Photo

inappropriate names

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spare Parts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 10:54 PM

if I were to call someone of asian decent "slant eye", there would be no mistaking my rasicm.  If I came into the server with the name slant eye, i would surely be kicked and there would be no gray area.  If I came into the server with the name round eye, I should not be surprised if I was asked to change it. It is merely the mirror of an known insult. 

I was told in game that the term round eye meant nothing derogatory during the Viet Nam war.  I had to laugh, if I was allowed to say things that were OK, during that time, I might be locked up for hate crimes.  Times change, people change, things that offend are ever evolving.  Hell there is even a word in Dutch we are not allowed to say here, even though that word does not offend me, our Dutch friend lose their mind when they hear or see it.  Shouldn't I be considerate of their feelings?

Round eye was asked to change his name by two Admins, at the point he didn't, it was no longer about if his name offended, it was about an Admin asking for a name to be changed and being ignored.  Coming back with the name Hitler was his childish choice, but a name that is allowed.  Hitler as a name is allowed, Hitler Rocks is not.  I have done a lot of studying to be an Admin here and there are things done and said here that piss me off but I let them go because it not against the rules.  So when I do say something, rest assured, I know what I am talking about. 

• Lin and Highway Man like this

#2 Highway Man

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:05 AM

Spare, I do have one question, I've seen that player on quite a few times before with an Admin on and the name never came up. Or did he say/do something before I got on?
😊

#3 Spare Parts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:26 AM

Spare, I do have one question, I've seen that player on quite a few times before with an Admin on and the name never came up. Or did he say/do something before I got on?

I have a low tolerance for racism.  I have an even lower tolerance for stupidity. So when the two are combined, I lose my mind.  I do not know which Admin has seen Mr. Eye but perhaps they do not have my age, or experience to know where this insults stems from.  Our ATF friend who was trying to explain to me that Round Eye meant nothing bad back in the day, is incorrect. Just like we were guilty of calling the Viet Cong, slant eyed gooks, they in turn called us round eye.  Just because you don't perceive the insult doesn't mean it's not there.  So calling out anyone for a physical trait that one people have over another, is racism and not allowed on the server.  The other day we had some idiot come on with "gas the jews" in German as his name.  I don't speak German and I was very slow to notice the word Juden let alone the gas part.  Just about the time I figured it out, a player brought it to the attention of the tagged up Admin and it was handled.  I guess I'm trying to explain that there is a possible cultural difference that may have played a part in why Mr. Eye has been allowed to play with that name.  Perhaps others don't realize what is being said or perhaps other Admin have longer fuses.  Posi asked him to change his name, when he didn't, I merely came in to assist and make sure the trash was taken out.  

• Highway Man likes this

#4 Dr. Detroit

Posted 30 October 2018 - 06:43 AM

Being the victim of racisim ( yes, white people are victimized by racist it's just not sensationalized )  this should not be tolerated.

The only problem with admins is they refuse to listen to the users.    

I was banned from TGE because the admin swore i taxied to a plane.   Several users exonerated me but the butt head admin still banned me.     As for the ban at TGE - I never went back because the admin is power hungry and ignorant.   Some admins should never be.    As for the argument admins deal with a lot of piss-ants,  yes they do, but that is part of the job.  Deal with it. 

< RANT OFF > 

#5 mistamontiel

Posted 30 October 2018 - 02:34 PM

I've seen that nick a ton

Maybe jus needs to keep his kill count offa GT

#6 Lin

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:09 PM

When I first became an admin, I never played. I hunted. My targets were the hackers, and that was my game. It was a couple of years before I really started to play. Back in the day when we were full 24/7/365, there were a lot more Trollface Trolls, and we were a lot busier. It's nothing like that any more, but my point is that we've dealt with a ton of problem players... and we are used to it. 

Remember though that we admins are still people. We have jobs, bosses, spouses, kids, bills, and dog poop to pick up. We'll have good days and bad days, I don't know the admin in question from the other server, but hopefully he was just having a bad day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com