Photo

Steam sucks...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Comet

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

It's a crap shoot every time I click on my DoD:S icon, as of late I can't get it to launch. If I'm lucky enough to get my splash screen loaded I'm then greeted with an error message informing me my memory could not be found.

I know better then to panic, I'm doing jack shit this time. I've learned that Steam has it's own issues at their end so I'll wait it out and see what happens. I will not be in game until this issue is resolved.

From day ONE I have never had Steam load as per normal, it's ridiculous the procedure I have to go through to get into game.

...end rant!

#2 KILLER BOB

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:39 PM

I hear ya Dan. Somehow, trying to load up Red Orchastra managed to screw up my windows setup so badly that rebooting is a hit or miss at this point. I'll have to get this sorted out pretty soon.

#3 Hammer

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

thats why i stick with the bf1942 disks.. :P

#4 AnonymousFlash

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

Just load through something like xfire. The only game I go through steam to play is Insurgency since it doesn't show up in xfire. And if you don't want xfire, simply restarting Steam clears up 80 percent of the issues.

#5 Catfish

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

I was having a steam issue and the suggested fix according to valve was ... reinstall steam. So, I will pass along this nugget of wisdom that I gleaned form my hour of cruising and combing the steam knowledge base...

"Reinstall Steam"

...yes, I know it's useless. <_<

#6 Hartley

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

I agree with my dad here...

"Steam is a Steaming pile of sh!t"

#7 Noir

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:06 PM

I've had a few steam icons die on me so I had to go the long way to start the program. I guess it's possible to save the files with all the downloads and modes, so when u reinstall it to fix it, your can just bring the files with the stuff back in place of the new ones.

#8 WTBass

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:08 AM

Dan I used to experience that stuff every now and then...my option was either rebooting or I would go in and stop all instances of steam in my task manager.

I know it is frustrating...I also don't have any special stuff except for short victory music...and that too like forever to get it to work! I've placed the files everywhere in my steamapps folder and subs and it finally started working.

I think if I had that many issues, I'd research my download key/code whatever, save my personalized stuff and try to reload...

Any how good luck with it my friend! :)

#9 Doc_UK

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:30 AM

For DoD, when i load up for the first time, I'll get in game then get disconnected ("connection error") <1 min later. I then have to close DoD, reload it, re-join and i'm OK.

A couple of weeks ago upon loading Steam would warn me my graphics card driver was out of date. So i updated to the latest one....it still told me my driver was out of date :blink:

#10 mike080697

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:01 AM

If I load up DoD:S by myself, no problems. If Bluestar2 and I try to get on the same game, sometimes it takes 30-60 minutes of searching, reloading, restarting, cussing etc...It's very frustrating. Especially when I only have a couple of hours to play.

I hope you get yours straightened out, Dan.

#11 Comet

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

I would go in and stop all instances of steam in my task manager.

Yup, I hear ya. This is how I have to start steam:

-click on DoD:S icon
-open task manager look under processes and delete steam
-repeat process

Once I've ended the process two times the game launches....usually. Once in a blue moon steam will actually do what it's suppose to and load when the computer starts. Of course those are the times when no one is playing, it's only when we have a player base that this shit happens....typical eh! I have reinstalled steam many a time, the same thing happens over and over again...perhaps I have to once again due to updates.

As of this morning nothing worked. I doubt buying the game in disc version would make any difference seeing as you need to go through steam to play....I'm not sure.

God bless BF1942!

#12 Why Two Kay

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

Clearly you're doing it wrong.

#13 mike080697

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

:rofl:

#14 Comet

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:51 PM

Clearly you're doing it wrong.

Wrong works, right doesn't = Steam

#15 Hartley

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:28 PM

God bless BF1942!

And god bless the pygmies....

AMEN!

#16 Darkwing_X

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:14 PM

never screwed up for me...It must just love me.

#17 AnonymousFlash

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:57 PM

The worst thing Steam ever did to me was fixable by simply restarting Steam...I guess it loves me too because I never have these horror stories.

#18 general ramsey

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:23 PM

I agree with my dad here...

"Steam is a Steaming pile of sh!t"

realy hes ur dad :blink:

i can get steam up and runing perfectly :applaud:

ps are you only saying this cause of my sig ;)

#19 Catfish

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:47 PM

If it makes you feel better Comet I can't get any links to work in Steam anymore. I can play games fine but if I want to buy a new one or even just browse them it's a no go.

#20 Comet

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

That sucks Seth, we'll get through this.

I worked on it for a few hours last night, I made some progress. I can now click on the Steam/game icon and...it will load! Now I get a screen saying Steam is down and or my internet isn't running yet it is...perhaps a router issue.

I'll hope to figure this out soon, I will however be out of game until I do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com