Photo

Putting in the hours...

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Comet

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:08 AM

Sorry I was late...I was celebrating Ottawa's win in OT!

Great crowd last night.

Any particular reason Avalanche was on for so long? The numbers dropped after playing it for so many rounds, I thought it was on for 40 mins while all other maps were 30 mins.

#22 Hartley

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:21 AM

Sorry I was late...I was celebrating Ottawa's win in OT!

Great crowd last night.

Any particular reason Avalanche was on for so long? The numbers dropped after playing it for so many rounds, I thought it was on for 40 mins while all other maps were 30 mins.

Noir said no Rails...

We went Avalanche-Kalt-Avalanche

#23 Quetzalcoatl

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:22 AM

Had a blast last night :D

We kept Avalanche up because it was keeping Population up decently, when we switch maps away from it, pop dropped and didn't come back until we came back to Avalanche.

We seem to have the most problem with population dropping when we switch maps, has any thought been put into always doing a vote right before map end, with the option of extending the time, plus 2 or 3 other maps? I've seen it on a few other servers and it seems to work well. Plus people know the map is ending soon due to a time limit since the vote comes up, it isn't so sudden. Just a thought. :)

#24 Comet

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:51 AM

avalanche-kalt-avalanche, that isn't our rotation.

No rails, why not? It has consistently drawn players in and held them! Why bother having a rotation with new maps if we're not going to give it a fair chance.

Avalanche might have held the population but it can only do so for so long. Like I mentioned before the population dropped dramatically after playing it a second time and for so long.

We're not going to go from map to map and consistently keep players, that is unrealistic simply because personal map preference is so diverse.

I agree Quetz, I have no issues with voting, it's fast and simple.

I'm through with map testing, few if any bother to check them out. I'm very disappointed that we cannot stick to something we have agreed on and give it a chance before randomly doing w/e.

#25 Fulcrum

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

yesterday was reallly fun

spaded killerbob twice :D

#26 Catfish

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

Rails is ftw.

Quetz the voting sounds like a good suggestion to me. I know that *I* like our rotation, but I've always liked the ability to vote on the next map when playing other servers.

What about turning on rtv? I think we had discussed it briefly but passed on it for some reason?

#27 Hartley

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:20 PM

Please, no more Kalt...

Rails is probably one of the most popular maps out there.

Heres my theory... ita gonna seem pessimistic...

We have a DOD server. Assuming everyone that plays DOD plays at an average timeframe of 8-12PM thier time, we should have a steady player base up till about midnight PST. Peak time should be about 11-12PM EST. After PST, theres noone to play... the Pacific is there. Were NEVER going to have a consistently full server, Asians play Asian servers and Euros play Euro servers. Ping is king. WSo playing one map all night to keep the population in is stupid tome. We had about 10 people in TS that would have stayed for Rails, plus anyone that already had it. But no, we stayed woth the stereotypical, overplayed stock map, Avalanche just to keep players. We might as well have asome fun, because we are never going to have a 24/7 full server.

In all honesty, if were just going to play stock maps, Im going to spend my time elsewhere.

#28 Why Two Kay

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

Kalt sucks for pop.
Donner sucks for pop.
Argentan does not hold people between Flash and Avalanche.

Flash --> Avalanche --> Rails [possibly] ---> Argentan [possibly]

That would make a good rotation, possibly switch rails and argentan because people don't want to download customs and we could keep more between Ava and next map.

This is a matter of what draws people into the server, and keeps them coming back. I can name a few people who have returned to the server many many times in the last 2 weeks or so, and they always appear on Flash, Avalanche, or Rails.

That is the key.

Voting would work, if you want the general population to vote for Extend Avalanche: 20 minutes every time. Unless that wasn't an option. But if we were on Avalanche with 32 players and votemapped to Kalt, or some random custom, we would lose 50% of the non-Moon players.

And that doesn't mean RTV voting, that means pre-set lists of maps for voting and pop up near the end of select maps.

#29 Hartley

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:41 PM

Im amazed donner doesnt hold people. Its a very good map. Kalt just sucks though.

#30 Why Two Kay

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:42 PM

Im amazed donner doesnt hold people. Its a very good map. Kalt just sucks though.

It will hold people at 30-40 people populations. Thanks Valve for capping it at 32. It's just too large and spread out to work well enough with 10-20 people really.

#31 Noir

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

I put it on avalanche as I was the 1st one in alone and it set the round time limit to an hour to build pop. we got 6 of us in ts and it start going from there, it hit 10 rounds of avalanche with like 20players and switched to kalt and kalt dropped the pop to like 8, so I typed like 4 times different options though out the night do you guys want to stay here or go there? on kalt I asked if they wanted to say longer but no replys, I put it back to avalanche and It rebuilt up again up to like 28 was our max. I csay typed do you guys want to go to rails the only responce I got was one no, and nothing else, so I lelf it on ava. The population held to about 2:00am then the 10round limit went and made 1/2 the people leave. and it dwindled down to and to dead at like 2:30ish. Which is good, our rotation can't hold that large of a pop that late, I mean donner kills it, so did kalt last night. And I like kalt a lot but If they people respond by leaving then I'll go with what the people want. I understand what you mean by keeping it consistant to allow people to see how we run the rotation so they gain the expections of it, but it's not working like last night, a saturday usually an off night for dod and we got it up so something worked last night. And we got some good quality players in that shindlers' pissed guy, red sunset, bad monkey, neix, and like a bunch of others, we enjoyed our server were very friendly and I and mike and others encourged them to come on ts and the forums and to come back. I gonna leave this here, I have more to say, and many suggestions to make, but public forums are the place for them.

#32 Comet

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:28 PM

So I guess we just wing it sometimes, ok...thanks for the explanation.

#33 Enforcer

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:29 PM

I think another important aspect of any map, given our current situation is this: whatever maps we choose, they should be decent maps for a two vs two game. That way, if there is only a few people in, they can still have a decent amount of fun with just the four of them, as I have done on a number of occasions.

#34 Why Two Kay

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:55 PM

I think another important aspect of any map, given our current situation is this: whatever maps we choose, they should be decent maps for a two vs two game. That way, if there is only a few people in, they can still have a decent amount of fun with just the four of them, as I have done on a number of occasions.

Very true, this is where Donner and Kalt suffer.

#35 WTBass

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:27 PM

Everyone has good points. I was in with Noir the other night and she did try to get input from the players but like she said...no response. I think it might shock some players to think an admin will do that! You did good Jamie...it was a blast. Thanks!

I'd like to see rails in there...we need the basics to seed...and why don't we just throw in a different map when we can (map availiable and a willing admin) and see what it does! The maps Dan has suggested all look great. Let's put one in one night...admin clearly warn the pop, and just freakin do it! Everyone knows how a baby learns to walk...it falls on its face a few times and finally figures it out! I think we are gonna get there!

I gotta quit typing and get in the server! :)

p.s. dod_omaha_v32

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com