Photo

Need internet help badly.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 TheL3gend

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:53 AM

Alright... I need help with resolving internet connectivity issues.

I have been getting extremely angered by net cutting out all the time. Somedays it never happens, and somedays like today it cuts out for about 30 seconds every 5 minutes. I've been disconnected from BF2 10 times today and that does not make for a very happy gamer. I'm pissed. >=| :comp26:

This has been happening for months now, but has gotten worse in the last few weeks. We called our ISP and they said they have doen checks on the cable and it is fine, they said our modem was fine and that they have not been having any troubles in my area. We did computer check, and my comp is configured properly. I just don't understand why this is happening. It is totaly random, like I said, somedays I will have no trouble and somedays it's hell.

I really need to fix this for my sanity, and for the modem's health... It's been getting quite a beating when it cuts out. :wasnt-me:

My setup:

ISP cable >>> Modem >>> Router >>>1. My computer >>>2. Family computer

When the net goes out it goes out for both computers. I have a Linkys Cable Modem (BEFCMU10) that we got a little over a year ago. And a Linksys router (BEFSR41) that we got in January when I built this computer. We checked with Linksys and Cox (ISP) and we do have it all setup right... When the net goes out, the Cable light (that is normally always on) will go out and the Activity light (which always flickers) will either flicker or stay solid.

Please help. :( Thanks in advance for any replies! ^_^

PS. I don't think it's needed for this issue, but my PC specs are in my sig.

Edited by TheL3gend, 10 April 2006 - 10:56 AM.

#2 Santano

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:56 AM

I had a simular problem that was caused because the cable line was split too many times before it got to the modem. So, is it split off to a tv maybe before it goes to the modem? (in the same room?)

#3 TheL3gend

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:02 PM

I did forget to mention that, yes. It's really more like:

Cox Cable >>>1. TV Cable 2. Internet Cable

The main cable comes in, is split, one goes to the TV and the other goes to the modem.

One other thing, on our TV we have been noticing bad picture quality in the form of sparkling. Just all over the screen these little sparkle white and colorful dots appear for half a second, but constantly. We know it isn't a problem with the TV because when we play a DVD or something it doesn't happen.

We have 1 TV and 2 computers. Do you think that having it split like that would cause the trouble? There isn't much I can do though if that is the trouble. :/ We aren't goign to dump the TV, and I'm afraid I won't be discarding my nice comp anytime soon. -_-

Edited by TheL3gend, 10 April 2006 - 12:03 PM.

#4 pest control

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:20 PM

it is probably your cable, they messure the signal strength through RF value and if the line noise is too high, the signal will reverberate and bounce back. ur modem will not get any signal. you should ask your cable company to come and check it
have they been at ur home and diagnose the signal strength?

#5 TheL3gend

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:31 PM

No... they told us over the phone that they checked the cable from where they were... I guess that isn't good enough. I'll try to contact them later and talk to them again about getting a person physically out here.

#6 Limpnoodle

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:33 PM

I had the same problem, got disconnected all the time (More when surfing than gaming).

Got the modem replaced and it has never happened again. The modem was only 1 year old.

#7 Santano

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:47 PM

I dont know all the details in regard to my problem
BUT
Complain enough and they will come look, make sure they look at what I mentioned

we had like outlet in room (diagram)

outlet(to attic)
|
|
/..\
/.....\
/..... \
Modem..... TV
and thats what caused the problems

However, its possible it could also be caused by bad wiring
Come to think of it, I had the exact problem mentioned by you.

Edited by HunterKiller, 10 April 2006 - 01:48 PM.

#8 TheChozeLa

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:38 PM

if you can, change the "splitter" and if you have a friend who have the same connection spec(cable) test youre modem with hes conn......!!!!

#9 Santano

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:53 PM

That wont work. Most cable isps set it up so only one modem will work per payed connection off of one of the numbers on the modem, and its entirly possible the splitter is whats causing the trouble in the frist place, so its not a matter of a splitter being bad.

#10 TheL3gend

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:28 PM

Ok, thanks for the replies. I want to try to get a person from Cox out here first, because I don't want to have to deal with my parents shooting me if they buy a new modem and it doesn't fix anything. XD

#11 Santano

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:43 PM

They SHOULDNT have to buy a new one. Cable company should provide one...

