Photo

What makes a good 1942 player?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 gregefc

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:24 AM

Curious to see what people think are the qualities of a good 1942 player and some names for examples to go with it.

Is it being good in a tank, ship, plane, or at infantry? Is it having good communication? Is it capping flags? Should someone be considered good if they are a one trick pony but really, really good at what they do? Is it the assault heros who run at you in a straight line and get mad when they die?

Also, what do you think is the key or most pertinent thing for your team to win a round? Is it air power? Ground pounders? I realize this can differ for every map, but in the game overall what do you think the most important thing is?

#2 mexican eskimo

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:08 AM

Good infy.  Followed closely by a great pilot.  

Except for a few maps, infy can have a huge impact.  For the maps where pilots do come into play a good one can be absolutely invaluable to their team.  

As far as what qualities, I think it depends on map and situation.  There are times when it's needed where I can travel across the map to get the spawn in order to put my team in the better position.  Other times I can 'entertain' 6-7 players all looking for me at once, which is 20-25% of the enemy team.  This really allows my team to advance far forward.

A good tanker can have value, but many of the tankers you see on the server are not good, but rather like to sit at chokepoints and camp.  There a few good ones, but generally it takes a few of them to really dominate.

Oklahoma... I'll be there shortly.

#3 -=TheTroopeR=-

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:13 PM

Who capture flags, heal team mates, repair tanks in battle or not, pilot that careless for dogfight and help their team on foot and vehicles answering air support requests, tankers that follow and protect infantary (not just sit and spawn kill) , who alert their team by chat of "jeep to back" "enemy infantry" etc as they alert their team on sneaky enemy, dont flame others in chat, no insults, use chat only for the real deal and some jokes and thats it, dont radio espam, don´t mock or call "noobs" new players, when a new player ask how to do something answer with an accurate instruction, who take mines from his mates tanks path, who call for an dmin when see a disruptive player even if not an issue for himself, who ask not to taxi and follow rules.

For me and ive said it before, who is gentle and well manner with all in server, that is a great player.

#4 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:16 PM

A player that is skilled in the ways of the knife and bayonet.

• -=TheTroopeR=- likes this

#5 gregefc

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:56 PM

I honestly think a good pilot on your team is the most important thing... Of course, if you don't have decent ground pounders it doesn't really matter. But overall, I believe air power to be the most valuable thing when it comes to a teams chances.

I think situational awareness is probably the thing that makes a good player. You need to be able to decide what to do depending on what's going on. Of course, you need to be able to accomplish what you're wanting to do.

I put infantry and tankers on the same level of importance, really. There are still some solid infantry players left, but I struggle to see more than a couple elite tankers... And I use elite very loosely there. The same could be said for pilots.

I get frustrated with the one trick ponies... Always have for some reason. I think the good players are the ones that can do it all at a competent level and there aren't really many of those left. The people that come to mind first that have played in the past 2-3 years would be terminal, ddub, shorty, and mint. The further you go back, the more of them there are. Those are just some names I think people who play on here would recognize easily.

#6 -=TheTroopeR=-

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:20 PM

I honestly think a good pilot on your team is the most important thing... Of course, if you don't have decent ground pounders it doesn't really matter. But overall, I believe air power to be the most valuable thing when it comes to a teams chances.

I think situational awareness is probably the thing that makes a good player. You need to be able to decide what to do depending on what's going on. Of course, you need to be able to accomplish what you're wanting to do.

I put infantry and tankers on the same level of importance, really. There are still some solid infantry players left, but I struggle to see more than a couple elite tankers... And I use elite very loosely there. The same could be said for pilots.

I get frustrated with the one trick ponies... Always have for some reason. I think the good players are the ones that can do it all at a competent level and there aren't really many of those left. The people that come to mind first that have played in the past 2-3 years would be terminal, ddub, shorty, and mint. The further you go back, the more of them there are. Those are just some names I think people who play on here would recognize easily.

yes !! we pilots are the best out there LOL

Is true that we can stop a flag to be captured,  anytime I see one of my team flags became gray y rush there to kill the enemy and then at radio hit the alert to atack that flag and then is re captured by my team, also love to give air cover to grownd forces, "enemy tank spoted" and you can see mini map and my plane atacking that grid !

and etc etc

#7 dodgem

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

Curious to see what people think are the qualities of a good 1942 player and some names for examples to go with it.

Is it being good in a tank, ship, plane, or at infantry? Is it having good communication? Is it capping flags? Should someone be considered good if they are a one trick pony but really, really good at what they do? Is it the assault heros who run at you in a straight line and get mad when they die?

Also, what do you think is the key or most pertinent thing for your team to win a round? Is it air power? Ground pounders? I realize this can differ for every map, but in the game overall what do you think the most important thing is?

Anyone who doesn't cheap-pack.

Anyone who, as a zooker, tries to shoot/pistol/knife a sniper rather than throw three nades at them....and vice versa (You are equally disadvantaged in your kit choice!)

