Photo

To Creamzor

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Wasabi®

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:47 AM

Thought's, my budget is very close to Lin's.
Thx! :eyepop:

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL

Lose the 12GB RAM, make it 8GB and get a better case.

Suggestions?
JJ

I have this one and love it. It's so damn quiet I can't even hear my computer unless the graphics card is running max. It runs very cool, too.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129174

#22 Wolf68k

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

What case he uses doesn't really matter. That to me has always been a completely personal thing. Get what you like and don't worry about what other people think of it.
HOWEVER, I would suggest reading reviews from people that have the case and if possible an in-depth pro review to learn about anything that could be a problem for you before you buy.
I spent a lot of time looking at cases before I settled on the Antec Performance One P160W before I got it and I love it, in fact I'll never go back to a case where you unscrew and slide the panel off after using this case.
Reviews is also something I had been able to do before I let my gf pick out her case, which is a freakin nightmare to work with.

You're in luck with the Rosewill Challenger, there are a few in-depth reviews out there
http://lanoc.org/rev...will-challenger
hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FVgL-YqqdY
Follow up to that video using that case hxxp://youtu.be/ReFbvSfKfh8 over all I'd say he doesn't really like it, but then the way he talks about cleaning it I'm not so sure he really knows what he's talking about.
For others https://www.google.c...allenger review

Antec Three Hundred, Nine Hundred, and Eleven Hundred are all good cases as well. I know someone with the Nine Hundred and he really likes it.

#23 Wasabi®

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

What case he uses doesn't really matter. That to me has always been a completely personal thing. Get what you like and don't worry about what other people think of it.
HOWEVER, I would suggest reading reviews from people that have the case and if possible an in-depth pro review to learn about anything that could be a problem for you before you buy.
I spent a lot of time looking at cases before I settled on the Antec Performance One P160W before I got it and I love it, in fact I'll never go back to a case where you unscrew and slide the panel off after using this case.
Reviews is also something I had been able to do before I let my gf pick out her case, which is a freakin nightmare to work with.

You're in luck with the Rosewill Challenger, there are a few in-depth reviews out there
http://lanoc.org/rev...will-challenger
hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FVgL-YqqdY
Follow up to that video using that case hxxp://youtu.be/ReFbvSfKfh8 over all I'd say he doesn't really like it, but then the way he talks about cleaning it I'm not so sure he really knows what he's talking about.
For others https://www.google.c...allenger review

Antec Three Hundred, Nine Hundred, and Eleven Hundred are all good cases as well. I know someone with the Nine Hundred and he really likes it.

Well, to me a good case is one with a lot of space, easy to clean, has front USB ports and is silent. No screwdriver needed is a plus too.

#24 JJ

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...

XFX Double D HD-685X-ZDFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with ...

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Limited Edition 92mm High Performance CPU Cooler for Intel and AMD

$722.00

Thoughts on the changes?
Thx, JJ

#25 Wasabi®

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Ditto on Rosewill. Bad quality.

#26 JJ

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

Wolf is entirely right, your case is almost entirely a matter of preference. That being said, I would never in a million years buy another Rosewill product. I've had 3 Rosewill monitors, two cases and a 550W PSU. Each and every one shit the bed long before their time. NZXT, Thermaltake, Coolermaster, etc. all make great cases and I'd advise going with one of these. I'd get this if I could buy right now:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119160
Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced. This case has seen hundreds of case mods through Coolermaster's own prized tournaments. And it's the best full tower on the market for the price.

wasabi is right, 12GB of ram is really overkill. 8GB is more than enough and go with that if you find ram with a good 8-8-8-23 or 7-7-7-21 timing and a nice cas latency.

WTBass, you are going to chip money in to help Lin get a new computer? I don't exactly understand your post...

JJ, is your budget limited to 700-ish? Any chance you and I could jump in Teamspeak some time to disucss your potential build? I'd like to help out if possible.

Thanks for the input... I'm kind of capped at the 7 bills. I will am going to check your suggestions this evening. I appreciate all the help thus far!

#27 Lin

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

Has to be said...nothing for me please, send any donations in to Moon. :) I'll get the puter some day, just needed to know the price point and have a goal to shoot for.

