Photo

The best CD to MP3 converter.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:21 PM

I am not looking for the best interface. I want the best sound quality. itunes? winlame?.......

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Fulcrum

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:26 PM

I use my Windows Media Center Enhancements.

#3 Hartley

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:43 PM

I use Audacity. Freeware, can even edit sounds.

http://audacity.sour...e.net/download/

Ive been using it for a while with no trouble. Open up your WAV/whatever of coice and hit "Export as MP3"

WMA's do NOT work.

#4 Why Two Kay

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:45 PM

Audacity also uses the LAME Mp3 Encoder, so it would be about the same as other LAME software.

LAME is, though, regarded as the best MP3 encoder.

#5 anode

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:52 PM

Personally, I use a large megaphone connected to a wax roll. failing that, i use .shntool. Google it.

#6 Kilo-Wiskey

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:50 AM

Vista has a great ripper. Otherwise I use Music Match.

#7 DarkFall

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:56 AM

Vista has a great ripper. Otherwise I use Music Match.

:wacko:

I have used Lame and really like it, but I use Itunes and rip everything to 320. I'd suggest Lame, as Ryan said...

#8 mike080697

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:57 AM

Jack, you got and old computer laying around? I suggest installing Ubuntu Linux on it and then install this <here>

The program is called "Grip", it does everything flawlessly including stripping copy protection from your own purchased music.

#9 xoxoaerynxoxox

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:42 PM

I think there is a LAME encoder that works with itunes - so you get a good encoder with all the functionality of itunes. However, I haven't used it. I use itunes to DL on all my music with their AAC encoder and import at 192 Kpbs - which sounds ok for my ipod or my comp. speakers. I don't buy music from itunes or on-line because of the crappy 128 kpb, so basically have most of my music on CD's. If I want to listen to higher quality on my stereo or in my car, I use those or use NERO to make copies. I have over 200 g of music so I like/need a well organized system. Itunes also has a lossless encoder which I haven't tried.

Just as a general question - isn't there a loss of quality no matter what when you switch to MP3's? I notice the difference from vinyl to CD...and then again down to MP3's...but for space I live with it. And it's hard to fit those vinyls into my car's CD player.

#10 DarkFall

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

I think there is a LAME encoder that works with itunes - so you get a good encoder with all the functionality of itunes. However, I haven't used it. I use itunes to DL on all my music with their AAC encoder and import at 192 Kpbs - which sounds ok for my ipod or my comp. speakers. I don't buy music from itunes or on-line because of the crappy 128 kpb, so basically have most of my music on CD's. If I want to listen to higher quality on my stereo or in my car, I use those or use NERO to make copies. I have over 200 g of music so I like/need a well organized system. Itunes also has a lossless encoder which I haven't tried.

Just as a general question - isn't there a loss of quality no matter what when you switch to MP3's? I notice the difference from vinyl to CD...and then again down to MP3's...but for space I live with it. And it's hard to fit those vinyls into my car's CD player.

Get with the program, 8-track is where it's at, man! :wasnt-me: I remember a suitcased size case I carried my 8-track collection in for about 6 months, then cassette got popular and I said "bye, bye" to the back ache. I even left it in my unlocked car for months, hoping someone would steal the case and it's contents. All I got for my trouble was a note saying "buy cassettes, they are lighter and easier for us to carry..." <_<

I guess there is a loss in quality, but as you get older, your ruined ear drums don't notice... :wasnt-me:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com