Photo

need a new computer and want a laptop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shrinkage

Posted 23 April 2023 - 03:59 PM

i need to get a new computer and would like to get a laptop capable of running BF42 the same as my old tower PC im using or better. does anyone have any recommendations or best system setup they use?

#2 kaiserj

Posted 23 April 2023 - 04:19 PM

I have a 2019 Dell G3 3779 Laptop I'll sell you for $600. I used it to play BF42 on it occasionally. Intel Core i7-850H 2.20Ghz. 1TB SSD Hard drive. 16GB of RAM. Upgradable to 32gb. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti video card. Can support Windows 11.

#3 Wasabi®

Posted 23 April 2023 - 05:40 PM

Given how old the game is, any laptop, even a non-gaming one from recent years will run the game fine on max settings. 

One of the biggest factors that determines the cost of the laptop will be whether you want (or need) a dedicated GPU or not. If you are truly only going to run BF1942 then you can literally get anything on the market and it should run fine on integrated graphics (e.g. Intel Iris). If you need or want a dedicated GPU then that's going to be more expensive. 

I would just get the laptop with the best specs/screen size /portability combination that fits your budget and needs. Something like a Lenovo Ideapad can be had for less than $1000, often less than $700. 

Of course, if you plan to turn it into a workstation with keyboard + external display, that will be extra, but I imagine you probably have some of that hardware available already.

• Col Kilgore likes this

#4 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 23 April 2023 - 11:20 PM

If you go to the supermarket, go to the vegetable isle, pick one of the potatoes. It will be able to run BF1942 ;)

• Col Kilgore, Capn Cackler and bruh like this

#5 Shrinkage

Posted 24 April 2023 - 09:54 AM

lol, guess i'm a little behind on the new tech. my PC still runs win 7 :) 

• Capn Cackler likes this

#6 Capn Cackler

Posted 01 May 2023 - 09:41 PM

lol, guess i'm a little behind on the new tech. my PC still runs win 7 :)

Respect for the best operating system! I ran it till I melted my cpu playing minecraft and got a new pc :<

#7 Nicole

Posted 02 May 2023 - 05:04 AM

lol, guess i'm a little behind on the new tech. my PC still runs win 7 smile.png

Respect for the best operating system! I ran it till I melted my cpu playing minecraft and got a new pc :<

True gamers use Windows 3.1. smile.png

#8 Wild-Bill

Posted 07 May 2023 - 12:13 PM

lol, guess i'm a little behind on the new tech. my PC still runs win 7 smile.png

True gamers use Windows 3.1. smile.png

I played the heck out of minesweeper and solitaire on Win 3.1 , also cut my teeth learning networking with 3.11 for Workgroups.

What Wasabi said above is literally the best advise you can get. BF42 will still take advantage of a decent GPU, so get the best that your budget can afford and you will be pleased.

-=W/B=-

#9 kaiserj

Posted 25 January 2024 - 05:44 PM

If you go to the supermarket, go to the vegetable isle, pick one of the potatoes. It will be able to run BF1942 wink.png

I just bought a new Dell with just integrated graphics. It does not run BF1942.

#10 Colonel Tavington

Posted 25 January 2024 - 06:27 PM

"Dude, you're getting a Dell."

#11 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 26 January 2024 - 12:42 AM

If you go to the supermarket, go to the vegetable isle, pick one of the potatoes. It will be able to run BF1942 wink.png

I just bought a new Dell with just integrated graphics. It does not run BF1942.

Are you sure it's not software settings related?

#12 kaiserj

Posted 26 January 2024 - 09:36 AM

It will start the game. When you go into the settings checkboxes are missing. Sliders are missing for like music levels. I can join a server and watch the gameplay but as soo as I spawn the screen freezes. I can here myself move around but the screen is frozen. After a few seconds the game crashes. This happens in both the Moongamers file install and Origin install. I don't know what settings to change. 

#13 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 26 January 2024 - 02:35 PM

Are you running the game in administrator mode, and compatibility mode "windows XP"?

#14 kaiserj

Posted 26 January 2024 - 02:49 PM

I think my integrated graphics wasn't jiving with my 4k monitor. I put in a cheap used graphics card that has 4K capabilities and everything looks amazing and BF42 runs fine now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com