#12 TheChozeLa

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:15 AM

They SHOULDNT have to buy a new one. Cable company should provide one...

depend if the modem is rent or buy!!! if you rent it so they will replace it when they will be 100% sure its the problem!! it you bought it it work with the modem builder garanty!! ( 1year)!!

and for the modem doesnt work somewhere else.. i dunno how it work in US but in canada its like that : the compagni who sell you internet connection connect youre CABLE not the modem so you can use any modem to go on internet it doesnt matter!! and he have a linksys , you can buy it at wall mart!!! all you need is plug ,get in it from windows IE/firefox..., config and its done!!!

#13 Santano

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:25 AM

In the US, for most cable providers, you have to call them and tell them the serial I belive of the modem, and they configure it to work. Otherwise (belive me) it wont work, unless your friend is willing to go thru the hassle of two long phone calls.(What a Friend :)) Agreed, I assumed your modem was provided with the monthly fees but some companies do make you buy one. Walmart has one thats not bad (I used to have it) but that probally wont be nessecary.

#14 TheL3gend

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

We didn't buy or rent the modem from the cable company, we got it from CompUSA, and I beleive the warranty has expired. What we are going to do, is first try replacing the splitter (splits cable to TV and Modem). if that doesn't work we will make sure a person from Cox gets out here to take a look. If we have to end up replacing the modem, then I guess that's what we'll do.

#15 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

We didn't buy or rent the modem from the cable company, we got it from CompUSA, and I beleive the warranty has expired. What we are going to do, is first try replacing the splitter (splits cable to TV and Modem). if that doesn't work we will make sure a person from Cox gets out here to take a look. If we have to end up replacing the modem, then I guess that's what we'll do.

Before you replace the splitter try without the splitter. If you still have problems try removing the router from the equation, still without the splitter. Take out as many potential factors as possible to be able to narrow it down to the modem before you go spending money on one. I had connectivity problems before and I think they were caused by my paranoia. When I left the home to go to work I would either press a standby button on the modem, which effectively cuts off the connection, or I would lock the connection through my firewall. My router (BEFSR41) really hated that and it would crap out. So much so, that I gave up and opted for a straight connection for a long while.

This time, when I decided to try and reinstall it also took a while for things to start working so I lost my patience and left it overnight...all the devices synched up pretty much by themselves. I did use one little trick, though: I setup the router to have the MAC address that my main computer used to have to fool the modem into thinking that it was still connected to my computer and it was a single device. Then I setup my two comps behind the router and everything was beautiful ever since. ;)

I hope that helps you to at least narrow it down.

#16 Santano

Posted 11 April 2006 - 06:07 PM

Before you replace the splitter try without the splitter.

Thank you noobie that is exactly what i was trying to say

#17 TheL3gend

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:02 PM

Ok, that sounds good, I'll work on it later. The only trouble is, if I find it to be the fact that it IS split to be the trouble, there is nothing really that I can do. My parents = TVoholics and both my comp and family need internet.

But thanks for all your replies, especially Noobie1 Canoli and HunterKiller. :hap3:

Actually, I just realized a minor problem... it's the fact that this problem is intermittent. I.e. I never really know when it's going to happen. Like today, I haven't had any trouble so far. So, if I take out the splitter for a while and it works, it's possible that it's only working because.. it's working. XD

#18 chinesemaster006

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:15 PM

Forget about cable and get DSL.
My ISP in Canada is so stupid, they priced High Speed Ultra more expensive than High Speed itself. Even though they have the same connection speed.

Check it out.
http://www.bell.ca/s...tr_Landing.page

So the people that pick the High Speed Ultra option screw themselves over $5/month.

Good thing I took a High Speed contract, so if they decide to lower the connection speed, they can't do so for mine. Or else I get $100 from them for breach of contract. :)
-------------------------------------------------------
Oh and they offer: "Order online and get your first month free!"

What I used to do a few years back, I would make an account, take first month free, shut it down make a new one... so on. Until they added the exception... available only to new customers.

Fools.

#19 TheL3gend

Posted 11 April 2006 - 07:26 PM

Sorry, unless one day Verizon FiOS comes to my area, changing providers isn't an option, and there really is no reason to. The cable I have is really fast (when it works XD ).

#20 TheL3gend

Posted 11 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

Maaaann... I just got disconnected from a very fun BF2 game. :( I've decided to devote the rest of my spring break to fixing this...

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com