#28 Wolf68k

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he should go with the Rosewill case or not. From what I see of it, and without looking at it first hand, it's not a horrible case but yes it's not a great case. However when you're on a tight budget you go with what you can.
Yes I'm sure both of those $150+ cases are great, however it'll throw him way way way over budget.

@JJ
Stick with the mobo and CPU you originally had. Like I said before, with gaming 6-cores gets you nothing. And if you really wanted the 6-cores with the 960T and that original mobo you should be able to unlock the 2 locked cores.

#29 WTBass

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

WTBass, you are going to chip money in to help Lin get a new computer? I don't exactly understand your post...

Yes, Lin has done so much for everyone here, if she was getting paid $1/hour for everything she has done, she would be rich! So why not? I'm not rich, hell if anything I'm majorly short with Ms. Mary not working but I would do this for Lin in a heart beat! Plus...I'm sweet on her anyhow! :applaud:

#30 Wasabi®

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

I would happily donate toward Lin's monster gaming machine.

#31 JJ

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX
ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AB-GP 200mm Blue LED Case Fan

XFX Double D HD-685X-ZDFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with ...

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 Limited Edition 92mm High Performance CPU Cooler for Intel and AMD

$708.00

Finishing up... thought's on these changes...
JJ

#32 Lin

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

No no no no please! I will do what I can, when I can and if I can but please don't do that. I'm fine playing DoD and an occasional 1942, and I will be for a long time. Love DoD, it will keep me going just fine!

#33 Ghost Slayer3235

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX
ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 R4-LUS-07AB-GP 200mm Blue LED Case Fan

$708.00

Finishing up... thought's on these changes...
JJ

Can't help but to suggest:

Motherboard -
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128510
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813157281

The motherboard you have selected doesn't have USB 3.0 nor Sata III (6GB/s). Granted you may not need these now, but it would make upgrading the computer easier down the line if you plan to do so(and for the same price, why not?). The motherboard I linked is the same price except it has 2 USB 3.0 slots, 6 Sata III, supports twice the ram (pretty useless, but still noteworthy... I think :wasnt-me:)
Also keep in mind the PCI Express 3.0 is out now, although it will be a lil before video cards make the switch (let alone actually be able to use it).

RAM - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820226295
Timings are 8-8-8-24 compared to your 7-7-7-21, but it's also 1600 MHz compared to the G. Skills 1333. Honestly not sure whats faster between the two, not sure if the extra MHz makes up for the slower timings. Would of liked linking Corsair Vengence, but I wouldn't risk it with a huge aftermarket fan like that.

#34 JJ

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

Is AM3 and AM3+ interchangeable, a 3 CPU with a 3+ MoBo?

#35 birney

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

I have no intention of switching to or upgrading my pc to go to bf3. But even IF I was thinking of doing so than given the costs and the specs you guys are talking about my new pc would not only be able to play Bf3 but it had better be able to download the pron itself!!

#36 Ghost Slayer3235

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

Is AM3 and AM3+ interchangeable, a 3 CPU with a 3+ MoBo?

Yes it is. Can check the CPU support list for the MB on Gigabyte, but I know first hand it works (I'm using an Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ with a 955 AM3 Processor)

EDIT: In fact, some AM3 motherboards can actually use AM3+ chips, there is that little of a change between them. (always check the motherboards support list if you go this route to make complete sure though)

Edited by Ghost Slayer3235, 06 January 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#37 Wasabi®

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

IIRC there was a website where you could enter CPU names/motherboards and it would show you compatibility combinations...I forget where. It was not very frequently updated though.

#38 Wolf68k

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

IIRC there was a website where you could enter CPU names/motherboards and it would show you compatibility combinations...I forget where. It was not very frequently updated though.

Yeah it's called; go to the mobo maker's website, find your mobo model, click the link that says 'supported CPUs'

@JJ
For the Gigabyte mobo that Ghost listed, you might have to update the BIOS, but it'll work.
For the ASRock mobo he listed, it'll be fine out of the box.

#39 Rabid_Animal

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Has to be said...nothing for me please, send any donations in to Moon. :) I'll get the puter some day, just needed to know the price point and have a goal to shoot for.

Too bad Lin, My work has already begun building you one awesome machine. :)

Posted Image

Nice to hear about the RN! I'm going for my masters degree this spring.

Rabid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com