Beginners Guide for DODS / Tips & Tricks

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 duff

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

-

#2 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:24 AM

If you see 3 enemies always kill duff first.

If you know 3 enemies are close around the corner, cock your grenade and run to them and suicide bomb.

As duff said at nr. 7 ALWAYS try to save your teammies, but if you are with 2 others on a double capture flag and the nade rolls towards duff, let him blow up.

If you see Johnny Knuppel, noob him. It makes him very very annoyed and it is darn funny.

When playing as a sniper class try and save your teammates by killing MG's and other snipers.

When playing as a MG class and there is smoke, fire through it with salvo's.

When playing with a zook, always kill Redshirt before he kills you with his zook.

When a double capture flag is about to be captured by the enemy and your in a building, just suicide jump on the flag.

When you kill duff, always beat his corpse.

Try and ambush the enemy.

#3 Kerfuffle

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

If you see 3 enemies always kill duff first.

If you know 3 enemies are close around the corner, cock your grenade and run to them and suicide bomb.

As duff said at nr. 7 ALWAYS try to save your teammies, but if you are with 2 others on a double capture flag and the nade rolls towards duff, let him blow up.

If you see Johnny Knuppel, noob him. It makes him very very annoyed and it is darn funny.

When playing as a sniper class try and save your teammates by killing MG's and other snipers.

When playing as a MG class and there is smoke, fire through it with salvo's.

When playing with a zook, always kill Redshirt before he kills you with his zook.

When a double capture flag is about to be captured by the enemy and your in a building, just suicide jump on the flag.

When you kill duff, always beat his corpse.

Try and ambush the enemy.

ROFL, sage advice indeed!

Rule # 8 Always use a meat shield. Never utter the words "follow me" or "I'll go first".

Rule #9 Never tell your teammate there is more than one person around the corner. Otherwise they won't go. See Rule No. 8.

Rule # 10 Suspend reality. Snipers would never dance with their rifle to get a shot. it's absurd. But the game allows just such chicanery.

Rule #11 If Redshirt has a zook, then make sure you paid your insurance premium.

Rule #12 If you are an MG player, be sure not to piss off your teammates. There is nothing worse than no response to calls for more ammo for the voracious MG.

Rule # 13 When you kill CJHM, always search his corpse for cookies. They are there, just well hidden.

#4 dj_spleen

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:52 AM

Since I seem to enjoy nades the most, this will be about nades....

when taking or defending Kalt-Bridge, use support class, throw first grenade on the bridge---They will back away and clump together---as they do this you should be cooking your second nade, put it right in the crowd and get a tripple kill, works for me everytime.

Dont be afraid of your own nade, cook it and die, you will respawn

Nades will bounce off walls and around corners

German nade physics are much like a hatchet, they are chucked not thrown.

Allied nade physics are much like baseball, they are thrown, not chucked.(and if u are drunk and playing, think of bowling)
  • Sillyminion likes this

#5 Col.Krust

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

under options:

keyboard advanced: check fast weapon switch
Mouse: check raw input, and deselect mouse acceleration ( see you if you prefer)-more accurate translation of your mouses movements to the game
Multiplayer advanced: deselect autoreload ( reload when you can, switch to another weapon to defend yourself if you must), deselect deployed weapons will redeploy after firing deployed shot ( scope comes down rapidly after firing allowing you to quickly move after firing, no need to quick switch this is faster).

Don't sit on multi-cap flag while waiting to cap it...the enemy will know to plan an ambush. stay close and move in with a team mate to cap as quick as possible.

When 2 of your team mates are already capping the multi-cap, or one is defusing or planting a bomb...move to block any attackers rather than capping/defusing/planting yourself.

Unless you have only one flag remaining do not bother with the enemies first 2 flags until you have the multi-cap flags...once you do, if possible coordinate the last 2 caps with other players in team chat or team voice chat. capping flags that quickly get recapped do little for your team in the end.

Crouching helps you reduce recoil but does not improve accuracy of the weapon used. Use it only to help reduce recoil of weapons with high recoil that you have difficult time controlling like the support or the allied rifle. the smgs, axis rifle, and sniper rifles have so little recoil that you are better off standing as you are more mobile and a more difficult target. the exception is occasional quick ducks to make you a more erratic target..or when attempting to lower your profile behind cover. you should practice controlling recoil of the support weapons and the allied rifle without crouching though..you will become much better with those classes if you do.

