Photo

Game laptop is fubar

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 Lin

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:41 PM

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I put in the windows setup, it loads the drivers, then goes to:
Searching for previous versions of Microsoft Windows...

and then the HDD light goes off and it hangs there.

Help! I would rather not fdisk, this has our custom maps on it.

#2 Jack

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:52 PM

Did you try the old F8 trick and the last good config?

#3 Lin

Posted 17 December 2005 - 07:04 PM

I can't get that far. Hell, if I could even get to a command line I could copy over some registry files and get her going without losing data. I don't care if my windows settings need to be redone. Problem is, I can't get past the error message without the setup cd, and I can't get past the step where the setup program searches for older versions.

M$ $uck$.

#4 Hydlide

Posted 17 December 2005 - 07:50 PM

with the good old windows 98 you could make a boot floppy, run scandisk check for errors...

how this is done with windows xp nowadays.. i dunnot know.. heck.. even I get old sometimes :D

#5 Soldaten

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:52 PM

Hello : )

Can you get into the bios ? If so try to change the boot order of the computer to use the cd-rom drive and reload winXP using your CD..

-S

#6 Lin

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:22 PM

Hi Jim!

Been there, done that. I cannot even get to a C: prompt, otherwise I could copy over registry files. I've been thinking for a while now that my HDD is dead...

I have bootable CDs, but the problem is they start looking for a previous version of Windows...and hang. In other words...no command prompt, no reinstall, no recovery, nada.

Last resort...Hartley's dad suggested I make a bootable linux disk. If I can access a command prompt I can make a last attempt to restore the registry files. Let's just say I'm already pricing out a hard drive replacement...one month past the warranty expiration...

#7 Striker

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:14 AM

well, well, well,

welcome to the world of computers...
i've had the same problems with an old gateway of ours... now i dunno if this will work right for you, but you can try it anyway...

try choosing the 'reinstallation of windows' part of the menu instead of the repair section.
when we did this on the new dell, it reinstalled windows mainly by itself, and fixed the error i thought it formated the drive too but it apparently didn't delete any of the other files that were on the hard disk. just the windows system files. it was weird but it worked!!!

now, unless it reformats during the reinstallation (like i thought mine was) your files should still be there!!!

Hope it helps!!!
-striker

P.S.
I hope all my explanations are helpful...and i hope it wasn't linux you meant...

Edited by Striker, 18 December 2005 - 11:14 AM.

#8 Lin

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:42 PM

I have bootable CDs, but the problem is they start looking for a previous version of Windows...and hang. In other words...no command prompt, no reinstall, no recovery, nada.

I've been trying everything I can to GET to the reinstall menu. The problem is, the computer always hangs when searching for previous installations of Windows. If there was any way to skip that step this might work, but so far I haven't been able to. Still working on this...and I am thankful for all comments and hints, because you never know when something just might do the trick...!

#9 Tarawa/Troutzilla

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:00 PM

My knowledge of computers is zilch....nada ...nyet...all this talk is just jibberish to me.

However I do know of one sure-fire way to end the problem..........

Posted Image

#10 Lin

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:11 PM

Thought of that...haven't tried it yet. :P

#11 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:38 PM

I've been trying everything I can to GET to the reinstall menu. The problem is, the computer always hangs when searching for previous installations of Windows. If there was any way to skip that step this might work, but so far I haven't been able to. Still working on this...and I am thankful for all comments and hints, because you never know when something just might do the trick...!

Have you tried searching the MS knowledge base? I'm pretty sure you'll find something there. Sometimes that way you find methods and tools for developers that the general public isn't aware of.

#12 Lin

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:50 PM

Yes, that's why I'm trying so hard to hit a command prompt! :(

#13 DeadlyDon

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:08 PM

You might be able to use Linux to recover your data. I think there are CDROM bootable versions that don't even need to install anything on your hard drive. I think Knopix(sp?) makes one. Since they are Linux they should be free downloads. You could also try Mandrake Linux. It allows you to repartition your hard drive and install on a partition of your choosing. I believe you could then browse your Windows partition with Linux. This is all hypothetical since I've never actually tried it myself...

#14 Lin

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:42 PM

Well, the bootable Knoppix I tried this morning didn't work.

I made an A: drive boot disk. When I tried c: I got:
Invalid drive specification

Damn damn damn!

Replacement HDD from newegg is $144 plus $3 shipping for 3 day turnaround but...is it the HDD? Is it the Mobo?

#15 Hartley

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:53 PM

So the Linux didnt work eh? Oh well...

#16 DeadlyDon

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:01 PM

Does the motherboard support booting from a USB device? You could install Windows on a USB harddrive and then browse the hard drive?

Oh, I'm guessing it's simply a couple of bad sectors on the HDD

Edited by DeadlyDon, 18 December 2005 - 04:05 PM.

#17 Lin

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:11 PM

I have a USB floppy that I used this morning to create a bootable disk from, and it was able to boot in and get an A prompt. From there it went downhill, I SHOULD be able to go to C but it is telling me it's an invalid drive.

I've been considering that, but I don't know how to mark them as bad in order to move on. I DO have a 20gb USB 2.0 drive.

#18 DeadlyDon

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

Umm, Knoppix didn't work? Did it boot ok? It should have put a shortcut on your desktop for your Windows partition.

#19 Lin

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

Here's what happens.

I power up the laptop.
I see the Alienware logo.
Brief black screen, 30 seconds.
Then a message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system
You can attempts to repair this file by starting Windows Setup
using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

It goes no further than that. There is no command prompt, no safe mode, using Setup hangs at "searching for previous versions of Windows" so there is no repair, no reinstall, no recovery.

Making bootable Linux CDs did nothing, they weren't being recognized (weird).
Making bootable A: floppy gave me the A: prompt but when I type in C: I get told that is an invalid drive specification.

That's all I have for right now. My theories:
- bad hdd
- bad sectors on hdd
- mobo connection to hdd fried

I had thought it was just bad software until I saw that C was considered to be an invalid drive.

#20 Oo.Brown.Guy.oO

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:37 PM

Considering it's your gaming laptop, and the fact that you can't even access the c drive, I'm gonna assume that it's most likely a burnt out hard drive. :( BTW what's the make and age of the laptop.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com