Photo

Mostly Strand

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:12 AM

I will try to make this short because I am at work.

I think we need to make our DoD server a "Mostly" server. Pick a map and run it 24/7 unless there is an admin present and the most of the players want to change (to a orange map map for example). This really helped our BF2 servers in their infancy become very popular, and alot of the 24/7 servers I see in the DoD server list is doing pretty good.

My vote would be to do a 24/7 dod_strand_rc1 server. I have logged probably 10+ hours (that is alot for me considering I play only a few hours a week) on a 24/7 strand server that has ALWAYS had 25+ people in it. It doesn't matter what time of the day it is, early morning or late night, they are always a 75-100% full. Why have I been playing there? Our server has always been empty. Another reason to make it strand, that's who we are. It's Omaha.

Let me know what you think, I just want to get our server populated so I don't have to play on a non-moongamers server, it makes me feel all icky.

#2 Paddleball

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

I second this motion!

I love strand and agree completely with you. The admin-present map changing thing is great too, though I've never been on the server when there was not and admin on.

The only problem is that strand with a very low populated server (which is what it is 20 hours of the day) is a strain in that it is a very large map.

#3 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:25 AM

The admin-present map changing thing is great too, though I've never been on the server when there was not and admin on.

Wanna know why? Admins are a LARGE percentage of the player base right now.

The only problem is that strand with a very low populated server (which is what it is 20 hours of the day) is a strain in that it is a very large map.

I agree, but with less people the gameplay doesn't suffer all that much. On Axis you have a better chance of staying on top of the hill without being killed in the first few seconds by the 8 riflemen/2 snipers camping the beach. When on Allied you have a better chance of getting off the beace because there isn't a ton of people filling the beach with machine gun fire. Axis will become more of run around and difuse than constant DM on the front lines. Once the server fills up there will be the massive push ont he front lines again but I think it's still fun with 6-10 people in the servers.

We do however need to limit the snipers to 2 people. Regardless if there is 8 people or 32 people on the server, 2 per team is enough.

I think it's still worth a shot, what do we have to lose? An empty server is a blank canvas, let's turn it into a Moonagmers work of art.

#4 Doc_UK

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

Worth a shot.

But i'm new to DoD, so just a noobish opinion from me...

#5 Fulcrum

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:45 PM

IMO, Donner would be a better map than strand to run just because it fun weather you have 2 people or 20 people.

#6 Hartley

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:23 PM

Id say mostly Strand, with some Avalanche, Flash, and Kolmar when the server is fuller.

#7 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

Id say mostly Strand, with some Avalanche, Flash, and Kolmar when the server is fuller.

I think the other maps will be good, only to mix things up. Not a rotation by any means, just something controled by an Admin when the players in the server at the time want to play something new.

If I want to fly in BF2 I go to Oman, if I want to ground pound I go to Karkand/CS:S. If we have a randon map and a very irradic player base, why would you even look at Moongamers. We need an identity.

#8 Noir

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:04 PM

I second this motion!

I love strand and agree completely with you. The admin-present map changing thing is great too, though I've never been on the server when there was not and admin on.

1st of all paddle doesnt get a vote cuz he keeps blowing off dod for wow.

2nd of all no, it would suck as anything 24/7 so days i'm on for the same 4 makes, 3-4times before i get off now and by then i leave cuz i'm sick of playing them all that many times in a row.

I think we set a home map like avalanche we have now, then have a vote map option at the usually time limit and give them map changing options for a vote, or extend map time. that way people know the end of a rounds coming instead of the abrupt ending we have now that people are just like wtf and leave cuz of.

#9 mike080697

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

1st of all paddle doesnt get a vote cuz he keeps blowing off dod for wow.

2nd of all no, it would suck as anything 24/7 so days i'm on for the same 4 makes, 3-4times before i get off now and by then i leave cuz i'm sick of playing them all that many times in a row.

I think we set a home map like avalanche we have now, then have a vote map option at the usually time limit and give them map changing options for a vote, or extend map time. that way people know the end of a rounds coming instead of the abrupt ending we have now that people are just like wtf and leave cuz of.