With sniper rifle do not move around corners slowly and scoped in. practice pressing for the scope to come up such that it comes up right where you want it to, just as you clear cover and on target. predict where you need to fire when you come around the corner in advance. fire and immediately move away. This minimizes the amount of time you are stationary and makes you a much harder target.

Learn the maps anticipate where enemy will be coming from. look at your minimap, use your ears ( the axis have squishy shoe sounds), watch the death messages and how flags are capped. all of these things will help you predict what will happen next. When you know the places your enemy likes to set-up, or where a particular player likes to hide fire preemptively at those spots when you come around corners. You will luck out more than you know. for example as a sniper scope and fire at the window where mgs often set up as you come around the corner. That can be done faster than you recognize that one is there or not. Fire your assault rifle in the dark corner of the room as you enter...even hitting the door frame and you will hit the enemy before you know he is there and before he can react.

Be unpredictable. This is tough but important. players that are easy to predict are easy to kill....for the reasons listed above in part. For example you empty your bar and the enemy is still alive. You duck around the corner to reload....but he will probable follow just after..you might be better off pulling your knife and charging back at him. Or if you have popped twice around a corner and you are trading shots with an enemy...why stick your head out a third time? that trades your skill at aiming verse theirs. better change approach and attack from elsewhere while they are still focused on that corner. Its always easier to attack from surprise.

Lastly when just starting this game...you will die alot. don't make that change your play so that you are less aggressive and defensive. Your kill to death ratio is not whats important. if at the end of the round you killed 5 and died twice....you had no impact on the round whatsoever. its meaningless. Now if you had 70 kills in a round no matter how many times you died you were the driving force of your team. You probably capped some flags or helped defend your team mates as they did and so on. Whats more important is kills per minute and caps that result in wins. They key to getting better is playing aggressively. because only by doing so will you gain the experience to become a better player faster. you respawn fast so dying doesn't matter. But sitting in a corner waiting for the enemy to pass you by....you will waste alot of time not getting any better that way.
  • Sillyminion likes this

#6 Kerfuffle

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Since I seem to enjoy nades the most, this will be about nades....

when taking or defending Kalt-Bridge, use support class, throw first grenade on the bridge---They will back away and clump together---as they do this you should be cooking your second nade, put it right in the crowd and get a tripple kill, works for me everytime.

Dont be afraid of your own nade, cook it and die, you will respawn

Nades will bounce off walls and around corners

German nade physics are much like a hatchet, they are chucked not thrown.

Allied nade physics are much like baseball, they are thrown, not chucked.(and if u are drunk and playing, think of bowling)

Misinformation. Spleen cooks his nade and then eats it. When he rounds the corner holding his gun, you have no idea what is about to happen.

#7 Sillyminion

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Here are some important things I have learned in the few months I've been playing

• Never forget that you are playing against other people who have most likely played much longer than you. You will die, often and sometimes frustratingly. Don't give up, figure out what they are doing and use that information against them.

• Demo's aren't just for hackusations. They can be used as a learning tool. Learn how to record a demo; watch what good players do and learn from them.

• Learning maps is important for more than just how to get from Point A to Point B. Learn not just how you will travel but the path members of the other team will travel. Then find places to lay an ambush or disrupt them on their travels. Even if you can only delay them for a few seconds it may give your team the chance to cap an important flag or get a choke point covered.

• If you don't play a lot of first person shooters (I didn't when I started playing DoD:S) it will take some getting used to. It can be a bit confusing trying to find where you are supposed to go while trying to not get shot. Don't get discouraged. You will get there, it just takes some time.

• Easy way to learn the basics of the maps is to create your own server and walk around for 5 - 10 minutes figuring out where flags are. It will make your experiences in game much less hectic when you are starting out.

• Learn the basics of each class and the weapons they use.

Remember that it's a game, and have fun.

#8 dj_spleen

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

I have to add to this again, because of a conversation i had with duff.

