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:52 AM

Mawa, Mawa.

How about you invest in the best available computer:

Macintosh

Seriously, now with the intel chip, I can do primarily anything Windows does and still keep the superior Macintosh OSX for non gaming related things. And the in game performance (granted you buy the desktop or the tower) is very satisfying.

It is a bit pricey, but Apple has thrown in so much, it's actually a very good value.

The only downside would be having to buy your own copy of XP/Vista to run Boot Camp with.

#18 UberHaven

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

To be perfectly honest, and I hate to say this as I really hate OTHER people building computers for people online, but try these sites:
www.ibuypower.com
www.cyberpowerinc.com

It might be a bit more pricey, and you might not want the pretty case, but you get a lot more customization and the motherboard/PSU selection is wider. The only thing I dislike is how NO site allows you to chose third parties for your video card.

#19 Mawa [NOR]

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:04 PM

I could use other sites, but I dont know them. They are based in the states, I dont know if they will ship it, it will be an extra cost. I think I just will stick to dell. They have offices here. I know what I am in for, and it is easier if something will come up.

Ok, scratch the other one I mentioned. How about this alternative?

PROSESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600-prosessor (2,4 GHz, 1066 MHz, 4 MB buffer) (Core, or Core Viiv? Dont know what to choose)
OPERATIVSYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - norwegian
HARDDRIVE 500 GB seriell ATA RAID 0 stripe [2x250GB 7200 o/min-station with DataBurst™ buffer]
VIDEO CARD SIMPLE 768 MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX-video card

It costs slightly more than the second alternative I posted, but nothing worth mentioning.

#20 UberHaven

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

That's Godlike
With the 8800gtx and the E6600 you can play every game on max for quite sometime.
Those 2x250GB HDD's in RAID-0 make them about the same access speed as a 10k Raptor for a lot more space for a lot cheaper.
You will probably be ok with the DDR2 667 since I guess you won't be over clocking you don't really need the extra mhz's.
Defiantly go with that last choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com