Yeah, the endings are strange, like in the middle of a round.

I like Donner, Flash, Kalt and Strand. I have trouble on Avalanche and Argentan, I don't know why.

#10 Why Two Kay

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

IMO, Donner would be a better map than strand to run just because it fun weather you have 2 people or 20 people.

I disagree, Donner is very boring with less than 10 people, and even then it's not that great.

Avalanche, Flash, etc are better choices.

And of course Colmar.

#11 Comet

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:31 PM

Mostly Strand means I would mostly play elsewhere. Strand is the kind of map you need to pick and choose at the right moment, it's contingent on the player base. I like Strand but not as a mostly.

I think one reason I like DoD:S so much is because of the variety it has to offer in both classic and custom maps. I've played Omaha what seems my entire life and as much as I like it I'm at the point I want variety. I'm willing to have a mostly map as long as we have a variety surrounding it. However, I've pretty much given up trying to establish that.

Limp, I'm not sure what time is good for you to play but it's obviously not the time most of us gather. This is still a relatively new server we're building, the player base for the most part comes from within. I'm not sure why but our server seems to appeal to the late night crowd, most mornings and afternoons you won't see a single player on. You can find us playing most weekday evenings from 8-12 pm, with an emphasis on Sunday night which is our night!

My selection for a mostly map are...

Avalanche by day and night!
Flash
Foxhunt
Colmar

My donation has been sent...

#12 Animal Mother

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

I don't know the maps that well,but whichever
is voted mostly,I will mostly agree :D

#13 WTBass

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

I too think we are too new/unpopulated for a "mostly" right now. I like the variety rotation and the smaller maps especially when it is only 2-4 of us playing. I can't wait for the day to have a mostly (i.e. stand) and a rotation server...that will be the nuts!

Like Comet...my donation has also been sent... :)

#14 Limpnoodle

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

I too think we are too new/unpopulated for a "mostly" right now.

Like Comet...my donation has also been sent... :)

The idea behind it was to build a player base (like we did with BF2) and then we can have a second rotation server. Or make as second server right now for a Mosty server, to introduce DoD fans to Moongamers.

By hey it was just an idea from someone who has started 4 different CS communities from scratch, the donators have spoken, we can close this now.

#15 WTBass

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

Hey Limp, didn't mean anything negative by the post...just my opinion. The last sentence regarding the donation is not intended to muscle anything...more of a plug for the server and to let people reading this know it takes donations...

I would love to see your idea come to life. I have 0 experience starting gaming servers/populations and would only love to see this one gain ground. You have my apology if I said the wrong thing...

My thought is that if the only map running is strand and there are only 4 people playing, it might not keep them too long. I doubt I would stay myself. I love the map when there is a decent population.

Also I don't think closing this thread is the way...there may be a bunch more input (much better than mine).

#16 Comet

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:52 PM

A mostly map in a rotation is very doable, I'm privy to that...I've been around long enough to know a thing or two. I mentioned previously I was willing to give a mostly map a try, I just didn't feel strand was the best map of choice to do so. You have played strand a lot, the sever you have played strand on has been full. We on the other hand have to pick and choose the best time to play it because we do not have a full server. If you think playing mostly strand right now will create a larger player base I respectfully disagree, I'll use my 70 hours of playing time on this server to justify my comments.

As far as your reference to "the donators", as Tim mentioned it was just a plug to make others aware this new server like all others needs funding. If you have started four servers in the past then you know they don't grow on trees. Your comment was disrespectful and uncalled for.

Enforcer lost all data pertaining to donations for March due to the tech who didn't listen to instruction. Seeing as I replied to the bulk of all March donations I know for a fact DoD:S came close to paying for itself, if not actually doing so...only three months into its existence. Quite an accomplishment considering some long standing servers like BF2 still can't pay their way.

DoD:S for now plays to a select group, primarily CS:S members. It populates at a select time, typically later in the evenings during the week and on Sunday nights. It has strong financial backing which will enable it to experiment with it's potential growth.