Proning. Some people think its dishonorable, In my view if they are dead and you are alive that is all that matters. When I prone it is usually on the offensive, I will prone as I am advancing a flag, peek around the corner, clear the targets, and move on. Sometimes If I have seen a bunch of friendly deaths on the HUD, I will ambush at the flag to equalize the team, until my team respawns, and then continue my advance.We do have a player and we all know who I am talking about, who does nothing but belly crawling and ambush, He is very good at this and it works for him. Downside, In my opinion, little to no help flag capping.

Also with proning, the support weapon is so much more accurate, and you dont waste an entire clip hitting nothing but air.

#9 Col.Krust

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Its not more accurate when proning...but recoil is easier to control....it helps me but some players the benefit is marginal.

I prone as part of my repertoire to be unpredictable. I sometimes do it to make myself a more difficult target....mid capping on dod_Stug for example.

The ability to prone is one of the things that drew me to dod in the old days....it was the first fps that enabled you to do so.

#10 duff

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

-

• Angerfist and dj_spleen like this

#11 Lin

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Unless you have only one flag remaining do not bother with the enemies first 2 flags until you have the multi-cap flags...once you do, if possible coordinate the last 2 caps with other players in team chat or team voice chat. capping flags that quickly get recapped do little for your team in the end.

I disagree.

I have played games where there was no movement at the multicap, the game was exciting yet my team needed help to get the flag. I feel that taking the 1st and 2nd flags can benefit my team and affect the momentum.

By going for the 1st and 2nd flag:
- You divide the strength of the other team by diverting some of them to defend their 1st and 2nd flags. This can give your team a better chance at the multicap.

- You motivate your team just by capping a flag, even if the cap is transient.

- You never know if / when your teammates are about to cap the other flags, resulting in a win. :)

- It doesn't take many players away from the main goal of the multicap.

You can change the energy of a stagnant game. That is one of the things I have always loved about Day of Defeat Source over some of the other games out there. It's faster and easier to have an effect on this game because of its pace and gameplay.

Your other suggestions were spot-on, by the way. :)

#12 Col.Krust

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

great points Lin!

As a distraction and morale booster you are super right. In fact positioning yourself in a place to distract the enemy from your teams midcap works well....or in a position to block enemy players that may come to break it. Often that is the ONLY way to cap the mid. allies camping the axis sniper house on donner for example works well. If you had a guy cap the axis first at the same time it might even be better. It works best if you time it with the cap though. I often see new players sneak all the way behind enemy lines. sneak out...cap the enemy first...only to get killed and it be immediately be recapped.....without doing much to help the overall flow of the game. But with coordination it can be awesome.

In competitive play it pays to have a skilled ninja capper...who knows how to sneak by folks undetected...to know when to kill and when not...to make a distraction if need be, and coordinate fullcaps. Its all about timing and its a tough skill to master....but it means all the difference sometimes in winning matches.

#13 Col.Krust

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

My other goal when not playing matches is to be top of the list on my team (total caps....though I do try to cap for full caps), and to have at least the second most number of deaths. I push myself to be aggressive as can be to try to win. Kills happen or don't happen as needed. But they don't tell you that you need to play harder. sometimes you have a foe that you cant outkill...but even still you can pull out a win (the best kind actually)!!

#14 Kerfuffle

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

I disagree.

I have played games where there was no movement at the multicap, the game was exciting yet my team needed help to get the flag. I feel that taking the 1st and 2nd flags can benefit my team and affect the momentum.

By going for the 1st and 2nd flag:
- You divide the strength of the other team by diverting some of them to defend their 1st and 2nd flags. This can give your team a better chance at the multicap.

- You motivate your team just by capping a flag, even if the cap is transient.

- You never know if / when your teammates are about to cap the other flags, resulting in a win. :)

- It doesn't take many players away from the main goal of the multicap.

You can change the energy of a stagnant game. That is one of the things I have always loved about Day of Defeat Source over some of the other games out there. It's faster and easier to have an effect on this game because of its pace and gameplay.

Your other suggestions were spot-on, by the way. :)

Or burying a shovel in the head of an annoying, but suddenly very surprised enemy sniper controlling a flag point, such as Krustie!

#15 Col.Krust

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Kerf.....I am oft spaded.....I am going to use the fact that I am deaf in one ear as an excuse...but I won't tell you which one!!!

#16 dj_spleen

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Further Nade tactics update...3.0...

If you crow hop while chucking a nade it seems to not only increase distance but accuracy. I have been testing this in game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com