Photo

Hard Restarts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#21 Limpnoodle

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:17 AM

I thought it was fixed, I have logged a few hours in SF and ALOT of time in Oman.

I played for a few minutes in SF and BAM restart. <_<

#22 Santano

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:13 AM

Like I said its broke let me have it and Ill take care of it, you will never see it again ;)

Did you try kicking it?

One thing I have noted is that special forces seems to use a larger ammount of system resources.

(Ie, I can run BF2 on Medium. But not SF, I have to run low, or I get bad lag.)

So this leads me to belive that it could be when your system gets taxed or starts working hard, then Bam, restart.

Which could be the ram problem, power supply, or a large number of other things I have no idea about. I'm not much help, am I?

#23 TheChozeLa

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:37 AM

to get all youre motherboard prrameter(volt-frequency-temp...) in windows : http://www.softpedia...d-Monitor.shtml

to test ram (if you have 2 ram stick in youre comp) remove 1 and play if it doesnt restart then this ram is ok replace it by the other and retry!!

#24 KatManDu

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:40 AM

I have the same motherboard, and have earlier experienced somewhat the same problems when fooling around with the overclocking in bios.
One solution was to set the CPU frequency in jumperfree configuration to 201 - don't remember why, maybe due to a bug in the bios.
The nTune program from nVidia is quite good to tune the box, and it runs tests on different aspects when tuning. When you tune for memory, it runs about 40 tests and restarts the box several times to find the best settings. This helped me from having non-planned restarts :) Running newest bios (1014?) and nVidia drivers for motherboard (6.85?) may also be of help.

Btw, I also had to remove the soundblaster card out of the box for a while because it couldn't follow the speed of the pci bus. When computer was stable again I added the card and it still works.

What I do know is this feels like black magic and the problems take days to resolve :)

#25 paper_gh0st

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:00 PM

ok please listen to me. you are getting possible blue screens...

- click on the Start button.
- right click on the My Computer item in the Start Menu.
- select the Properties item from the Context Menu that scrolls out.
- click on the Advanced tab.
- click the button for Settings under Startup and Recovery.
- click to remove the check mark next to Automatic Restart.
- click OK

do this. it turns off your auto restarts. that way it brings you to a blue screen instead so you get the error that the pc wants to tell you. If you already did, please say so because i feel like im being ignored.

#26 TheChozeLa

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:31 AM

well after a day at work ( i have a boring job and i got alot of time to think about everything and nothing)! i just remembered that i already got this kind of problem and the reson was : a hdd!!! my hdd overheated once and then it was afraid of heat , each time it was working a little and started to warm up a little bit (over 35-37 deg Celcius) boom restart!
now i out of idea to help you!! good luck! ;)

#27 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:23 AM

well after a day at work ( i have a boring job and i got alot of time to think about everything and nothing)! i just remembered that i already got this kind of problem and the reson was : a hdd!!! my hdd overheated once and then it was afraid of heat , each time it was working a little and started to warm up a little bit (over 35-37 deg Celcius) boom restart!
now i out of idea to help you!! good luck! ;)

If that is the problem...air conditioning. In my previous apartment I used an old vacuum's flexible tube to pipe cool air from the central A/C vent in my room directly to the computer. Now I had to go and buy one of those upright/portable A/C units because in a room with no windows and bad air circulation when it heats up it's hard to cool down and my PC's fans all jump into overdrive...it sounds like a jet about to takeoff.

#28 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:02 AM

If you already did, please say so because i feel like im being ignored.

Did anyone hear something?

Well I played some last night and no problems, I will try to log into SF tonight. It seems to only do it when I play SF now, this is really pissing me off. Anyone know of a working Momory Test Program? I tried the one from Microsoft and MemTest86 or whatever and they wouldn't work on boot up (yes I used the proper boot device).

Yes Gh0st I did do that, it still hard restarts and I get no blue screen. Any more ideas?

#29 chinesemaster006

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:11 AM

Format

#30 The Xevious

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:28 AM

Format

If that does fix it, watch step by step what you reinstall after the game, and see if the issue still occurs. After each driver update, etc. That way you know what caused it.

#31 Limpnoodle

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:11 PM

Ok, reformat is a last ditch option. I have so much music on my PC right now it doesn't make sence to do that. (yes all my music was accuired legally, I know file sharing programs give you spyware like crazy so I don't use them)

Last night I left my BF2 running and went to help my wife with something, came back and it had restarted. I got pissed and got back into game, 30 seconds later a hard restart. After that restart where it lets you pick a profile I went to shut down and it restarted for me.... again. My wife called me this morning and she was searching for something on Google and it restarted on her 2 times. The problem seems to be memory, I don't think it is my HD.

I really need someone's help with a working memory tester. Does anyone have experience with one? Read above, my last post described what happened when I tried Microsoft's one.

I am still counting heat out because I can spend 2-3 hours gaming and no problems, while other times I can be on my PC for 4-5 minutes and it will do it.

HELP ME MOONGEEKS!

#32 TheChozeLa

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

try this : http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
or go there : http://www.simmteste...ducts/demos.asp
hope 1 of them will work!! ;)

#33 The Xevious

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

Download this small program to get a good reading of Fan Speeds and CPU temps, leave it running in log mode while playing and then see how it affects the issues temps.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

#34 Limpnoodle

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:41 PM

RAM Test showed nothing.

Ryan might have something with my BIOS showing false readings on my north/south bridge.

Keep the ideas comming guys, I still might need them.

#35 pest control

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:52 AM

did you overclock, with nTunes or BIOS?, by default, the PCI bus clock is set to track the hypertransport clock, and if you overclocked HT, that will effect the PCI bus and cause damage.
and how long did u run the memtest? u should run it at least 24h to confim that the system clock itself is stabil.
whats the frequency and what timings do you have for memory? cpuID
compare them with the manufacturers specs
I would sugest to download and run one of benchmarking apps, (3dmark200x) - in that way it will test all the hardware that u have in computer, one by one, and if one of them fails, u will know where the problem is.
you didnt post ur power supply, so Im guesing ur using the generic one, it would be a good start if you find another one and test it, In shop where I bought some part for my computer, they wouldnt give any warranties on generic PSU. they wouldnt even agree that it will run more than six months.
one of programs that comes with asus is PC probe II ..., if you have it, use that as it displayes the voltage ur getting from PSU

#36 Grenade71822

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:20 AM

heres kinda a thought. but it could be that your bios is set to turn on after a power outage. Just some ramblings

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com