Photo

Line In

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Enforcer

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:12 PM

On the back of the CPU, I have two inputs for line in and digital out. What are these used for. Currently, I have my headphones split from the [green] line coming from the Altec Lansing 5.1 surround sound speaker set. The four speakers plug into the subwoofer and then that goes to the CPU. At the CPU, there are three wires...the yellow, black, and green one. I split the green one, turn the speakers off at the subwoofer to get headphones to work. I have the mic plugged into the mic jack, but that leaves two other ports. The digital out, camera perhaps, and the line it. What are they..?

Is there a better way to do the headphone set up?

Computer is a Dell 8300 Series.

#2 LeadPoison

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:52 PM

I have a dimension 8100, ah i remember the day when its was a badass machine like yours is now.... anywho back to your question. The ports you are talking about are to your soundcard. The Line level output is normally used to connect HI-FI equipment to an amplifier, so things such as Tape Decks, Radio Tuners, CD players, DAT machines, Mini-Disc players and such. I wouldn't worry too much about them unless you are really into home music recording. Oh and the digital out is an optical output, same deal.

I would probably look into a nice set of usb headphones if I were you, I'll take my Klipsch sound system at full volume over headphones anyday. :cool1:
Different strokes for different folks.

#3 Enforcer

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:18 AM

Where would USB headphones hook up..on the back of the CPU somewhere..I was told to look for the headphone jack from one of the speakers, but, I don't remember if there is one. All the speakers plug directly into the subwoofer, but, I will look later tonight. Thanks Lead for the reply. I had no idea what they were for.

#4 LeadPoison

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:36 AM

Posted Image
you should have two USB ports in the front too. Come to think of it a USB mic might be the answer for you.

#5 Boondock Saint

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:42 AM

Yeah USB is the way to guy brother..... :shoot:

#6 LeadPoison

Posted 27 February 2004 - 11:47 AM

I think I am going to go with this one, $40 USB Headset
Posted Image

This one would help you out too enforcer!

#7 Boondock Saint

Posted 27 February 2004 - 01:52 PM

I got this one.....love it....

http://www.compusa.c...3156&pfp=BROWSE

#8 LeadPoison

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:03 PM

Hmmm.... seems like the major difference is in the in-line volume and mute control button, do you use them that often when you play boon?

#9 Boondock Saint

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:12 PM

constantly..helps to mute when you are cursing like a drunk sailor while learning a new pack........plus I like the pleather ear covers and a lower priced one I looked at had the foam.....Im a wuss...the one you are looking at looks like it has the pleather though too..... :gunsmi:

#10 Lin

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:31 PM

I run with a Plantronics headset, it also has volume slider and mute on the headset line...sweet, especially when the phone rings, the dogs bark, the background music gets too loud, I start to curse like a drunken sailor...no, wait, that's Boon... :P :rofl:

#11 LeadPoison

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:43 PM

Plantronics=$$$$ Might be out of my price range, I really don't want to spend more than $60 for a headset. I guess I will just see what is in stock this weekend.

#12 Lin

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:52 PM

It was a gift from a friend...I got him back with a Starbucks card, heh (knew he couldn't resist...!!)...and actually they are no more expensive than other brands out there, ranging from about $25 on up.

#13 Enforcer

Posted 28 February 2004 - 01:08 PM

Boon, thanks for the input..I am thinking to go looking today for a USB and see what happens..

Lead, great shot for us dangerous ones..I know just enough to really get in trouble..blast it all.

Um, I have nothing in the front..all bays are full..will have to make sure I have the USB thingy opened..thanks.

#14 LeadPoison

Posted 28 February 2004 - 03:31 PM

Posted Image

Is this what you are talking about enforcer?

#15 Enforcer

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:10 PM

Yep, I just found that today Lead..Did not know it was there..in fact often wondered why there was a door there..

Boonie, Best Buy has the logitech USB for $50 and I just happen to have a gift card for said amount, left over from my older gentleman day. So, I think I will purchase it tongiht.

That leaves me with two unused headsets..a labtec behind the head set, and the planatronics one that I just didn't like..anybody need one?

See, I need visuals..great pics Lead Poison..

#16 Enforcer

Posted 29 February 2004 - 11:13 AM

New USB headset purchased. thank you technical support moderator. Now, I just plug it in when I need it and I am good to go. I ended up with the logitech that boonie had from comp usa. Only because the planatronics one was the fold up variety and looked to flimsy for me. Plus, the logitech has some comfy ear pieces..so, if any one else needs a head set let me know.

#17 dante

Posted 29 February 2004 - 12:11 PM

Who are the deaf mutes of TS:

Warnog - where the hell is he anyway?
Maximus - or is he already speaking?

I can't think of anyone else, but if you are a mute chime up the cop is giving away headsets. Now if they where donuts "fagetaboughtit" :-D

#18 Lin

Posted 29 February 2004 - 12:18 PM

WarNog, last I knew, was still "protesting stupidity". Max has been taken care of, Boon was sending him a headset. Angel has been taken care of, his should be in any day.

Speak up fellas! Who needs voice?

#19 Boondock Saint

Posted 29 February 2004 - 12:30 PM

Guess it would help if i shipped it to Max wouldnt it?.....Is that little Texas redshirt biaaaatch even registered in the forums?......I gotta better idea...I will have Killer Canuck personally deliver it.....they love each other so..... :shoot:

#20 Comet

Posted 01 March 2004 - 12:04 AM

I run a SideWinder Game Voice and Panasonic headset with boom mic. The audio runs out of the computer into the Game Voice then loops out to my Yamaha sat's and sub. The head set plugs into the Game Voice, I have a switch on the base to toggle between headset and speakers. The volume on the base is easily accessible, along with a large mute button so no one hears me hack out a cough or place my pizza order!

This is old school but works great and cheap!

Total cost $39.49 CAN

Posted Image

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com