Photo

Always meant to ask, do pilots use joystick input or keyboard?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Renlist

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:12 AM

Way back, I played Decent multiplayer with joystick (wouldn't/couldn't have it any other way). I always marveled at those with elite enough keyboard finger gymnastic skills to a pilot the Descent ship using just keyboard and mouse.  After Descent game, I sold my joystick and didn't take up piloting by keyboard when BF1942 came along.  Too lazy.  My keyboard and mouse plane flying sucks with BF1942.

I'm assuming BF1942 has joystick inputs?    It was insane me trying to fly the Descent ship by keyboard and mouse alone (until I got a joystick).  It's insane me trying to fly BF1942 planes with keyboard and mouse alone. I suck at it.

BTW, anyone remember that game Descent?     Not the single player, the multiplayer.  "Minerva" map. The pickups were all over the place, but not all the time.  Anyways, just saying that's the last time I had a joystick on my desktop.  Music is a bit overload, video is a bit long, but you get the picture.

• posi likes this

#2 Lin

Posted 22 September 2018 - 11:58 AM

Yes, there are joystick controls for the game. I was/am keyboard deficient and used a joystick to play the game, rather than the WASD that most used. Be aware, though, that if your joystick has any "wobble" in it, like once it gets older, you would find it affects the movement when you're in tanks or ground vehicles. The wobble interferes with mouse and you end up with a jerky game. So only plug it in for flying.

• posi and Highway Man like this

#3 pinchythelobster

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:19 PM

Keyboard and mouse for everything. I’m at a disadvantage but it’s still fun. Cool game you linked.

#4 posi

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:49 PM

Keyboard trackball , with fire and bombs double bound so they can be activated in a steep bank or dive if needed.

The transition is a handicap.  But..  as pinchy mentioned.  It has to be fun!

My keyboard is a Merc Stealth so controls for pitch and bank are on the right side with the trackball which can be used for the same control.

Left hand is on a world of hurt.

#5 HARRY TRIGGER

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:09 PM

I am not a pilot by any stretch of the imagination. But, my lovely bride picked me up a used Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. It is a lot more enjoyable to fly (Maybe 30-40 seconds before I am gunned down). :)

My keyboard is one that came with my old Gateway puter 2002. The mouse is a tad bit older. Wireless take 2 "AA" batteries Microsoft 2001.

Yes, there are joystick controls for the game. I was/am keyboard deficient and used a joystick to play the game, rather than the WASD that most used. Be aware, though, that if your joystick has any "wobble" in it, like once it gets older, you would find it affects the movement when you're in tanks or ground vehicles. The wobble interferes with mouse and you end up with a jerky game. So only plug it in for flying.

As joysticks get older Lin, they tend to get a "wobble" :) in it. :wasnt-me:

• Lin, posi and Highway Man like this

#6 Highway Man

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:27 PM

I am not a pilot by any stretch of the imagination. But, my lovely bride picked me up a used Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. It is a lot more enjoyable to fly (Maybe 30-40 seconds before I am gunned down). :)

My keyboard is one that came with my old Gateway puter 2002. The mouse is a tad bit older. Wireless take 2 "AA" batteries Microsoft 2001.

As joysticks get older Lin, they tend to get a "wobble" :) in it. :wasnt-me:

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

#7 Renlist

Posted 22 September 2018 - 07:02 PM

I had your basic CH joystick, nothing fancy.

CH1.jpg

#8 Section8

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:03 AM

I am not considered a pilot and never will be but still enjoy flying games.

I still have this game, tucked away as it was one of the few games that would work on the Mac long ago. (96K Dial up long ago)

It was soon one of my favorite games as I had never experienced such a fantastic "flying" game such as this. It had strafe, collective, pitch and bank. Had to set my keyboard up for my left hand and mouse for steering. 

X axis = A/D

Y axis = W/S

Z axis = Z

Bank = Q/E

I think there was one more set of keys that let you angle the craft but fly parallel with the enemy like War Thunder.

However, only so many fingers so that one did not get used.

The funny thing is, this is the exact same set up I use for War Thunder as it is one of the best games for no joystick.

Don't remember the name of the map, but it had a lava flume where everyone met in the middle and was total chaos. 

Between the flying, challenges, pick ups and even the sounds built in, this was way ahead of its time but really hard to play. 

Good post and good memories.

#9 Highway Man

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:15 AM

We had a joystick at one time.  My brother got the Microsoft Flight Simulator X along with a joystick. One day he pulled up to hard and broke the stick off..... :( 

#10 pinchythelobster

Posted 25 September 2018 - 09:28 AM

I am not considered a pilot and never will be but still enjoy flying games.

I still have this game, tucked away as it was one of the few games that would work on the Mac long ago. (96K Dial up long ago)

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat was my favorite for a long time.

#11 dodgem

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:00 AM

One day he pulled up to hard and broke the stick off..... :(

My ex-girlfriend almost did that!
  • Captain John H. Miller, Rubulator and Colonel Tavington like this

#12 Highway Man

Posted 25 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

:rofl: :rofl2:

#13 HARRY TRIGGER

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

She a pilot??????

• Captain John H. Miller likes this

#14 Colonel Tavington

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:54 PM

Same here but it was the wife (now ex) who almost did that...

• Highway Man likes this

#15 mistamontiel

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:20 PM

t33h33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com