Photo

Windows Vista and gaming

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

Assuming that a person has a computer that is "Vista (any version) Ready", what flavor would you recommend for us gamers? I am currently running XP-Pro with SP2. Also, I read somewhere that the OS comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Does that mean that I have to decide which one I want before I buy it, or does it mean that both are included in the box and I chose the one I want to install?

#2 Catfish

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:22 PM

You may want to read this

http://www.theinquir...x?article=34517

and this

Vista gaming will be slower than XP

also

Vistas gaming prowess assessed

Not saying you;d buy it just for the games... I'm just sayin'. That's all.

#3 Jack

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:29 PM

You may want to read this

http://www.theinquir...x?article=34517

and this

Vista gaming will be slower than XP

also

Vistas gaming prowess assessed

Not saying you;d buy it just for the games... I'm just sayin'. That's all.

:eek: that is not :coo: . I don't mind the longer load time, but the lower fps :wtf: Maybe that is something they will work on before the OS comes out....whenever that may be......

#4 Bacon

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:32 AM

Because the main slowdown is in loading the 3d desktop would you not be able to switch the desktop to the "classic" look.

#5 TheL3gend

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

Bacon is right. Vista won't slow down your computer much more than XP does unless you have the FULL Windows Aero theme going. That eats up quite a bit more RAM than XP.

#6 Why Two Kay

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:20 PM

1gb is the amount of ram that you really need to run XP well today.

2gb is the equiv for Vista, basically it's what you need for today's Vista computer. At least.

If you really plan to go full Aero and all that stuff, 3gb would be good.

#7 paper_gh0st

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

ive tested vista and i personally dont like it too much. It is exactly the same as XP except classier and the windows are opaque or transparent depending on your settings. it also has this little side bar that acts as a daily task manager that is too big IMO.

XP works so nicely for me, i dont need vista. But knowing microsoft, they are going to release SPs like candy and slowly force XP to become obsolete.

#8 Bacon

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

The only way to get DX 10 is by using Vista I believe so you will be forced into it at somepoint... <_<

#9 pest control

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

networking is completely redone and Microsoft is saying that the throughput is increased (no more ping lag). there are new algorithm in tcp/ip protocol and the IPV6 is built directly while in Xp it was just hacked in, - the multiplayer gaming will have huge benefit on this
DX10 - much faster DLL, unified vertex and pixel shaders (means alot less load on cpu), more flexible memory access in GPU, (like two time more frames per second..) and one single standard for cards to be considered DX10 compatible (GPU doesnt have to define in what mode the data is coming to classify it like in previous DX9 or DX8 or...alot less load in GPU)
there is no DX10 cards in market yet so this will be a must upgrade if you want to see the performance benefit of Vista.
the only backdrop will be the security part, with new kernel, there will be more control processes on the data goin in and out. and knowing Microsoft, you will probably not be able to rip off your own cds anymore:)

Im not sure how much difference will it be other than nice looks for us simple mortals, but for programers it will make a hudge difference. next year when Battlefield 3142 is out, BF2 will look like pong looks today.

#10 Catfish

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

Yeah, DX10 is gonna be sweet! The one article I referenced points out how ironic it is that functionally you get lower FPS even though MS says that some operations in Vista are 4 times faster for gaming.

#11 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

Look for Silverhawk in TS. He sounds like he knows a lot and is working out the kinks of running BF2 in Vista.

#12 TheChozeLa

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:36 AM

vista?? who need vista??? windows ME for ever!!!!!!!!
for now i use win2k!! i cant use vista my pc cant handle it(amd 4800X2,2gig ram,XFX7900gt) ;)
anyway dont buy vista at the lauch day!! wait until the SP1 !!!
and you get lower fps with vista because its build for DX10 only and nothing work with DX10(gfx card/games work on DX9/Ogl 2.X)

#13 pest control

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

there will be a D9 L or something version that will enable current cards to have some of the DX10 features

Chozela, your computer should be somewhere on very top for Vista, MS put out a tool that you can run and get a score on how it will handle vista.

and the worst os ever made is Windows ME, if bill gates goes to hell, it will be for puting out windowsME :P

#14 ijakings

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

Having Tested Vista since Phase 1 I can personally say its come on a long way from its smelly beginnings. I dont run it now as i dont have the time to dedicate to it anymore but the latest version i tested you are gonna get a slower gaming experience using aero fully but obv you can turn all that off. DX10 is gonna be the main reason i go out and "buy" vista. Ill just end up turning Aero off id imagine. I run on windows Classic now. Just waiting for those DX10;s to upgrade my x800.

#15 pest control

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:48 PM

i just found that you can install Vista only twice per license. as gamer, its recomended that you reinstall Windows at least once in six months, so we have to buy Vista every year..... :banned:

Linux FTW

#16 Why Two Kay

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:24 PM

i just found that you can install Vista only twice per license. as gamer, its recomended that you reinstall Windows at least once in six months, so we have to buy Vista every year..... :banned:

Linux FTW

Reinstall =/= Install. Doesn't XP say only one install allowed, yet I have reformatted so much that I called Microsoft, explained how often I reformat, and they gave me more activations on this same hardware.

#17 Bacon

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:51 PM

Linux FTW

Most likely 2 different computers. I would think you would be able to reinstall all you want. Then again...it is Mi¢ro$oft

#18 TheL3gend

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:03 PM

Linux FTW

Most likely 2 different computers. I would think you would be able to reinstall all you want. Then again...it is Mi¢ro$oft

No, actually, it's Microsoft.

#19 Catfish

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:24 PM

Linux FTW

Reinstall =/= Install. Doesn't XP say only one install allowed, yet I have reformatted so much that I called Microsoft, explained how often I reformat, and they gave me more activations on this same hardware.

That doesn't mean it isn't a pain. If I buy the software I shouldn't have to ask permission to reinstall it. :banned:

Yes, I understand the reasons, no, it doesn't make it less of a pain.

#20 pest control

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:43 PM

with windows XP you can have it runing only on one machine per licence, but you dont have limits on reinstallations.
Vista is not recognazing term "reinstallation" anymore and everytime you call them or you register online is "Installation", with one license you get only two installations.
after that you have to buy a new Vista licence,
Microsoft is claiming that this version is far more stable than the old WinXP code was, Win XP code was patched Win2000..., and therefore you will not have to reinstall as they have covered the security etc.

this is like forcing people to buy new computers on yearly basis, and think two more times before choosing to build your self

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com