Anyone who helps to seed the server (stays out of armour, adapts to the average skill level of the current players, gives tips to newbs).

Anyone who avoids spawn raping.

Anyone who switches to the losing team to help them out on occasion.

Anyone who PUSHES FORWARD with tanks to help their team gain ground when pinned to their uncap.

All good in my book.

But I agree with M.Esk - Infantry is the most important thing.....five or six good medics on your side and, in general, your team should be winning.  After that, having a good pilot on your team helps immensely.

Communication is also key.  Calling out armour and jeeps, telling team-mates when an enemy is heading towards a particular base so they can prepare, being on Teamspeak together and holding a base no matter what.  All helps.

• Joker (Aut), Angerfist and Rubulator like this

#8 Rubulator

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

I'm on board with the infantry thought. A good pilot can render tanks useless. But if you have some good flag pounding infy you have a good shot of evading that problem on most maps. And pilots don't cap flags.

My best answer to the question is. Any player that plays with winning the game in mind, ie FLAGS FLAGS FLAGS... are the best players. My personal opinion is when you play a multiplayer game you should make yourself aware of the rules. Aware of the objective. And play to help your team obtain that objective. Otherwise you should be playing single player games...

#9 PedroBF

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

It's a difficult thing to answer in my opinion. I think that a player should be smart, play with caution.

One skill that makes a player a good one is to know how to use the map. The map is one of the most important thing in the game and rarely no-one use it. You can guess where the enemy soldiers are by looking where do you lose the flags, where do your team mates die, is someone takes a vehicle or MG, when a plane is in DG, etc.

The second most important thing is using the camera. Use the cameras all the time (unless with inf 'cause it's impossible), you can see if you have someone behind you, in front of you, etc.

These two thing followed by a basic skill on any mode (inf, tanks, planes, ships, etc) make a good player. They saved me a lot of times.

Hope that these tips are useful.

• Joker (Aut) and -=TheTroopeR=- like this

#10 Renlist

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:22 AM

A good player should be...trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

Oh wait...that makes a good boy scout, sorry.

#11 Hornet

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

I've always maintained the belief that a good 1942 player is one who combines a skillset with strong situational awareness that helps a team proceed to victory.  It doesn't matter if you're an infantry player, a pilot, or a tanker, you're just as bad as the new players if you have skills in one or more of those areas and choose to spawn rape rather than actually help teammates and go for flags.

The best kind of infantry is one who can win gun fights, yet avoids them when behind enemy lines looking to capture flags.

The best kind of pilot is one who can win dog fights, but is willing to forego engaging in one to kill a tank capturing a friendly flag.  Depending on the opposing pilot, it may be wiser to take care of that threat if you have the advantage, but that goes back to situational awareness.

The best kind of tanker is not the one spamming shells into a spawn point, but the one either going for the flags, or providing support for the infantry.

These days you see very few of these kind of players.  Some of them choose to play like everyone else because it's a pub server, and so wins/losses are viewed as completely meaningless as long as you're having fun playing.

• Rubulator likes this

#12 PedroBF

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:46 PM

That's true and I must say that sometimes it is difficult to give support to my team because I do not have covering fire. Many times I got in the middle of enemy fire (in tank, planes, inf, etc) but sometimes I sacrife for the team :P  

#13 Horace Greeley

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:19 PM

Snipers rule, my friend

Old people make good BF42 players. I just turned 66 and I love whooping you young 50-year-old punks!  Horace Greeley.

• -=TheTroopeR=- and Rubulator like this

#14 Renlist

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:25 AM

Snipers have their usefulness, such as digging latrines.  To all snipers...aren't you grateful that others uncap and cap flags and have a spine?  Reply..."yes, I am grateful of that". 

#15 PedroBF

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:22 AM

I wish to still play BF1942 at my 60s.

#16 no guts no glory

Posted 06 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

picking on players with pings above 200 hunting them the whole game

• Angerfist and PedroBF like this

#17 -=TheTroopeR=-

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:31 AM

Snipers rule, my friendOld people make good BF42 players. I just turned 66 and I love whooping you young 50-year-old punks!  Horace Greeley.

LOL Is true as you are one of the oldest nicks I remember in this game :)

#18 Angerfist

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

<3 <3 <3

Good ol' No Guts, showing no mercy. Stay hardcore my friend :) 

• no guts no glory likes this

#19 Grinch

Posted 06 June 2015 - 10:31 PM

Choosing to do whatever it takes to disrupt the other teams strong points as much as possible, and if that not possible, rendering the next strongest to be either extremely busy, or worried about you , so that your team can somehow recover and take the flags.

#20 PedroBF

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:10 AM

We will have a little talk in the server "no guts no glory" hahahahaha. You're my number 1 nemesis now. Oh wait.... That's CJ, well... you're number 2 :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com