#17 Limpnoodle

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:52 AM

To save space in the thread I won't quote bass and comet, but this post is in regards to their posts.

First off I never said "We have to do mostly stand, take it or leave it!" I said:

I think we need to make our DoD server a "Mostly" server. Pick a map and run it 24/7 unless there is an admin present and the most of the players want to change (to a orange map map for example). This really helped our BF2 servers in their infancy become very popular, and alot of the 24/7 servers I see in the DoD server list is doing pretty good.

My vote would be to do a 24/7 dod_strand_rc1 server.

The first paragraph of my first post in this thread never mentions strand. The second one say's my vote is strand. The main point of the thread was that we need a "Mostly server". I titled it "Mostly Strand" because that's what I would like to see it, a forum mod can change it to "Mostly Server" if you would like. Yes my next posts was in regards to paddleballs post saying strand might not be a good choice, just and opinion of the map.

My comment about the donators didn't come from disrespect, it came from people mentioning "I'm a donator" in an idea thread... after their idea. From what I have seen in the past, we make thread reminding people to make donations (and alot have misleading titles). I understand how it could have just been a plug for the dontations, but it came at an interesting time. I will leave it at that and apologize if I upset either of you.

Comet, you mentioned the normal times you guys play as the times it is populated. I am not looking to change that, hell we can have a DoD:S mapnight on Sunday afternoon's and nothing will change from what it is right now. I am just looking to populate the servers the other 120 or so hours it isn't populated. I think we need to pick a map as a community, something that the masses enjoy playing and has a GREAT replay value. So when the mass amounts of current Moonies aren't in the server (not 8-12pm and Sunday night) we can have people who are not our normal crowd join up and play. This will lead to new forum members and potential donators. The point of having a consistant map is because people join servers that are playing the map they like, if we have that map anytime/everytime they want to play we will get their time. I think the orange maps are fun sometimes so I have a favorite server that hosts nothing but orange maps. I like Avalanche sometimes too, I have a favorite 24/7 Avalanche server that I go to. As I mentioned earlier I like strand, I play on a 24/7 strand server when I want to get a tan on the beach. When I join I have the same thing in common with all of the players, a love for that particular map.

I can see this eventualy leading to "Well I don't like that map, I won't be playing here anymore" because even as Moonies we have different tastes (Lin tastes the best). We went through the same thing with BF2 when picking the maps. Some people hated planes, some people hated that there was no planes. We ended up with two servers that made 90% of the people happy, on flying and one ground pound. We may end up with more than one server eventualy, but right now we need to decide what to do to populate this server. Once we populate this one we can talk about a second with a different map or a rotation, then advertise the other server on the Mostly server. That then gives people the opportunity to play a different map than what out Mostly is pushing, they can go there and play while staying in the Moon community.

#18 Why Two Kay

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:01 AM

If we ever got a 2nd server, the donations would have to go WAY up. This box is being taxed with all the servers it is running right now, and if we put another on they would all have to be 33 tic and limited add-ons. Basically... bad servers.

The box is not supporting itself (yet).

#19 Limpnoodle

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

Hence the word "eventualy"

#20 Comet

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:35 AM

Support comes in many fashions. Considering the server is three months old I feel we have a decent player base, and we have already established good financial backing. No, the server is not supporting itself where by it has a constant flow of traffic, and to be honest it may never fill like some servers we offer. Then again, it doesn't necessarily have to.

I find the CS:S members are responsible both in operating and populating the server. If a map night is going on elsewhere this server is for the most part empty, I check every night. As of yet this server doesn't have it's own identity more so then it doesn't support itself.

Limp, I never said "I'm a donator", I said my donation was in, meaning it's that time of the month...it was just a friendly reminder. Not sure what you mean about timing, perhaps it was the fact it was mentioned on your turf that got you upset. Like Tim mentioned and I concur we didn't do so to cut your grass or puff our chests out.

Apology accepted.

Lets get back to work...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com